Re: Simcity 2013 launcher dosnt show and crash only in the windows 10 taskbar

by MaxisBazajaytee

Original Post

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Poor @Aithemed - I understand your frustration. I really hope we can get this sorted out. After all of this troubleshooting, I still think this is a connection problem. I will try to figure it out; maybe @EA_Mai or @MaxisBazajaytee would have some more suggestions for you if these don't work. 

First, back to the basics - Please make sure you have rebooted your router and computer. Also, make sure you have installed all the latest Microsoft Windows updates and most recent drivers for graphics card. (I know I asked you to try earlier drivers, but since that didn't work, make sure they're updated.) Make sure both Origin.exe and SimCity.exe are running as Administrator. 

Oh yes - Important! Reinstall your antivirus program (if you haven't already). Add Origin.exe and SimCity.exe to trusted programs list. You should turn it off during troubleshooting and installations, but you should not be running your computer without antivirus on it. Only the program named BitDefender conflicts with SimCity badly enough to uninstall. 

If at all possible, change from WiFi to a wired network connection. Cables are a lot more stable than WiFi, and can help prevent packet loss.

Disable proxies if you're using any.

Copy Update Files to SimCity folder. Go to Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityUserData\Patches\UpdatedApp  Select all files (Ctrl-A) and copy (Ctrl-C). Go to \Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity and paste (Ctrl-V). Choose to overwrite any files that already exist.

Check ports. Check your router and firewall and make sure the following ports are open to SimCity and Origin: UDP - port 442  TCP - port 80, 443, 8080. You might have to Google how to make sure the ports are open; different routers have different permissions and apps to manage them. I can't tell you how to do it; either find the router manufacturer online and look it up, or maybe contact your ISP if you're using one of theirs.

Try running a different game. Pick a newer game from Origin and see if you can run it. If you can, then the problem is SimCity. If you can't, the problem is with Origin.

Run a tracert and ping to easo.ea.com. Output to text file and post it here, like you did with your install log.

Run cmd.exe. Type "tracert easo.ea.com >C:\users\"Your_User_Name"\Desktop\trace.txt" without the quotation marks, substituting your windows user name for "Your_User_Name". That will run for a bit and then put a file called trace.txt on your desktop. If you have problems with the file, you can just have it go to C:\trace.txt and then move it wherever you'd like to keep it.

Run cmd.exe. Type "ping easo.ea.com >C:\users\"Your_User_Name"\Desktop\ping.txt" without the quotation marks, substituting your windows user name for "Your_User_Name". That will run for a bit and then put a file called ping.txt on your desktop. If you have problems with the file, you can just have it go to C:\ping.txt and then move it wherever you'd like to keep it.

Fully uninstall and reinstall Origin. First uninstall SimCity. The link I had for how to manually uninstall SimCity is broken and I can't find it anymore. You can comfortably delete or move the SimCity folders if any are left after the uninstall, at least. You can find the directions to completely uninstall Origin here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin#hard-way. Remember to run everything as Administrator, and turn off your antivirus program when you do the installs.

As a very last resort, Uninstall Windows Creator Fall Update. I don't recommend this, but it is possible that there is a conflict with Windows 10 Creator version. I know there are many reports of driver conflicts and other problems with the Creator version of Windows. It may not be possible to revert unless you have a clean copy of the earlier version anyway. 

I hope we can get some information from the trace and ping if nothing else works. Fingers crossed! 

Message 11 of 35 (954 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA Sims Team

The information that BlackjackWidow mentioned is a great start especially this one:

Copy Update Files to SimCity folder. Go to Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityUserData\Patches\UpdatedApp  Select all files (Ctrl-A) and copy (Ctrl-C). Go to \Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity and paste (Ctrl-V). Choose to overwrite any files that already exist.

Few suggestions/questions for you:

• You say you don't get a game window but
    • Do you see the game launcher show up or does nothing load onto screen?
    • if you press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and go to Task Manager, do you see SimCity listed in the running programs?
    • Do you get an error message?
  • Right click on SimCity.exe and select Run as Administrator
  • Delete  "<origin_games_dir>\SimCity\SimCityUserData\WebStorage" folder and run the game as Administrator (that directory will get recreated so don't worry)
  • Check your Antivirus software whether it is Defender, Avast etc and add SimCity to the safe list then run the game again

If those don't work, please find and attach to this thread the following files:

• In "<origin_games_dir>\SimCity\_Installer" find the InstallLog.txt and attach that
  • In "<origin_games_dir>\SimCity\SimCity\SimCityUserData\Patches" find the UpdateLog.txt and attach that

Thanks

Message 12 of 35 (943 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Frustation is not the Word, "I am Crazy as hell to play" hahaha =p. I admire your patiente to help me.

