Simcity wont launch

by dragzonox

Original Post

Simcity wont launch

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

After I press the green play button, the game music plays but the screen just keeps blinking black and desktop on and on.

I tried what I could find on google, but it didn't seem to solve this issue.

Soulution: I had to uninstall and then reinstall the game, repairing didn't do the trick

Message 1 of 15 (1,285 Views)

Re: Simcity wont launch

Hero (Retired)

Hi @dragzonox - when this happens, it usually means something is blocking the game's access to the Internet. Always run installation files "As Administrator". 

1. Make sure your firewall and antivirus are not blocking SimCity.exe, and that it is added to the exception lists. I know when mine updates, it occasionally likes to change settings for no good reason. If you have BitDefender installed, disable it.
  2. Make sure your graphics drivers and Windows are patched and updated 
  3. Set the desktop icons to run SimCity.exe and Origin.exe as administrator
  4. If you have the sound program Nahimic 2 from MSI installed, disable or uninstall it. Nahimic 2 is known to cause this issue.
  5. In Origin, right-click SimCity icon, Game Properties, check the box that says "Disable Origin In-game"
  6. Set the SimCity desktop icon to run in Windows 7 or 8 compatibility mode.
  7. If you have any mods installed, uninstall them

If none of these work, try a clean boot and attempt to launch SimCity. If it launches, you'll have some detective work to do, enable one startup program at a time, reboot, try SimCity, until you find the program that is blocking it. Once you find the offending program, disable or uninstall it. You should be able to launch SimCity successfully without doing the clean boot after disabling the offending program.

Please post back with results, and any error messages if it still won't launch. Good luck!

Message 2 of 15 (1,272 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
I tried all the following, without any luck.
This is how it looks as: https://youtu.be/XWzFsZyO0Qo
Message 3 of 15 (1,258 Views)

Hero (Retired)

That is definitely frustrating. You're sure you don't have MSI's sound program Nahimic 2? It's an audio management program that comes with MSI motherboards, and it can cause problems like this. Also you have to run Origin in the background, but it would normally pop up an error message, which I didn't see in your video.

A couple of other things - SimCity is an old program, it does not work well with 4k monitors or dual monitor settings. Double-check your display graphic settings - set your display to single monitor mode (sometimes it gets set to dual even if you have only one monitor, so definitely check), and set your desktop display to max resolution 1080p. If you're using a proxy, disable it. 

Right-click the SimCity icon and choose Properties > Compatibility tab > Click "Change high DPI settings" > High DPI scale override. Click the checkbox override scaling behavior and choose Scaling performed by Application. Click "OK", then on the same tab make sure it's set to "Run As Administrator" and "Windows 8 compatibility mode". (I know you can just choose to "Run as Administrator" when you launch, but it seems to be best to set it and run from a desktop shortcut instead of any other way)

Go into Origin and right-click the SimCity icon, uncheck "Enable Origin In-game". Right-click SimCity in Origin and choose "repair game". Really hoping this helps. If not, reply back with a Dxdiag report so we can see more info.

Message 4 of 15 (1,255 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I searched add remove programs, for Nahimic 2, didn't find it. I have an ASUS motherboard btw.

My monitor is running, 1080p, nor using a proxy

I changed the settings a instructed to the file in: Origin Games\SimCity\SimCity\simcity.exe

- DPI settings, run as windows 8, and as admin.

I had Origin in-game turned off. Repairing the game, didn't do anything.

I'm going to reinstall origin next?

Message 5 of 15 (1,246 Views)

Hero (Retired)

lol - pretty sure you've been here before, yes - if I were you, I would do a complete uninstall of Origin and SimCity. When you reinstall, do both "as administrator". 

I see by your dxdiag report that you have GTX 970 video card. I *think* I've seen some issues on the board regarding that particular card. You might want to search the board for that specific board to see if there's anything else we haven't tried. There's also an error related to steam listed - I honestly am very bad at reading dxdiag reports in general, and even worse when it's not in English (I so admire you for being able to converse in English when your first language is Danish - wish I were that talented).

Anyway, I'm going to page my favorite troubleshooter @EA_Mai, who may be better able to help. Any help you can give, Mai, would be very appreciated.

Message 6 of 15 (1,240 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@dragzonox - just checking in, did you resolve your issue?

I did some more searching, couldn't find anything related to the video card, so I must have had something else in mind.
Message 7 of 15 (1,198 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA app Team

I think you have it covered, @BlackjackWidow Standard smile

Another thing I can think of, as I see you have several devices connected, is disconnecting as many as possible, those you don't need to play. For example, a webcam, second monitor, controllers, etc. Leave the basics - a keyboard, mouse and monitor, then turn on your computer and give it another try.

It's not likely to be the cause but doesn't harm to give it a try, considering you have the basics performed already.

Thanks,
-Mai

Message 8 of 15 (1,179 Views)

Hero (Retired)
There have been issues with dual monitor setups and SimCity. I mentioned in earlier post - great idea to just disconnect as a test.
Message 9 of 15 (1,173 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I only have one monitor  connected to this pc, and it dosen't seem to do any diffrence when disconnecting the usb deviceses 

Message 10 of 15 (1,115 Views)