Re: Simcity hangs on loading city

by BlackjackWidow

Original Post

Simcity hangs on loading city

★★★ Newbie

When I try to load a city the game hangs on the loading screen herding llamas forever. What can be done to fix this bug??

Message 1 of 7 (1,431 Views)

Hero (Retired)
Need a little more information - have you successfully loaded cities before? Are you trying to claim a new city, or enter one that you've played in the past? Are you playing multiplayer (online) or single player (offline)?

Some quick things to try regardless of the above: Set your desktop shortcut to "run as Administrator"; double-check that SimCity and Origin are both added to exception lists for your firewall and antivirus. Disable or uninstall BitDefender if you have it installed. Right-click SimCity icon in Origin, choose game properties and check the box that says "disable Origin in game for this game".
Message 2 of 7 (1,400 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This is my issue now. When claiming a new city in a region which already has claimed cities. Claiming new a new city in the region now just hangs on loading. I have started a few new regions to test this, and once I establish the first city, no other new cities will load.

Message 3 of 7 (1,235 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@ksalzburg wrote:

This is my issue now. When claiming a new city in a region which already has claimed cities. Claiming new a new city in the region now just hangs on loading. I have started a few new regions to test this, and once I establish the first city, no other new cities will load.

Hi @ksalzburg - First, make sure you're following the tips I posted earlier (run as Administrator, SimCity.exe and Origin.exe are on antivirus and firewall exception lists, etc). Also, if you have the MSI sound program Nahimic 2 installed, uninstall or disable it - it is known to block SimCity. Anything "hanging" on loading is usually because something is blocking the game. 

• Try repairing the game - In Origin, right-click SimCity game icon and choose "Repair". 
  • Delete your SimCityUserData folder - exit SimCity and Origin; default location is \Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityUserData. Delete the whole SimCityUserData folder. When you launch the game again, it will recreate the folder. 
  • Try claiming new cities from the region view, instead of from the main menu. Enter a claimed city, go to region view, click on the city you wish to claim and attempt from there
  • In a new region, claim all of the regional cities BEFORE you start playing any of them.

If you're in a private region, and you're not the owner, I believe the game limits you to being able to claim only one or two cities. If this is your issue, you can try having the owner of the region unfriend you and then send you another friend request and invite. I've seen a few comments that said this fixed some issues with claiming in a private region. 

Hope something in here helps you. Happy building!

Message 4 of 7 (1,223 Views)

★ Apprentice

I had this problem also.  It seems that if you do not claim a city, you can not load same city. Here's a scenario – Create a region (any configuration) and only claim one city.  Play the one city for awhile but decide to add a second city.  Go to region panel from the main menu and select new city.  Notice that there is NO claim panel when you do this, only the play panel.  Play will cause the city to hang while trying to load.  You must CLAIM first. There are two ways to get around this bug.  1 - When you create the region, claim all cities at that time.  2 - If you did not claim all cities during region creation, then go into the first region and select and claim the second city from the region view.  This works whether you save or don't save your last city.  Again, this is just another small problem with SC.  

Message 5 of 7 (1,066 Views)

★ Apprentice
I had this problem also. It seems that if you do not claim a city, you can not load same city. Here's a scenario – Create a region (any configuration) and only claim one city. Play the one city for awhile but decide to add a second city. Go to region panel from the main menu and select new city. Notice that there is NO claim panel when you do this, only the play panel. Play will cause the city to hang while trying to load. You must CLAIM first. There are two ways to get around this bug. 1 - When you create the region, claim all cities at that time. 2 - If you did not claim all cities during region creation, then go into the first region and select and claim the second city from the region view. This works whether you save or don't save your last city. Again, this is just another small problem with SC.
Message 6 of 7 (1,065 Views)

Hero (Retired)
Great insight to this problem, your solution makes perfect sense. Thanks!
Message 7 of 7 (1,053 Views)