Re: One of my cities is in endless "rolling back" phase

by BlackjackWidow

Original Post

One of my cities is in endless "rolling back" phase

★★ Novice

Ive a full region, but unfortunatelly one of my cities is in endless "rolling back" phase more than 1 week ago. Unfortunately there is no "ROLLBACK" or "ABBANDON" button to click.

Does anybody any ideo how to fix this issue? I would be happy even with a city resetting, but I do not want a dead city in my region!

Im on east Europe server 2, Re-Rain Land is the region name and Cedargates is the city.

Thx in advance,

Adrian

Message 1 of 23 (1,343 Views)

★★ Novice

Any idea?

Support do not give a *, Im clueless.

Ive build a whole 16cities region and it is so frustating that one of my city is dead Frown

Message 2 of 23 (1,302 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Oh my gosh, @nadrian80 - after all that work, I can imagine how frustrating it is to be faced with this error. The "rolling back" of cities usually happens when there's corruption in the save. Unfortunately, as I understand it, this corruption is likely on the server side where we won't be able to do anything about it.

You can try repairing and recovering the game from your side, to see if you can get a good save to the server. First, be sure that you're always running Origin.exe and SimCity.exe "as administrator", while trying these steps and whenever you're playing the game. Delete the SimCityUserData folder (or move to desktop if you want to be super careful). Default location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityUserData The game will rebuild this folder when you log in, or repair the game. Log in and try to access the city in question. Try going into it from the main menu, rather than switching to it in region view. If it asks to roll back, let it try again.

If that doesn't work, in Origin, right-click the SimCity icon and choose "repair game". Try the city again. If you still can't get it to work, navigate to the SimCityRecovery.exe file - default location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityRecovery\SimCityRecovery.exe - run "as Administrator".  Do not use the shortcut on the menu for this, it tries to take you to a website that no longer exists.

If none of that works - I am paging @EA_Mai now to see if she can do something on her end. The server-side city rollbacks could sometimes be taken care of by community managers back when the game was actively supported. I'm not sure if there's anything that can be done for them now, as there is no active development team working on the game anymore.

Good luck - and happy building!

Message 3 of 23 (1,296 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi BlackjackWidow,

Thanks for the hints. Unfortunatelly none of them solved my problem Frown
Actually it seems that the Recovery option is not even exists. Ive started the file, it opened a webpage which says: "Sorry, that page doesn't exist!".

What do you think, if I start a region in single play mode will I be able to transfer it to multi mode if I finished?

Message 4 of 23 (1,290 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Darn it, I was afraid that wouldn't work. Frown Your idea to transfer is a good one, unfortunately they only made it so that you can take the multiplayer to single player mode, not the other way around.

You could try to salvage the region you've built by transferring it to single user mode, but I fear that problem cities won't transfer well. I've never personally done it with a city that is in the middle of rolling back, but I've seen reports where people who have tried it end up with a city that is marked like it's another person's city. So, you can visit, but not play that city.

As far as the recovery, I believe if you navigate to the file itself - don't use shortcuts from the desktop or menu - it is an exe file, so shouldn't take you to any web page. You may have to turn on the option to view file extensions and hidden files & folders. In file explorer, select View > Options > Change folder and search options. In the View tab, choose Options, then under Hidden Files & Folders, choose "Show hidden files, folders and drives" and Un-Check "Hide extensions for known file types". Then go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityRecovery, right-click SimCityRecovery.exe, click "Run As Administrator" and accept the prompts to get it started. 

I sent a PM to a Community Manager who may be able to help, although their access to server-side kinds of things are very limited, perhaps we can get some other ideas. I really hope we can get your cities up and running again. Your only options may be to start another region (more fun and practice?), or run the region without playing the affected cities. Not great choices, I know. I wish I could run down to the server room and defrag it for you, but they seem to frown on non-employees randomly showing up and messing with stuff :D

Message 5 of 23 (1,272 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I also have this problem i will make a topic also about it i dont have the reroll button, but he won't load my city second time it happens ( 2 region's) i talked yesterday with a customer service.. i will later tel what we all tried but none worked.. i;m afraid i i start a new region it will happen again 

Message 6 of 23 (1,268 Views)

Hero (Retired)
Hi @reikesh I'm sorry you're also having this problem. When multiple people report this rollback problem within a few days of each other, I am convinced it means there was some sort of server connection glitch or blip while you were playing.

Unfortunately, if the error is on their end, I don't think there is much that can be done on our side. Because the game is not being actively developed anymore, it's really hard to get anything done from that side.

I did send a message to a Community Manager, to see if there's any solution on that end that I can't do. I can't guarantee that it will never happen again if you start a new region, but I can say that it rarely seems to happen. Maybe once or twice a year, and only to your region if you're actively playing at the time it happens.

I'm afraid that's the best we can do for right now. You don't need to start a new thread, since this one is about the same timing. I suggest monitoring this thread, and pressing the "me too" button on the 1st post. Let's see if we get any info in the next couple of days.

Thanks for posting your experience. Happier Building!
Message 7 of 23 (1,261 Views)

★★★★ Novice

i will do that then hehe the chat talker advice me to make a new topic but this is fine also. again i dont see the reroll button or  it is rerolling.. en again a few days ago i had in on region 1 and start over and now it happens on region 2.. but i will make a new game  for the last time.. 

Message 8 of 23 (1,256 Views)

Hero (Retired)
Ok - I want to be certain I'm understanding. Can you enter the cities? You say there is no button to roll back the city, what exactly is the issue?

Sorry, I looked at your pics, having problems understanding - is your progress gone? What is the English translation for the red writing on the button in the 2nd picture?
Message 9 of 23 (1,254 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

No that city of the picture i can't enter. if i try to enter. the game wil say Not avablie at this time..( and then the game will return to main menu) en yeah no roll back option and if i'm my town 2 then  it lookes if my town is empty but as you can see on the second pic i have money and ppl living there ( this is the same problem on my first region) the red text is sying need Fireman!! hehe it was going of controle because of the roads
hahaha. But  somethin you said erlier i think  is also true i think.. i played the city for a few hours that evening.. and wanted to make my second city in de region.. and when i wanted to go back to the first there was no first.. and you said it only happpend 1 or 2 times a year something like this but..  i have in on 2 region in 3 days of something ?

Message 10 of 23 (1,250 Views)