Re: SIMCITY Won't Launch - macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

by BlackjackWidow

Original Post

SIMCITY Won't Launch - macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

★ Novice

Hi There,

I thought I would play some SimCity.  After Origin required some updates to be installed.  I then restarted my Mac and relaunched Origin to play the game.  It loads up fine but it when comes to the Simcity main window I click on play.  After doing that, it does nothing!  The music still plays and my Mac doesnt tell me that the program isnt responding.  Please help!

Message 1 of 4 (3,401 Views)

@grantal77  I moved your post to the SimCity 2013 section of the forums (the other was for The Sims 3 and 4 for macs).  If you're playing a different version, let us know and someone will move the thread to the "Other SimCity Games" section; no need to post again.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 4 (3,377 Views)

★ Novice

Thankyou.

This is what I get after attempting to launch SC

Message 3 of 4 (3,364 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@grantal77 - Somehow I missed your post, so apologies for the time it has taken for me to get back to you. I don't know much about Macs, so you will have to forgive me if I mention something that doesn't make sense for you. 

Your screen shot looks like something is blocking SimCity from fully launching or reaching the Internet. For PCs, I would recommend that you make sure to set the program to run "as administrator". My Google-fu is failing me, I don't see any way that you can do that with a Mac. If you're aware of a way, that may help. 

Other easy things to check - make sure Origin.exe and SimCity.exe are both added to exception lists for your firewall, antivirus, and anti-malware programs. Make sure your OS and graphics card are updated to newest version. Try uninstalling/reinstalling SimCity. 

Sometimes SimCity will fail to copy update/install files - find the SimCityUserData folder, inside you should find Patches folder, inside that is UpdatedApp folder (on a PC the default location is Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityUserData\Patches\UpdatedApp). Select all files in UpdatedApp folder and copy; then paste to main SimCity folder (default location for PC is \Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity). You can also try to repair the game through Origin - In Origin, right-click the SimCity icon and choose "Repair Game".

Monitor Settings - SimCity does not work with dual monitors, so set it to use one only. Also, no higher than 1080p resolution (no 4k)

If none of these work, the problem may be trying to connect to the servers. Here are some Mac connection troubleshooting tips to try: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/mac/connection-troubleshooting-advanced-mac/

Please reply back to let us know if any of these worked. If they did not, please include your computer specs and any error messages you may have received. We need to get you building! 

Message 4 of 4 (3,291 Views)