Re: Solar Power shared across cities -- doesn't work unless in city

by BlackjackWidow

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Solar Power shared across cities -- doesn't work unless in city

★★★ Guide

So, I have the complete edition of SimCity. I am playing a region with 16 cities, 4 cities in each great work section. In one section I have an Elite Megatower supplying 560MW to the entire road connected section with 3 of the 4 cities developed. The two cities that are purchasing power will state they are out of power. I have to go into the city for the power to flow. 

• City Providing Power (Academy Isle) -- produces 560MW and uses 111.3MW
  • Cities purchasing power (224.3MW available in the region, not sure why that number since 560-111.3=448.7)
    1. requires 34.9MW (Green Omega)
    2. requires 2.3MW (Green Shores)

As you can see, even on battery power, there is ample power being supplied, yet the cities lose power unless I am actively in them. Why is that?

Each city supplies its own water. One of the cities that frequently loses power also loses water. It is using a mere fraction of the power available and water available but keeps losing it. If this continues, I feel all my hard work to start the city will result in it being abandoned. I intentionally want this section to be green and not produce any dirty industry or very little of it, as I keep getting messages that the entire region is full of air pollution. Mind you I have only started 6 of the 16 cities in the region and they haven't been going for a year, so not sure how the entire region is full of pollution when only three cities produce Omega, two of them are in the Omega section.

Is this a known bug?

If yes, is there a workaround?

If no, what do I need to do to prevent the power from shutting off?

Even on battery power, the Megatower crown is providing more than enough power for the three cities.

Message 1 of 5 (657 Views)

Accepted Solution

Hero (Retired)

Hi @troshalom The regional view from the supplying city will sometimes show that "needs power" or "needs water" message. If, when you go into the purchasing city, it is receiving power then it is all good. The cities don't advance in time while you're not playing them, so it's more than likely a synchronization thing. If Green Omega and Green Shores are both running fine when you go in to manage them, then just proceed from there. You will not have the city go abandoned due to lack of power if you're not playing it.

That being said, regional synchronization can be confusing sometimes. If Academy Isle is a couple of years ahead of the others, and sometime in the past had a glitch with the power (say, traffic got bad and the power plant didn't have any workers for a small time) you may forget about that and then later, running Green Omega suddenly it loses power for no apparent reason - it could be catching up in time to that one glitch. At this point, you have plenty of power for the needs on the other two, just be aware that with any service sharing you want to be mindful of how much the other cities will need further down the line.

Very important to note - all utility sharing splits the available power/water/sewer among all of the claimed cities in the region. That is why you have 224.3 available to each city, instead of the full 560. So, as soon as you claim that 4th city, the available power to every one of them will be split again, even if you don't use it. So, your available power to each city right now is really 149.6, unless you never claim that 4th city.

As far as the pollution goes - check your wind map. Omega produces a TON of pollution. Air pollution travels along with the wind, just like in real life. Your Omega cities are probably upwind from the others, blowing those gases across to the neighboring cities Standard smile  

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (644 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

Hi @troshalom The regional view from the supplying city will sometimes show that "needs power" or "needs water" message. If, when you go into the purchasing city, it is receiving power then it is all good. The cities don't advance in time while you're not playing them, so it's more than likely a synchronization thing. If Green Omega and Green Shores are both running fine when you go in to manage them, then just proceed from there. You will not have the city go abandoned due to lack of power if you're not playing it.

That being said, regional synchronization can be confusing sometimes. If Academy Isle is a couple of years ahead of the others, and sometime in the past had a glitch with the power (say, traffic got bad and the power plant didn't have any workers for a small time) you may forget about that and then later, running Green Omega suddenly it loses power for no apparent reason - it could be catching up in time to that one glitch. At this point, you have plenty of power for the needs on the other two, just be aware that with any service sharing you want to be mindful of how much the other cities will need further down the line.

Very important to note - all utility sharing splits the available power/water/sewer among all of the claimed cities in the region. That is why you have 224.3 available to each city, instead of the full 560. So, as soon as you claim that 4th city, the available power to every one of them will be split again, even if you don't use it. So, your available power to each city right now is really 149.6, unless you never claim that 4th city.

As far as the pollution goes - check your wind map. Omega produces a TON of pollution. Air pollution travels along with the wind, just like in real life. Your Omega cities are probably upwind from the others, blowing those gases across to the neighboring cities Standard smile  

Message 2 of 5 (645 Views)

Hero (Retired)
Just another thought/tip - you have an obvious plan, so probably not useful for this region but something that I do is to designate one city to be the utility city for the region. I build up a boring city of all low wealth medium density (easiest to keep happy with high taxes & pollution lol), and plop several oil power plants, water & sewage facilities. Set the oil power plants to buy the oil, get them all running so you have tons of services available - then share to the region and leave the city. If you never play it again, the power plants never run out of oil and every city gets to start with those services being supplied.
Message 3 of 5 (642 Views)

★★★ Guide
Thanks, I will do that. Just have to remind myself not to play the utility city.
Message 4 of 5 (618 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Or, just turn off everything but 1 of each when you go in, so they're not using any resources. Just don't be like me and forget to turn stuff back on when you're done Standard smile

Message 5 of 5 (607 Views)