Regional Sharing

by alwe15

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Regional Sharing

★ Guide

Hi,

I have recently been playing SimCity over the last week or so. I find it difficult to work out what resources are actually being shared regionally? 

Are there any players with extensive gaming hours that can clarify this for me?

I am not only referring to resources such as power and water. These are my queries:

• Do workers / shoppers / students & freight actually commute correctly? For example, if I have 100 unemployed in one City and 100 available jobs in the second, will those 100 unemployed commute every day?
  • Does Power, Water and Sewage share correctly? I know that the available amount will split between claimed cities sharing a road but I have had great difficulty getting another City to accept Sewage. Also, City 1 suggests that it has, for example 100kwh Power available, but City 2 (the only other City on the map) can only purchase 90kwh?
  • Who are the tourists? I have placed a ploppable Municipal bus station and now I receive tourists to my City (orange people when Commercial data is selected). Where do these tourists come from because my other City has no unsatisfied shoppers.
  • How does sharing services work (Police, Ambulances etc.)? Can the second City run without such services if the first City provides enough of them? It would certainly reduce my monthly outgoings if one City didn't require a Police service or Hospital Standard smile
  • Is it possible to run three Cities, one of each zoning type? One residential, one commercial and one industrial?

I apologise in advance for the many many questions.

Message 1 of 11 (1,346 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Regional Sharing

Hero (Retired)

I'll try to help - in some cases, the problems aren't bugs or poor programming, it's just part of the game. There are some cases where the game just doesn't work as intended, but if you're aware of the issues you can work with it and still prevail. I have played this game on and off since launch 

@alwe15 wrote:

• Do workers / shoppers / students & freight actually commute correctly? For example, if I have 100 unemployed in one City and 100 available jobs in the second, will those 100 unemployed commute every day?

In a word - No. Unfortunately, they tried, but a number of issues with syncing online really screwed it up. Some regional things directly interact, others just "look" like they're working. So if you have 100 unemployed in one City, when you're in that city's regional view, it will look at the numbers of the other city and show workers commuting, but 100 sims do not actually track to the city with open jobs. The game treats it as if they are, in regional view, but after all my years of playing I have never been able to balance jobs in this manner.

Unfortunately, one of the bugs that is here to stay is Sims leaving a city for any reason lose their tracking and don't return. So it is best to balance population on a per-city basis. 

@alwe15 wrote:

• Does Power, Water and Sewage share correctly? I know that the available amount will split between claimed cities sharing a road but I have had great difficulty getting another City to accept Sewage. Also, City 1 suggests that it has, for example 100kwh Power available, but City 2 (the only other City on the map) can only purchase 90kwh?

Yes! Power, Water and Sewage sharing actually work really well. I generally set up a utility city in the region and stack all of those services in one city, share with the region and then never touch the utility city again (unless I need to add more capacity). You are correct - the available amount will be split evenly between claimed cities. Showing 90kwh available instead of 100kwh available may just be a matter of synching. The consumer city may need to play for a bit to catch up to the amount available from the supplier city, or vice versa.

@alwe15 wrote:
  • Who are the tourists? I have placed a ploppable Municipal bus station and now I receive tourists to my City (orange people when Commercial data is selected). Where do these tourists come from because my other City has no unsatisfied shoppers.

Tourists come from "The Region" - they're completely separate entities that appear when you add regional transportation, cultural or gambling facilities. This creates another layer of shoppers, known as tourists, that need to be managed with your commercial. 

@alwe15 wrote:

• How does sharing services work (Police, Ambulances etc.)? Can the second City run without such services if the first City provides enough of them? It would certainly reduce my monthly outgoings if one City didn't require a Police service or Hospital Standard smile

I like sharing services - police, fire, ambulances - when I set up a new city for just that reason. Why pay for all those workers when there's a fire or criminal once every 3 months? I would say it works well to cut costs at the beginning, but once your city reaches a certain population it becomes really ineffective really fast. I suggest using sharing as a startup option, but once the traffic or city size makes it so that they're not keeping up, build the stations in your new city. You should have the funds by the time you need them.

