Re: Tutorial Bug: Buy Water from Lucky Shores, No Neighboring Water Providers

by BlackjackWidow

Original Post

★ Novice

‎04-16-2013 06:52 AM

So it appears this bug was first reported (on this thread) in April 2013. It is now August 2016. I am a first time, Sim City player, and just ran into this bug. Very disappointed. In my job, if you take over 24 hours to respond to a customer complaint, you get in trouble. Over three YEARS have passed and EA does not seem concerned. Odd.

Guess I will be skipping the useless tutorial.............................................

Message 21 of 38 (2,319 Views)

★ Novice

Just bought the game from Origin for Christmas 2016.  Had the exact same problem.  I was not satisfied with just skipping the tutuorial, so I read through all these posts and what "Swiftalicious" suggested below worked for me.  I was able to thankfully get through the complete tutorial.  Seems to me that the key here is to ALT+F4 to get out of the game instead of any other method, of which I tried a few.  So I've copied and pasted what Swiftalicious suggested below.  Glad I was persistent.  Love the game, but I'm well aware I'll probably come across some more bugs and hope I can find a way around them.  Thanks Swiftalicious! 

It is shocking to see such an old thread still unanswered and the bug still existing! As a developer myself, it's a shame to see such neglect from the team behind the project.

Since EA obviously are not helping out here, maybe I can. It seems like this issue is a timing bug. I managed to alt+F4 out of the game and go back to do the tutorial again and rush through up to that point as quickly as possible (as I'm sure the QA team did), and it worked ok that time round.

A shame to have a kinda rubbish solution but I was at least able to complete the tutorial next time round.

Message 22 of 38 (2,205 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm truly disappointed by EA for not fixing this. I've just bought the game and I do want to play the tutorial! Shame on you!

Message 23 of 38 (2,136 Views)

★★★ Newbie

June 2017, still not fixed.

Message 24 of 38 (1,990 Views)

★★★★ Novice

December 2017, Still not fixed!!!!

Angry

Message 25 of 38 (1,874 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Spoke to EA support and they got me to do the following:

1) Close the game (if loaded)..

2) Rename the "Simcity" folder in your documents director to anything else (Eg, SimcityOLD)  -  "c:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\SimCity\

3) Start the game and re-run the tutorial (can do this from options), speed through until you get back to the water buying part and it should then work!

All up it should only take a few min for all steps above now that we know the work around/solution... Hope it helps others..

Enjoy!

Message 26 of 38 (1,870 Views)

★★★ Newbie

June 2018 and still not fixed.

Message 27 of 38 (1,678 Views)

★★★ Newbie

November 2018, still not fixed.

Message 28 of 38 (1,388 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hi @nathelse! I'm sorry you're having this issue. I can tell you some people don't have the problem, and it happens for others every time. Unfortunately, since it's a legacy game, SimCity has a few quirks that won't ever be fixed, but we can do our best to work around them. I know I ran into this once, but I can't replicate it now.

Did you try the suggestion about clicking through the first part quickly? That worked for me when I had the problem. Repairing the game might also help. First, the basics - make sure that you set Origin.exe and SimCity.exe to "Run As Administrator". Make certain both programs are added to your antivirus and firewall exception lists. Then try these steps:

1. Close the game; use Alt-F4 if necessary, and make sure you don't have any windows hidden in the background (check the task bar and alt-tab through your open windows)
  2. Delete the SimCityUserData folder. The default location is Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityUserData (Don't worry about saving it, the game will recreate it on login)
  3. In Origin, right-click the SimCity icon and click "Repair"
  4. After the repair completes, open SimCity and restart the tutorial by going into the options menu and clicking "Getting Started"
  5. Speedily click through the early parts of the tutorial until you reach the "buy water from your neighbor" part; you should be able to buy the water and continue through the tutorial at normal speed. (You shouldn't have to use "panic-click" speed, just don't linger on any particular screen, especially in the "region view" part, until you get through the trouble spot.)

If you absolutely can't get it to work, you can choose to skip the tutorial in the options menu. If you end up doing that, make sure you enable the mini-tutorials. Check the box in Options > Gameplay > Enable Mini-Tutorials. These will give you more in-depth tips along the way.

I hope you're able to get through the tutorial. Happy Building!

Message 29 of 38 (1,373 Views)

★★★ Newbie

7 years later and this still isn't fixed?? 

Message 30 of 38 (1,018 Views)