1.- Basic. Ethernet Conection, Microsoft Updates and Nvidia Driver 390.77 up to date (done).
2.- Kaspersky installed again, origin and simcity addes in the trusted and firewall apps (done)
3.-No proxies (done)
4.-Copy Update Files. That folder "SImCityUserData" dosnt exist in my PC, even after the resintall that I made in the last step. (done)
5.- Check Ports. Do as this page discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3415 on my Airport extreme (done)
6.-Running diferent games : Spore and Sims 3 are perfectly launching and running. (done)
7.- Tracert and Ping: trace : http://textuploader.com/dh5l4 Ping: http://textuploader.com/dh5lc (done)
9.- Unistall and Reinstall: Origin was unistalled by the hard way, and running CCleaner after. The Resintall of origin and simcity done as administrator. (done)

Same results
Message 13 of 35 (920 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hi, you are here,!!! is nice to have another help, BlackjackWindow is a nice guy but 2 brains thinks betther that one.

1.- I dont have that File or folder " SimCityUserData" I never have it from october or now after 30 installations aprox.  

2.- The game laucher show up on White in the task bar.

3.-CTRL+ALT+DELETE and go to Task Manager there is simcity running at 0%CPU 12.7 MB/ 0 mbs / 0 Mbps

4.- No error message.

1.- Run as Admin (done)

2.- Delete I repeat I dont have that Folder-File "simcityuserdata"

3.- Antivirus Kaspersky is config that simcity and origin are on the safe list

Files:

Installlog.txt http://textuploader.com/dh5q6

UpdateLog. txt I dont have that.

Message 14 of 35 (917 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Demethia wrote: 

Frustation is not the Word, "I am Crazy as hell to play" hahaha =p. I admire your patiente to help me.

1.- Basic. Ethernet Conection, Microsoft Updates and Nvidia Driver 390.77 up to date (done).
2.- Kaspersky installed again, origin and simcity addes in the trusted and firewall apps (done)
3.-No proxies (done)
4.-Copy Update Files. That folder "SImCityUserData" dosnt exist in my PC, even after the resintall that I made in the last step. (done)
5.- Check Ports. Do as this page discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3415 on my Airport extreme (done)
6.-Running diferent games : Spore and Sims 3 are perfectly launching and running. (done)
7.- Tracert and Ping: trace : http://textuploader.com/dh5l4 Ping: http://textuploader.com/dh5lc (done)
9.- Unistall and Reinstall: Origin was unistalled by the hard way, and running CCleaner after. The Resintall of origin and simcity done as administrator. (done)

Same results

Congrats on the full uninstall - the reinstall log is a full install, looks good. I noticed that you installed the US English version this time, not the Spanish? That's good, that was something I was going to ask you to try. Even though I've never seen any problems specifically with the Spanish version, hard to know if there's some little thing. Your ping and trace look beautiful, and since you don't have the userdata folder we can safely assume you've not made a connection to the server for some reason.

On both of your install logs, I noticed that you did not install desktop or menu icons. This is really grasping at straws, but try making a desktop icon for SimCity and Origin. Set them both to "Run As Adminstrator" and set the SimCity icon to run in Windows 7 or 8 compatibility mode.  Go into Origin and verify that you still have the "Disable Origin in Game" checkbox checked. Start SimCity from the desktop icon. Stick with the Ethernet connection until we get you in the game. 

If it doesn't work, post a dxdiag report. How to Dxdiag 

Also - do you have any special characters in your user name for Origin?

Message 15 of 35 (904 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@MaxisBazajaytee wrote:

The information that BlackjackWidow mentioned is a great start especially this one:

<snipped>

Thanks so much for the quick reply and help. 

Message 16 of 35 (900 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Yes I try the English Versión, mabye was that a part of the problem.

I not have the desktop menú icons because I am execute the game and origin from the "real".exe  that are on programs and files on C: thats why i dont créate the shortcuts. And I actívate the run as admin from there with left click.

1.-The disable origin in game (done)

2.-windows 7and 8 compability mode (done)

3.- ethernet conection always (done)

4.- no especial characters on origin username (done)

No solution

Dxdiag:

Message 17 of 35 (874 Views)

Hero (Retired)
I understand how you usually launch, but would you please make desktop icons and set them to run in Win 7 compatibility & run as Administrator? Give it a try.
Message 18 of 35 (862 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Ok iam doing this on your way.

1. Origin desktop icon on compatibility mode  for Windows 7 and run as an admin. (Done)

2. SimCity desktop icon on compatibility mode for windows 7 and run as an admin (done)

no results.

Message 19 of 35 (846 Views)

EA app Team
Hi @Aithemed,

Sorry to read after all the troubleshooting you have tried so far, game is still not launching. Frown

Just to make sure before suggesting anything else: when you tried the clean boot, did you try to launch the game before restarting the computer normally?

-Mai
Message 20 of 35 (842 Views)