@alwe15 wrote:

• Is it possible to run three Cities, one of each zoning type? One residential, one commercial and one industrial?

Not really - mostly because of the "phantom" commuting I talked about earlier. You can successfully build an industrial city, but you'll still need at least a megatower or a section of the city with low wealth residential to actually keep the industry running. Residential must have commercial at the very least, both for the workers and the shoppers.

Hope this helps!

View in thread

Message 2 of 11 (1,319 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

I'll try to help - in some cases, the problems aren't bugs or poor programming, it's just part of the game. There are some cases where the game just doesn't work as intended, but if you're aware of the issues you can work with it and still prevail. I have played this game on and off since launch 

@alwe15 wrote:

In a word - No. Unfortunately, they tried, but a number of issues with syncing online really screwed it up. Some regional things directly interact, others just "look" like they're working. So if you have 100 unemployed in one City, when you're in that city's regional view, it will look at the numbers of the other city and show workers commuting, but 100 sims do not actually track to the city with open jobs. The game treats it as if they are, in regional view, but after all my years of playing I have never been able to balance jobs in this manner.

Unfortunately, one of the bugs that is here to stay is Sims leaving a city for any reason lose their tracking and don't return. So it is best to balance population on a per-city basis. 

@alwe15 wrote:

Yes! Power, Water and Sewage sharing actually work really well. I generally set up a utility city in the region and stack all of those services in one city, share with the region and then never touch the utility city again (unless I need to add more capacity). You are correct - the available amount will be split evenly between claimed cities. Showing 90kwh available instead of 100kwh available may just be a matter of synching. The consumer city may need to play for a bit to catch up to the amount available from the supplier city, or vice versa.

@alwe15 wrote:

Tourists come from "The Region" - they're completely separate entities that appear when you add regional transportation, cultural or gambling facilities. This creates another layer of shoppers, known as tourists, that need to be managed with your commercial. 

@alwe15 wrote:

I like sharing services - police, fire, ambulances - when I set up a new city for just that reason. Why pay for all those workers when there's a fire or criminal once every 3 months? I would say it works well to cut costs at the beginning, but once your city reaches a certain population it becomes really ineffective really fast. I suggest using sharing as a startup option, but once the traffic or city size makes it so that they're not keeping up, build the stations in your new city. You should have the funds by the time you need them.

@alwe15 wrote:

Not really - mostly because of the "phantom" commuting I talked about earlier. You can successfully build an industrial city, but you'll still need at least a megatower or a section of the city with low wealth residential to actually keep the industry running. Residential must have commercial at the very least, both for the workers and the shoppers.

Hope this helps!

Message 2 of 11 (1,320 Views)

★ Guide

Thank you for your incredibly detailed response Standard smile

It is such a shame that the commuting element was never patched to work correctly. I used to play another Sim City, perhaps Sim City 4, and I am certain it worked on that game.

Thank you for the tip about service sharing. I found purchasing a med centre, police station and fire station too early on cost too much. However, you are right to suggest that these services prove inefficient quickly once the City grows!

Do you upgrade your Police and Fire services to include helipads? Does this help? I found on YouTube a player who suggested upgrading with helipads and removing fire truck garages as the helicopters are so much better at putting out fires...

I have identified that Power & Water do indeed share correctly. I misread the 90kwh / 100kwh issue and now both Cities show correctly. However, I am still struggling to get my City to agree to take City 2's sewage. What I have noticed is that on occasion, despite having more than enough extra sewage capacity available, the City Utilities adviser tells me that my Sewage Treatment Plant is struggling...do you know anything about that?

Message 3 of 11 (1,310 Views)

Hero (Retired)

I do upgrade fire departments to only use helipads. They can just fly right across the map and put out the fire. Get there faster & don't deal with traffic. They're actually less efficient if you leave fire trucks in the game, because they prioritize the trucks, which will dispatch first and block the helicopters. 

The sewage problem is probably due to time of day - sewage needs seem to increase around the transition times (6 am & 6 pm). I would slow down the game and watch the sewage map to see when you get the message, then transfer to the other city and wait for the synch to get around the same time. You may find the usage numbers lean towards needing more capacity.

