Re: Run self update from the version already installed?

by BlackjackWidow

Original Post

Run self update from the version already installed?

★★★ Newbie

Please help.  I am trying to get Sim City to work on my laptop for my son. I get the following statement when I click Install: A version of Origin has been found on this computer.  This Installer cannot update the existing version. Please run self update from the version that is already installed.   My problem is that I cannot find THE VERSION on the computer.  I was hoping to uninstall it and then reinstall but cannot locate it.   Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this problem??  I know the disc I have is good as my son was playing the game last week on my other son's laptop.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 3 (626 Views)

★ Novice
having this same problem and it’s driving me mad
Message 2 of 3 (383 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Andrea_Nicole_04 - Origin has gone almost completely digital now. CD installs may just be wonky - I would suggest that you download the Origin client from https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/download. Make certain to "Run As Administrator", and check that Origin.exe is listed as an exception in your firewall and anti-virus. If it finds an existing Origin, it will do the update or uninstall for you.

Once you have Origin installed, follow the steps to Install Game from CD. Run all installation files "As Administrator", and when installed, right-click both the Origin and SimCity icons and set them to "Run As Administrator" to prevent any issues when trying to play SimCity. 

Message 3 of 3 (363 Views)