Progress loss and multiplayer update issues

by kris10stubb15

Original Post

Progress loss and multiplayer update issues

★★★ Newbie

I have been chatting for 3 days with support and they have advised me to post here. 

While playing multiplayer in SimCity Complete Edition (purchased in 2019, never had an issue) my progress of about 8hrs of game play was lost. I also am unable to see the other players updated town, which also lost about the same amount of progress (only from my end). 

I watch him play and his game is up to date, he has around 300,000 population and a large city. On my computer it shows as around 11,000 population. 

The game still notifies me of his progress updates and achievements that he is actively doing, but when I look at his town it isn't there. 

I have done literally everything. Updating drivers, system, etc. Uninstalling and reinstalling. Repairing files. Malware checks and scans. Pulled every report that was asked. Everything. Support has stated there is nothing wrong with my computer or system, and that it is a bug. 

So here I am. 

Please help 🙃

Message 1 of 2 (414 Views)

Re: Progress loss and multiplayer update issues

Hero (Retired)

Hi @kris10stubb15 - This is a very strange issue. When the game launched, there were several issues with overloaded servers that could cause strange synchronization problems like this, but that's sorted itself out in present day (tons of servers, fewer players). I'm wondering if you're experiencing something that is causing a problem with synching to the server. 

I know you've tried a lot of things, so forgive if some of these are repeats. Just double-check to be sure: 

Always run installation files "As Administrator"
Firewall and Antivirus - Make sure SimCity.exe and Origin.exe are added to exception lists. If you have BitDefender installed, disable it.
Graphics drivers and OS are patched and updated to newest versions
SimCity.exe and Origin.exe - Set them to run "as administrator"
Nahimic from MSI - this is an audio management program that comes with MSI motherboards. Disable or uninstall it. Nahimic 2 & 3 are known to cause this issue.
Disable Origin in-game In Origin main menu, right-click SimCity icon, Game Properties, check the box that says "Disable Origin In-game"
Disable any proxies - Check your Network & Internet settings and make sure "use a proxy server" is "Off"

Once that is in order, let's try removing any corruption from the client side (your computer) by deleting the client data and forcing a sync with the server:

Make note of the server you're on and the name of your region so you can find it when you log in. You'll lose any options settings that you previously set, as well. 

Exit SimCity and Origin completely.
Remove your SimCityUserData folder. Default location is \\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityUserData You can rename the folder, or move it to your desktop as a backup just in case first. No need to worry, the game will recreate this folder when you log in again.
Launch Origin - you should already have set this to run "As Administrator" (Default location \Program Files (x86)\Origin) Right-click Origin.exe, choose Compatibility tab, Check the box next to "Run this program as administrator"

Launch SimCity - again, make sure simcity.exe is set to run "As Administrator" (Default location C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCity)

Navigate to the server and region - you may have to exit the tutorial; you'll have to click the "okay" button and start it first, then when the first screen popup comes up click the ...menu options in the top right of the screen and click "exit to main menu" 

Load your city - let it run for a bit (don't put it on pause).  

Exit to Main Menu - Do NOT exit the game from the city or close from windowed mode; Save & Exit to Main Menu, then Exit SimCity from the Main Menu. This could take some time to completely close, depending on your connection speed, server load, etc. The game will sync with the server at this point. 

Exit SimCity - Just to be cautious, I would suggest that you fully exit SimCity before you go back in. Sometimes popping out to the Main Menu and then right back in from the Main Menu can cause some corruption.

This should replace any corruption that was on your end, and hopefully the server will sync the other city's stats correctly. Fingers crossed I would suggest always exiting via the Main Menu option to make sure the synch happens. You can also try using a wired connection instead of wifi if possible, to reduce data communication errors. 

I hope this helps to sync your city and the other city. Please reply back and let us know what happens

Good luck and Happy Building!

Message 2 of 2 (393 Views)