Re: New 2018 Error 1001

by BlackjackWidow

Original Post

Accepted Solution

New 2018 Error 1001

★ Novice

Has anyone fix the new 2018, error 1001 problem?  I tried all the suggestions in the old non work, and I have no idea how to fix it.  Please help!

My specs

CPU: i7-6700K

GPU: GTX 1080 8GB

Memory: g. skill 16GB 

Storage: samsung 960 pro 512GB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VIII formula

I've tried many different versions of origin...

Message 1 of 10 (3,116 Views)

Accepted Solution

Hero (Retired)

Darn it! I was hoping one of those would work. 

1. If you have BitDefender installed, disable or uninstall it. Both BitDefender and the MSI sound program Nahimic 2 will block SimCity from launching.
  2. Try reducing your screen resolution. Right-click desktop, choose screen resolution, and move it down to the lowest resolution possible. Save and exit. If SimCity works, use the settings in SimCity to force the correct resolution and fps. Then go back in and revert your desktop resolution to normal and try launching the game.
  3. If you have two or more monitors, disable any software utilities for them.
  4. Exit SimCity and Origin; use task manager and end process if you can't get it to close normally. Adjust your screen resolution colors to True Colors (32 bit). (Control Panel - Appearance and Personalization - Adjust Screen Resolution - Advanced - Monitor - Colors.
  5. Set Display mode to "Computer Only" Using keyboard, select Windows key + P, there should be a panel that pops up showing showing different computer screen modes. If yours is set to extend or something else, choose "PC Screen Only", save and relaunch Origin and SimCity
  6. In Origin, right-click SimCity icon, choose Game Properties, in the command line arguments window type:  -w    This will start the game in windowed mode... boot the game in windowed mode. If it launches, then go to the game video settings and set to 1920 x 1080 and force the fps to 60 (or whatever matches your screen monitor settings) Go back to the SimCity icon and remove the -w command line so the game goes full screen.
  7. Perform a clean boot, then run the game. If it works, then it can be a long process to find which startup program is interfering with SimCity. Do a clean boot, but enable each startup program one at a time. After enabling a program, reboot, then try to run SimCity. Rinse and repeat until you find which one is incompatible and blocking the game. 

If you still can't get the game to install, 

•  Post a dxdiag report. How to Dxdiag 
  • In "<origin_games_dir>\SimCity\_Installer" find the InstallLog.txt and attach that
  • In "<origin_games_dir>\SimCity\SimCity\SimCityUserData\Patches" find the UpdateLog.txt and attach that

View in thread

Message 4 of 10 (3,654 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Hi @jagman100 -  Make sure your graphics driver, Windows OS, and Origin are all updated. Not sure what you mean by "many different versions of Origin", but just update to the latest version. If you've messed around with Origin a lot, you might want to try a complete uninstall and reinstall a fresh copy. Keep in mind, SimCity is an older game - it does not support multiple monitors or Ultra High Def resolutions. (I run it fine on 1080p witha GTX 1070 8 GB). Then give these tips a try, one at a time, checking to see if SimCity runs after each one:

1. In Origin, right-click the SimCity icon and choose "Repair". Let it repair
  2. In Origin, right-click the SimCity icon, choose "Properties" and disable Origin in-game. It's a checkbox - mine says "Enable Origin In Game" and needs to be unchecked.
  3. Right-Click your SimCity desktop shortcut, choose Properties > Compatibility tab. Click the checkbox that says "Run this program in compatibility mode" and choose Windows 8 or 7. 
  4. Through the same tab, set both Origin & SimCity shortcuts to "Run As Administrator"
  5. Try to run SimCity. If those settings didn't work, go back to the compatibility tab and run in reduced color mode (either choice, or try both)
  6. If that doesn't work, go back to the compatibility tab and check the box for "Override high DPI scaling behavior" Choose "Scaling Performed by Application".

I hope one of these tips works for you. Good luck!

