Simcity Crash OSX 10.13

by PL4R

Original Post

Re: Simcity Crash OSX 10.13

★★★ Guide
And if anyone was wondering why this fix takes so long, @MaxisBazajaytee told me in DM "We are working with Apple on this issue directly so it is taking longer than usual to come to a resolution."
Message 61 of 125 (2,066 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same here, crashing permanently, no solutions found by EA Assistance, no proposition of refund…

Message 62 of 125 (1,930 Views)

★ Novice

EA support gave me multiple suggestions including uninstalling SC and Origin from Mac and Mac library,  reinstalling SC and Origin, creating a new user account on the Mac, disabling proxy,disabling firewall, and using Safe Mode. None of these helped, and the game still closes immediately. EA and Maxis have not updated the software to make it compatible with the current MAC OS. There most likely are not enough sales, if there are any new sales of SC, for EA/Maxis to spend the money to do this, They care nothing about their customers who bought the game. I would be extremely surprised if EA/Maxis fixes the problem.

Message 63 of 125 (1,862 Views)

★ Novice
I think that SC would play on a PC with Windows 7 or earlier or on a Mac with an older OS.
Message 64 of 125 (1,860 Views)

★ Novice
I played SC's 1st incarnation in 1989 and continued through SC 5.
Will miss the game. Cities: Skyline is not an adequate substitute.
Message 65 of 125 (1,854 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@jphlkhwrote:
I think that SC would play on a PC with Windows 7 or earlier or on a Mac with an older OS.

SC plays on Windows 10 64 bit and earlier. Graphics drivers need to be updated on any version of  Windows; there are some driver incompatibility issues with some past Radeon driver versions, which EA worked through with the manufacturers.

The OSX crashes started with the update to High Sierra; EA is working with Apple directly to solve the problem. It has been a very long and frustrating wait, but they have updated in this thread:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/SimCity-2013/Simcity-Crash-OSX-10-13/m-p/6521679#M126297:

@EA_Mage wrote:

Hello all,

We have escalated the issue to the studio and Maxis is investigating it.

At this time it appears as though the problem is related to use of the Intel GPU in your Macintosh. Maxis is working with Apple to further identify the root cause and determine the best resolution. We do not yet have a timeframe for a permanent solution.

While the investigation is proceeding you may be able to work around the problem by:

• Connect an external monitor before launching SimCity or the Origin client. The Intel GPU is typically used with the built-in display, but a second GPU (NVIDIA, AMD, etc) may be used if an external display is attached to your Macintosh.
  • Consider using a utility such as gfxCardStatus ( https://gfx.io/ ) to force your Macintosh to use a non Intel GPU. (Note that EA & Maxis do not support third party applications and encourage caution when using applications downloaded from unknown sources on the Internet.)

Thank you very much for patience and understanding.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/SimCity-2013/Simcity-Crash-OSX-10-13/m-p/6731576#M126683

@MaxisBazajaytee wrote:

We are working with Apple on resolving this compatibility issue with SimCity and the latest OS. 

We have provided Apple with as much detail as we can and will update as soon as we have more information.

Message 66 of 125 (1,822 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

You do realize the threads you are quoting are the same as the one you're currently writing in @BlackjackWidow?

Message 67 of 125 (1,777 Views)

Hero (Retired)
Lol, I do realize that, @jbd00. The whole reason I quoted them was because @jphlkh obviously didn't read the thread before posting his message. Wink
Message 68 of 125 (1,766 Views)

★★★ Novice
Yeah and both of the "fixes" you requoted are of no use for any of us using high sierra. Move along.
Message 69 of 125 (1,718 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Let's Wait for update!! Hurry UP ! 

Message 70 of 125 (1,647 Views)