Re: Simcity Crash OSX 10.13

by jbd00

Original Post

★★★ Guide

Well, EA has no developer working on SimCity

@Rhodabara, so it would be quite interesting how they would come up with a fix? My guesd is that they have abandoned the franchise alltogether.

Message 111 of 125 (2,915 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Rhodabara - Some people have had luck playing on a boot camp drive or virtual Windows pc; if you have access to one you might want to try that.  You've certainly tried just about everything - there was a post from EA back in October with a couple of suggestions. I've not seen anyone reporting that these worked for them, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it didn't. If you can get it to work, please let us know what worked for you. Here's a copy of the post:

@EA_Mage wrote:

Hello all,

We have escalated the issue to the studio and Maxis is investigating it.

At this time it appears as though the problem is related to use of the Intel GPU in your Macintosh. Maxis is working with Apple to further identify the root cause and determine the best resolution. We do not yet have a timeframe for a permanent solution.

While the investigation is proceeding you may be able to work around the problem by:

• Connect an external monitor before launching SimCity or the Origin client. The Intel GPU is typically used with the built-in display, but a second GPU (NVIDIA, AMD, etc) may be used if an external display is attached to your Macintosh.
  • Consider using a utility such as gfxCardStatus ( https://gfx.io/ ) to force your Macintosh to use a non Intel GPU. (Note that EA & Maxis do not support third party applications and encourage caution when using applications downloaded from unknown sources on the Internet.)

Thank you very much for patience and understanding.

Message 112 of 125 (2,903 Views)

★★★ Guide

Awesome news, guys! AspyrMedia, the developer responsible for the Mac Appstore version just DM'd me that they from recent talks with Apple are quite optimistic that the SimCity5-issues with the latest MacBook Pros and HighSierra will be fixed in 10.14 Mojave getting released this fall! I am using the developer beta of the software and will keep you updated if I get any OS-updates which fixes the issue Standard smile

Message 113 of 125 (2,566 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@jbd00 - That is amazing news! Congrats on that beta testing status, so great that you can work with them directly for a resolution. Can't wait to hear some positive news!
Message 114 of 125 (2,554 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

I am happy to officially announce SimCity 2013 once again is supported on MacBook Pro 15" 2017 and MacOS 10.14!

I just uninstalled and reinstalled the game, and look what happened!

The game will for you though not be supported until you receive the MacOS 10.14-update later this fall.

@EA_Mai Just wanted you to know this. But hello, IT HAS ALMOST BEEN A YEAR NOW!

Well, I will play SimCity2013 for the rest of the night on max settings now (:

I will check the stability and give you an update later.

Peace out!

FINALLYSkjermbilde 2018-08-18 kl. 22.56.45.pngAlso, a huge thanks to @BlackjackWidow for his dedication <3

Message 115 of 125 (2,517 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@jbd00 wrote:

I am happy to officially announce SimCity 2013 once again is supported on MacBook Pro 15" 2017 and MacOS 10.14!

I just uninstalled and reinstalled the game, and look what happened!

The game will for you though not be supported until you receive the MacOS 10.14-update later this fall.

@EA_Mai Just wanted you to know this. But hello, IT HAS ALMOST BEEN A YEAR NOW!

Well, I will play SimCity2013 for the rest of the night on max settings now (:

I will check the stability and give you an update later.

Peace out!

FINALLYSkjermbilde 2018-08-18 kl. 22.56.45.pngAlso, a huge thanks to @BlackjackWidow for his dedication <3

Awesome!! Did you lose all your progress when you uninstalled and reinstalled? I really hope it will work out for all of us!

Message 116 of 125 (2,506 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

I had tried to uninstall and reinstall multiple times on High Sierra without any luck, but on the latest update on my devbeta of 10.14 I got some strange error messages when I tried to launch the game, it for instance asked for permission to controll the computer. I therefore decided to give it a try to just clean the install and reinstall and BOOM.

But if you have some important saves you want to keep, there are actually ways to back them up when you uninstall and reinstall. Just google it! (: I needed to do that when I struggled with some defective mods on the game before.

UPDATE: I have now played the game without any issues on max resolution for some time!

Message 117 of 125 (2,497 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@jbd00 - This is fantastic news!! Thank you for not giving up, I think you single handedly kept it alive, so you're definitely the one with the dedication. 😀

I am so glad that the Mac community will be able to play SimCity again. And since you're beta testing, build a bunch of wild cities and try to break it lol. Congrats on this big win!

Message 118 of 125 (2,478 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Skjermbilde 2018-08-19 kl. 01.19.46.pngReally missed being able to do this (: I've been playing for a couple of hours now on max resolution without any interruptions, error, crashes, visual bugs. Kinda surreal, lol

Message 119 of 125 (2,473 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Awesome!! Did you lose all your progress when you uninstalled and reinstalled? I really hope it will work out for all of us!

@verovolle If you were playing online, your progress should be saved on the servers. The only thing would be if it's been too long - I think cities are marked abandoned after a year, which would mean you might have to try to reclaim your city. 

There is an official how to back up Origin games here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/backing-up-and-restoring-your-origin-games/

If you're working offline, all your cities are saved on your computer. Uninstall usually keeps it, but to be safe you could make a copy. For PC the location is \Users\<user name>\Documents\SimCity, so wherever the SimCity folder is on your Mac, you can just copy the entire SimCity folder & put it back after your reinstall. 

Message 120 of 125 (2,465 Views)