Message 2 of 10 (3,101 Views)

★ Novice

Nope, same problem.  I did a fresh install of the latest non beta version of origin(10.5.16.49299).  Nvidia drivers are up to date version 391.35.  I went through all the tips, nothing changed.

Message 3 of 10 (3,096 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Darn it! I was hoping one of those would work. 

1. If you have BitDefender installed, disable or uninstall it. Both BitDefender and the MSI sound program Nahimic 2 will block SimCity from launching.
  2. Try reducing your screen resolution. Right-click desktop, choose screen resolution, and move it down to the lowest resolution possible. Save and exit. If SimCity works, use the settings in SimCity to force the correct resolution and fps. Then go back in and revert your desktop resolution to normal and try launching the game.
  3. If you have two or more monitors, disable any software utilities for them.
  4. Exit SimCity and Origin; use task manager and end process if you can't get it to close normally. Adjust your screen resolution colors to True Colors (32 bit). (Control Panel - Appearance and Personalization - Adjust Screen Resolution - Advanced - Monitor - Colors.
  5. Set Display mode to "Computer Only" Using keyboard, select Windows key + P, there should be a panel that pops up showing showing different computer screen modes. If yours is set to extend or something else, choose "PC Screen Only", save and relaunch Origin and SimCity
  6. In Origin, right-click SimCity icon, choose Game Properties, in the command line arguments window type:  -w    This will start the game in windowed mode... boot the game in windowed mode. If it launches, then go to the game video settings and set to 1920 x 1080 and force the fps to 60 (or whatever matches your screen monitor settings) Go back to the SimCity icon and remove the -w command line so the game goes full screen.
  7. Perform a clean boot, then run the game. If it works, then it can be a long process to find which startup program is interfering with SimCity. Do a clean boot, but enable each startup program one at a time. After enabling a program, reboot, then try to run SimCity. Rinse and repeat until you find which one is incompatible and blocking the game. 

If you still can't get the game to install, 

•  Post a dxdiag report. How to Dxdiag 
  • In "<origin_games_dir>\SimCity\_Installer" find the InstallLog.txt and attach that
  • In "<origin_games_dir>\SimCity\SimCity\SimCityUserData\Patches" find the UpdateLog.txt and attach that
Message 4 of 10 (3,655 Views)

★ Novice
Clean boot worked thanks!
Message 5 of 10 (3,067 Views)

Hero (Retired)
That's great! Have you figured out which program was causing the problem? Would really help others looking for the same fix
Message 6 of 10 (3,061 Views)

★★★ Newbie

What advanced option settings did you use, I tried everything and it all failed

Message 7 of 10 (2,639 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@jagman100 said the clean boot worked. This means that some other program was blocking SimCity when it was loading. Did you try the steps that I posted in both of my previous answers?

Be sure to set both SimCity.exe and Origin.exe to "Run As Administrator". Make sure both are added to your antivirus and firewall exception lists. If you have BitDefender (antivirus) or Nahimic 2 (MSI sound program) installed, disable or uninstall them. Make sure your Origin, SimCity and Windows are updated and patched, and that you have the newest drivers for your graphics card.

Try each of the items from my previous posts in this thread for more troubleshooting steps. 

Message 8 of 10 (2,622 Views)

★★ Novice

I know this is an older post, but if anyone is looking this took me hours to figure out until I performed a process monitor and stack trace ... My error was the Simcity could not render 1001 error. I found that it was looking a dll named ddrum32.dll . Once I found that and googled it, I found an obscure post of a driver that was conflicting with the duet display that is a third-party display app for iPads to be able to be used as another monitor (duetdisplay.com) . After I removed the duet app and rebooted, all my apps could now start and run! As of note, I had other app problems too, especially with Crysis not loading, and Epic Games Launcher failing. 

Just a note, look for anything, duet or otherwise, that may intercept, hook, or otherwise affect your display (monitor or video card) as this could be a culprit.

Message 9 of 10 (2,091 Views)

Hero (Retired)
Thanks for letting us know what worked for you. It can be very difficult to track down conflicting third party apps. Happy Building!
Message 10 of 10 (2,068 Views)