Re: SimCity 5 on Windows 10 wont play

by Sunrock65

Original Post

SimCity 5 on Windows 10 wont play

★ Novice

I recently upgraded from windows 7 to 10. SimCity 5 worked fine on windows 7. I uninstalled and reinstalled. Now I get a notice saying I have an older video card. When I click the icon, i can hear music but the screen is in a smaller window and is black. All of my drivers are up to date. I have tried many suggestions and still nothing. What is going on?

Message 1 of 4 (12,320 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

Many people with Windows 10 have conflicting driver problems.  Ordinary updates to the graphics drivers tend to fail and leave a residue of API contents that have to be cleaned out when this happens.  Start over, remove the existing driver setup, then get a product similar to Cclean that searches out those problematic bits, have it do its job, and then run a clean install of drivers from the primary sources: AMD and nVIDIA.

P. S.  I have seen reports that many of the Geforce Dx11 drivers from nVIDIA are incompatible with various of EA's games, so for those cards, keep on swapping to different older drivers over and over . . (Clean Install each time). 

Message 2 of 4 (12,276 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I received the same error about my graphics card was not sufficient enough to play Sim City. However I was able to load the game and manually change all the settings to the highest possible at 1920x1080 60hz and the game runs just fine. I have a Radeon R9 270 2 Gb. My Windows 10 install was as clean as it can be upgrading as I choose to keep nothing after a clean Windows 8 install and did not install AMD Catalyst drivers until after Windows 10 install was complete.

Message 3 of 4 (12,265 Views)

★★★ Novice

Gorath, Many thanks to you. I could resolve my Simcity complete edition problem, I was not able to play the game for many months, I tried all the possible solution available on the blogs, and websites but nothing worked. I even contacted the EA tech team, they very very slow to respond and those dumb * did not have a clue after studying all the reports I submitted. Your idea of checking the nVIDIA Graphics card solved the issue, I had upgraded the nVIDIA card to the latest update because of that Simcity was not launching. When I restored to Original Integrated Version, it worked smoothly. A BIG THANK YOU.  

Message 4 of 4 (2,440 Views)