thanks solved

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

tytyty

Message 1 of 10 (2,858 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: US Origin Download/Play for Troops stationed overseas

★★ Novice

Could anyone reply soon, I know that Simcity comes out soon.

View in thread

Message 2 of 10 (2,836 Views)

All Replies

★★ Novice

Could anyone reply soon, I know that Simcity comes out soon.

Message 2 of 10 (2,837 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I feel your pain.  I'm in South Korea as well, and I had to have a buddy back home actually do the digital purchase for me on the US website.  Then I could download it here.  

EA/Origin autodetects you IP address and then AUTOMATICALLY, NO "IF'S, ANDS, or BUTS" shunts you to the LOCAL EA/Origin shop.

I tried using some VPN software to get to the US store, but it won't authorize the credit card wen accessing the US store that way.

I know, it's a pain in the butt....

~Dabbaranks

Message 3 of 10 (2,802 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

my recomendation is to speak to origin customer service directly, but you might have to wait for hours before someone speak to you.

Message 4 of 10 (2,793 Views)

★★ Guide

Somehow I have a feeling that waiting for customer service might be highly inconvenient given where he is and what he's doing... I wish I could help you and I hope you get the answer you're looking for from someone.  Thank you for your service.

Message 5 of 10 (2,790 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hi charleswagner22,

You are free to play on any Server you like and can switch between them at any time from the SimCity Launcher. There are no language or location restrictions on servers, so you can play with your friends from around the globe, and connect with players from all over the world. The geographic location of your server won't affect your gameplay or cause any lag or loading issues.

How to switch servers: https://answers.ea.com/t5/SimCity-2013/FAQ-How-to-Choose-a-SimCity-Server/td-p/611804

How do servers work in SimCity: https://help.ea.com/article/how-do-servers-work-in-simcity

Message 6 of 10 (2,788 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

It's not just the language, the games cost more on the non-US EA/Origin stores.  Part of the whole internet business model is the reliance on your BILLING ADDRESS, not you current location.  Agreements were set up to allow the sales of digital media so that borders don't matter for your location (a la buying iTunes apps while overseas).

I don't understand why EA/Origin can't follow the same model as almost every other international digital media corporation...

~D

Message 7 of 10 (2,777 Views)

★★★ Newbie

That doesn't answer the question at all, I am having the same issue. We are talking about the language setting for the EA store itself, where EA has it set for what it feels is the local language. I am wanting to buy Battlefield 4 but I can't because like the other I am also in South Korea and if you connect on a VPN then it wont take your credit card, and if you try to order a korean game from past experiences you need a Korean Citizen ID, which service members to not have access to. It doesn't even matter if the servers have different language when you can't even purchase the game.

Message 8 of 10 (2,632 Views)

★★★ Newbie

6 years later this is still a problem for US service members around the world who want to buy games, but do not wish to pay in foreign currency. My account is set up as a North American account, but since I access the internet from Korea I will continue to have to pay in Korean Won. 

EA Origin as a service continues to lag behind other digital distributors because of silly reasons.

Note: Steam occasionally will show Korean Won but lets me change the setting at will to purchase in USD.

Message 9 of 10 (1,291 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Baromosa  -  I am so sorry to hear this. I did several searches on Answers HQ, and could not find any recent answers that sound helpful. 

As a fellow player, the only thought I had is maybe you could purchase it through Amazon or another online retailer that allows you to purchase via U.S. currency. That would get the U.S. download version, but I don't know how comparable the prices would be. If that's not an option, or not a good option, you could try contacting EA support:

1. Click on the following link https://help.ea.com/en/origin
  2. Choose Billing/Purchasing from the issue list
  3. Go to Contact us button at the bottom of the page
  4. Select the platform you play on
  5. Describe your issue in "Please tell us a bit more about your issue"
  6. Select a contact option.

From what I've read, using a vpn will not help as it will not validate your credit card through a vpn.

Maybe one of our Community Managers will have a better answer for you @EA_Barry  @EA_Darko  - Any help on this issue?

@Baromosa wrote:

6 years later this is still a problem for US service members around the world who want to buy games, but do not wish to pay in foreign currency. My account is set up as a North American account, but since I access the internet from Korea I will continue to have to pay in Korean Won. 

EA Origin as a service continues to lag behind other digital distributors because of silly reasons.

Note: Steam occasionally will show Korean Won but lets me change the setting at will to purchase in USD.

Message 10 of 10 (1,280 Views)