You can also get caught with sewage backups if one city grows significantly before you play the other city. There will be a synchronous time period, where you just have to wait it out before it registers that you added more capacity. 

Another tip - build your sewage system right next to your water supply. The sewage plant will filter the water and dump it into the water table, creating unlimited water supply, no expensive filter pumps needed. 

Happy building!

Message 4 of 11 (1,301 Views)

★ Guide

Hey!

I have another Region related question.

I have just recently started work on a Great Work Standard smile

So, each day at 0600 hours and again at 1800 hours, a few dozen cars leave their place of residence and travel through the City and out along the Highway. These cars are all workers and if selected, tell me that they're "going to work at the Great Work".

There do appear to be workers returning as well.

If I look at the Population tab, there are NO commuting workers. 

Who are these workers and why does it not contribute to commuting?

Secondly, once the Great Work is built it'll be the first GW I've ever fully constructed. Large smile

However, will the GW actually work as intended? I have selected Solar Farm so hope that it just provides my Region with untold power.

Message 5 of 11 (1,245 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Congratulations on your Great Work! Such a great feeling to get something that substantial under construction. Solar farm was the first one I ever built, too, and I was very happy with it. I've built solar farm a couple of times, and they always worked great for me. Gotta love lots of clean power! 

Been a while since I constructed any GW, but I think the numbers reported are part of that whole disconnect between regional view and city view numbers. The last couple I've built have been Arcologies and once they're built it is a nightmare trying to figure out what is actually coming in to the city. The city population data map will show commuters from the "region" - sometimes - but the regional map never shows anything coming from or going to the arcology. This is, of course, the opposite of what you're seeing during building. 

The likeliest answer is - this is another one of those things that drive data crunchers crazy. The good news is you only have to make sure you have the correct number of "unemployed" or "commuting" workers to keep it running and hope you can concentrate your attentions elsewhere so it doesn't drive you mad. 

Message 6 of 11 (1,239 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Just wanted to tell you one "gotchya" in building GW.

You can create a horrible problem if you go to another connected city and click "build" after you've already started building from a different city. It's all about the regional synch. I usually use one city to build the GW just to avoid the issue. If you go to another city during construction or after it's built, don't panic if you don't see the GW from there. Give it some time. Eventually, you'll get notice that the GW has started and it will run through all the steps of building and you will be asked to do the ribbon cutting in the new city.

Whatever you do, do NOT confuse the server by clicking the build button in the other cities. If you do, when the game finally catches up, it will completely hose your entire region; there is no fix. So, safest way is to build the GW from one city, wait until it's completely finished and you've had the ribbon cutting ceremony, then load each of the other connected cities and wait for it recognize the GW. Go through the ribbon cutting ceremony on each, and you'll have all that solar power streaming to each of those cities. 

Message 7 of 11 (1,238 Views)

★ Guide

Thank you for this.

I actually did go in to another connected City and was concerned to see that, not only was the GW progress not registered, that the GW hadn't even started yet! 

However, given my knowledge of Region sync, I decided to wait a few game hours and the GW did update itself.

Am I not able to ask each City to contribute something? I've started a second GW in another Region and have one City contributing Oil but I want a second City to contribute Alloy as the first City doesn't produce Alloy.

Message 8 of 11 (1,236 Views)

Hero (Retired)
So glad you had the foresight to wait for the synch - after all you've gone through with this region, it would have been catastrophic if this bug shut it all down!

It will be a bit of a chore, but I've contributed from more than one city successfully. I think the "safest" way would be to let the first city contribute everything it's going to supply, that way you can wait for the synch in the second city to show all of that resource supplied.

If you want to be really cautious, you could also gift the resources from the second city to the first, so that there's only one city doing the actual building. Either way, it's about waiting for the regional synching.
Message 9 of 11 (1,219 Views)

★ Guide

If I gift the resources, is it true that I will need the relevant trading at the Trade Depot?

Message 10 of 11 (1,217 Views)