Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Traffic "AI"... This is why services and traffic are broken!

by cynicaldriver
Reply

Original Post

Re: Traffic/Agent path-finding "AI"... Why so much of the game feels broken.

★★ Guide

@jlyonah wrote:

Would be great if you can stick this topic somewhere so it won't get lost. 

Explains a lot of dumbness in the game. 

 

I wonder how long will it take them to fix it. or may be it is not broken, just switched off. It is still hard for me to believe that such huge and well known companies did not test such fundamental feature of the game. 

 

Need to find another game to play while waiting for patches. 


I would "sticky" it, if I could. I'm just a regular customer like you.

 

I think they did test it, and that their idea of a "city" is much smaller than ours. I expect they never tried to build a city with over 100k population, and that they never tested the effects of turning features off to reduce server loads.

Message 11 of 875 (17,547 Views)

Re: Traffic/Agent path-finding "AI"... Why so much of the game feels broken.

★★★★ Apprentice

Ugh. Thanks for destroying my interest to play this game. It's like you just informed me my delicious cheeseburger was in fact made of pink slime.

Message 12 of 875 (17,541 Views)

Re: Traffic/Agent path-finding "AI"... Why so much of the game feels broken.

★★ Guide

@Blazur wrote:

Ugh. Thanks for destroying my interest to play this game. It's like you just informed me my delicious cheeseburger was in fact made of pink slime.


Well, at least I told you about the pink slime before you ate it :D

Message 13 of 875 (17,536 Views)

Re: Traffic/Agent path-finding "AI"... Why so much of the game feels broken.

★★★★ Novice

@cynicaldriver wrote:
I would "sticky" it, if I could. I'm just a regular customer like you.

 

I think they did test it, and that their idea of a "city" is much smaller than ours. I expect they never tried to build a city with over 100k population, and that they never tested the effects of turning features off to reduce server loads.


Sorry, I thought you are one of the devs or the support team looking at your forum title. 

Message 14 of 875 (17,536 Views)
0

Re: Traffic/Agent path-finding "AI"... Why so much of the game feels broken.

★★ Guide

@jlyonah wrote:

@cynicaldriver wrote:
I would "sticky" it, if I could. I'm just a regular customer like you.

 

I think they did test it, and that their idea of a "city" is much smaller than ours. I expect they never tried to build a city with over 100k population, and that they never tested the effects of turning features off to reduce server loads.


Sorry, I thought you are one of the devs or the support team looking at your forum title. 


Nope, it's just a "badge" that I can put there. I'm not sure if it comes with rank or not. You can see if you can add it to yours by mousing over your name in the top-right and selecting "HQ settings." Then choose "social connect" and then the "Badge Settings" link. It may only be available after a certain rank, but I only bothered to find it after I got "operative" rank.

Message 15 of 875 (17,514 Views)

Re: Traffic/Agent path-finding "AI"... Why so much of the game feels broken.

★★★★ Novice

OP is spot on, and it would behoove EA/Maxis to acknowledge this, ideally with a fix, but at least with work-around suggestions, or at the very very least, an acknowledgement.

 

This ain't going away, and the word is spreading.

Message 16 of 875 (17,485 Views)

Re: Traffic/Agent path-finding "AI"... Why so much of the game feels broken.

★★★★ Novice
what makes it worse: Once sims are walking, they will not use masstransit. Even when their direction changes because jobs in a building are fullfilled, they will not use mass transit again. what makes it even more worse: Shopping people behave the same way. They will leave the house as walkers because you placed a park there for landvalue. 5 people will use the park. Then the other 100 change target to a shop. But they will not use masstransit, they will walk since they spawned this way. They will walk and probably not reach the destination.
Message 17 of 875 (17,463 Views)

Re: Traffic/Agent path-finding "AI"... Why so much of the game feels broken.

★★★★★ Novice

Having the same issue.

 

I'm watching my city burn while I have 10+ firetrucks circling around one block for a mobile home while other places burn.

 

Similar issue with police.  I saw about 10 cops all lined up in a row with not criminals around them yet there are criminals all over the city.

Message 18 of 875 (17,454 Views)

Re: Traffic/Agent path-finding "AI"... Why so much of the game feels broken.

★★★★ Novice

@lanague wrote:
what makes it worse: Once sims are walking, they will not use masstransit. Even when their direction changes because jobs in a building are fullfilled, they will not use mass transit again. what makes it even more worse: Shopping people behave the same way. They will leave the house as walkers because you placed a park there for landvalue. 5 people will use the park. Then the other 100 change target to a shop. But they will not use masstransit, they will walk since they spawned this way. They will walk and probably not reach the destination.

I noticed this earlier. I built a mixed zone of residential and commercial. At 6am/pm a load of workers left their homes on foot to get a job in the local shops. Of course, the jobs soon filled up, and some of the pedestrian workers were unable to find a job. Rather than get on public transport or a car and travel to some empty jobs a bit further away they just walked in the general direction before getting bored and going home jobless.

I really thought that once the servers were fixed we'd have a great game to play, but instead we have this. Out of the frying pan and into the fire Confusedmileysad:

Message 19 of 875 (17,438 Views)

Re: Traffic/Agent path-finding "AI"... Why so much of the game feels broken.

★★ Guide

@donpost wrote:

@lanague wrote:
what makes it worse: Once sims are walking, they will not use masstransit. Even when their direction changes because jobs in a building are fullfilled, they will not use mass transit again. what makes it even more worse: Shopping people behave the same way. They will leave the house as walkers because you placed a park there for landvalue. 5 people will use the park. Then the other 100 change target to a shop. But they will not use masstransit, they will walk since they spawned this way. They will walk and probably not reach the destination.

I noticed this earlier. I built a mixed zone of residential and commercial. At 6am/pm a load of workers left their homes on foot to get a job in the local shops. Of course, the jobs soon filled up, and some of the pedestrian workers were unable to find a job. Rather than get on public transport or a car and travel to some empty jobs a bit further away they just walked in the general direction before getting bored and going home jobless.

I really thought that once the servers were fixed we'd have a great game to play, but instead we have this. Out of the frying pan and into the fire Confusedmileysad:


This is why I try and separate my zones from each other. It helps to force them into "tansport mode" when they leave in the morning. Basically, put a block between the houses and the jobs, and fill the block with city services (city-hall, school, fire, police, etc...) It ensure the services are always staffed, and causes more of the "workers" to take cars and mass-transit.

Message 20 of 875 (17,401 Views)

fifa-20-promo-splash

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help