SimCity on macOS Catalina

by arthrfrts

Original Post

Accepted Solution

SimCity on macOS Catalina

★ Guide

Hi!

I can't start SimCity on macOS Catalina (via Origin) due to the fact that the game client is a 32-bit app. Will the game be updated to remain compatible with the system?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8 (4,464 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: SimCity on macOS Catalina

Hero (Retired)

@arthrfrts @kjtester - as @sgs14 said, EA has no plans to update their legacy games (like SimCity) to run as a 64-bit application.

To continue running SimCity, there are a couple of options. You could create a bootable external hard drive or virtual machine running an earlier OS like Mojave, or boot camp your Mac and run the PC version. Or, as mentioned, Aspyr appears to be updating their version to run on 64 bit. Be aware that the Aspyr version would be single player only.

I highly recommend this excellent article, written by @Bluebellflora, outlining detailed instructions on the various options. https://bluebellflora.com/running-32-bit-apps-after-macos-mojave/ 

View in thread

Message 7 of 8 (4,375 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Newbie

In addition, if that issue won't be fixed, will be a refund?

Message 2 of 8 (4,425 Views)

Message 3 of 8 (4,416 Views)

★★★ Novice
@kjtester Refunded only under normal refund policy - not if you've had it for years.
Message 4 of 8 (4,415 Views)

★ Guide
@sgs14 I wonder if it will be updated on Origin as well. Aspyr is not the distribution company from the Origin version, it's EA.
Message 5 of 8 (4,407 Views)

★★★ Novice
@arthrfrts I doubt it. Origin/EA has done little / nothing to the app in years. At least through the App Store you have some quality control.
Message 6 of 8 (4,402 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@arthrfrts @kjtester - as @sgs14 said, EA has no plans to update their legacy games (like SimCity) to run as a 64-bit application.

To continue running SimCity, there are a couple of options. You could create a bootable external hard drive or virtual machine running an earlier OS like Mojave, or boot camp your Mac and run the PC version. Or, as mentioned, Aspyr appears to be updating their version to run on 64 bit. Be aware that the Aspyr version would be single player only.

I highly recommend this excellent article, written by @Bluebellflora, outlining detailed instructions on the various options. https://bluebellflora.com/running-32-bit-apps-after-macos-mojave/ 

Message 7 of 8 (4,376 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@kjtester wrote:

In addition, if that issue won't be fixed, will be a refund?

SimCity is a legacy game, which means it is no longer actively patched or updated. If you recently purchased the game, you can check out the great game guarantee here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/account/returns-and-cancellations

Message 8 of 8 (4,374 Views)