SimCity: Cities of tomorrow isn't launching on windows 10

by OmMi_Bhai

Original Post

SimCity: Cities of tomorrow isn't launching on windows 10

★★★ Newbie

After installing and updating it successfully, simcity: cities of tomorrow is not launching on Windows 10. 

When I try to launch it, a window appears to play/update the game. As I have already updated it, I click on play and nothing happens...

All of my drivers etc are updated, sfc scan did not show any corrupted files and clean boot did not help too. Apparently, there is not any reason that should cause problem with this game.

I have already wasted my money on GTA IV, having same issue, I don't want it to happen again with this game..

Message 1 of 6 (1,418 Views)

Re: SimCity: Cities of tomorrow isn't launching on windows 10

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Hi @OmMi_Bhai! I know how frustrating this can be. Quick things to check - Set Origin.exe and SimCity.exe to "Run As Administrator", make sure they're both added to your antivirus and firewall exception lists. If this is the first time you're trying to launch the game, you *might* need to leave the computer online to get it to launch. Just long enough to let it check files and create the save folders and such. Then you can disconnect and play entirely offline with no issues once it launches successfully the first time.

Do you have the MSI sound program Nahimic 2 installed? It's an audio management program that comes with some MSI motherboards. If so, disable or uninstall and try again. Nahimic 2 is known to block SimCity from launching.

Message 2 of 6 (1,411 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am sorry for the late reply but it didn't work, I left it online for a couple hours but nothing happened, Its still not launching. Now I think I should pirate games instead of buying them because the two "one-of-the-best" game publishers have failed to optimize their game for all PCs and I am done wasting money on them.

Because I live in Pakistan, here earning money is even more difficult every 'imported' or 'international' product is available for more than double price.

Message 3 of 6 (1,383 Views)

Hero (Retired)

I know it can be frustrating. I don't know about all of EA's games, but in this case, SimCity is an older game with no more development, so as the computers evolve, there are bound to be problems with it. I can successfully run it on Windows 10, so it's not like it's a lost cause or anything, but sometimes it can be a bit tricky for some people. I hope I can help to get you running. There are a lot of little things that can make a difference. Don't be too scared of the list, it looks long, but they're all quick little tweaks. Standard smile

Always run installation files "As Administrator". 

1. Firewall and Antivirus - Make sure SimCity.exe and Origin.exe are added to exception lists. If you have BitDefender installed, disable it.
  2. Graphics drivers and Windows OS are patched and updated to newest versions
  3. SimCity.exe and Origin.exe - Set them to run "as administrator"
  4. Nahimic 2 from MSI - this is an audio management program that comes with MSI motherboards. Disable or uninstall it. Nahimic 2 is known to cause this issue.
  5. Copy Update Files to SimCity folder. Go to Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityUserData\Patches\UpdatedApp  Select all files (Ctrl-A) and copy (Ctrl-C). Go to \Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity and paste (Ctrl-V). Choose to overwrite any files that already exist.
  6. Disable Origin in-game In Origin main menu, right-click SimCity icon, Game Properties, check the box that says "Disable Origin In-game"
  7. Run in Windows 7 or 8 compatibility mode - right-click SimCity shortcut; choose Properties > Compatibility tab > Check the box to run in Win 7 or 8 compatibility mode
  8. Disable Proxy if you're using one. If you're not, try using one.
  9. Monitor Settings - SimCity does not work with dual monitors, so set it to use one only. Also, no higher than 1080p resolution (no 4k)
  10. No Mods -  if you have any installed, uninstall them

If none of these work, try a Clean Boot and attempt to launch SimCity. If it launches, you'll have some detective work to do. Enable one startup program at a time, reboot, try SimCity, until you find the program that is blocking it. Once you find the offending program, disable or uninstall it. You should be able to launch SimCity successfully without doing the clean boot after disabling the offending program.

Definitely post back and let us know whether something worked. If it still won't run, reply back with any error messages you're getting and attach a dxdiag report. How to Dxdiag 

Message 4 of 6 (1,378 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Antivirus: Check

Drivers: Check

Admin privileges: Check

I don't have nahimic 2 from MSI.

Running in compatibility mode: Check

Disabling/Using proxy: Check

I have a monitor of resolution 1024 x 768, should not cause problems.

No mods: check

Clean boot: already performed a long time ago.

Problem is with update files: After I copied update files to the required folder and tried to launch the game, origin asked me again for login credentials (although I had checked the box 'remember me' first time I logged into it) and then it said 'you need to enter your product ID to play the game (although I'd already entered it first time I set it up) and now, guess what? I lost the product ID. I bought the hard copy of the game from a local game store and after installing, while it was being updated, I was throwing away trash and I  threw it away with trash thinking that I won't be need it again...

Message 5 of 6 (1,368 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@OmMi_Bhai wrote:

Problem is with update files: After I copied update files to the required folder and tried to launch the game, origin asked me again for login credentials (although I had checked the box 'remember me' first time I logged into it) and then it said 'you need to enter your product ID to play the game (although I'd already entered it first time I set it up) and now, guess what? I lost the product ID. I bought the hard copy of the game from a local game store and after installing, while it was being updated, I was throwing away trash and I  threw it away with trash thinking that I won't be need it again...

OK - so "Yay" for getting it to work. "Oh No!" on the product key.

If you already entered the ID, there is still hope. It is possible that this 2nd time you logged in using a different user id. Try any other email addresses you have - once you enter that product ID, it should have registered to your account and your game should be there. 

If you still can't find it, an Origin game advisor might be able to help. 

Go to https://help.ea.com/  (Make sure to log in)

In English, the choices are:  

Click Origin > PC > Codes and Promotions > Lost Code

At the bottom, click the blue button and choose your contact option. 

I hope that they can help you. Please let me know if you are able to finally play the game. Good luck!

Message 6 of 6 (1,356 Views)