Money gifting doesn't work

by ChrisFromSeattle

Original Post

Money gifting doesn't work

★★★ Newbie

I've spent a ton of time building a region with one city providing public services. To keep this city alive, I gift money from other cities. This all worked fine until my cities got large. But now money I gift to the my public service city never arrives. I've tried to send many times and the money never makes it.

I've gathered from the many, many reports of this problem on the interwebs that the game physically drives a truck between cities to make the transfer. Whoever had that bright idea should be reassigned to an office in the janitorial closet. Even if it worked, how does that make the game more fun? How about you guys just subtract the money from one city and add it to the other? 

If I could return this game, I would. My current city/region is apparently dead. And what's the point of starting over if I'm just going to run into this same problem again? I've been sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the Mac release and now I'm totally disappointed.

Message 1 of 15 (1,855 Views)

Re: Money gifting doesn't work

★★★ Newbie

Same here. Have tried three separate times over the past day or so and have lost a total of $500k....Please fix this ASAP. I am using the Mac version, are you too?

Message 2 of 15 (1,832 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Ive started having this problem as well. I gift roughly 5 million to certain cities and i only receive  half that amount. then when I try sending another 2million, it stalls and doesnt deliver the amount at all.

I dont think its related to city size because my cities never had this problem up until recently.

also, im using windows. 

Message 3 of 15 (1,828 Views)

Community Manager

The money trucks no longer exist since Update 5. 

Make sure that when you send a gift to another city you wait for confirmation that the gift has been sent BEFORE you leave the city or close the game. The confirmation will appear in the lower right corner of your screen. If you do not wait for this confirmation the gift may be delayed until you return to your city or it may cancel the gifting altogether.

As the receiving city, allow time for the gift to arrive once the city of origin has confirmed the gift has been sent. Be aware that gifting is not an instant delivery to the receiving city.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9568348.page

Message 4 of 15 (1,824 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@eadennis wrote:

The money trucks no longer exist since Update 5. 

...and neither does gifting.

I've had it work twice, fail six times after that.

- Regions are post 7.0, public and private

- I didn't touch a thing up to a minute after it confirmed the gift was sent

- It's been a few days real-time, months game-time

- It should work irrespective of subsequent user actions

Message 5 of 15 (1,821 Views)

Community Manager

I just gave it a try myself, playing on Europe West 3. I logged into city A, gifted a million credits to city B, waited for the confirmation that the gift has been sent, switched to city B via the region view and nothing. I was waiting quite a bit but the gift didn't arrive. I then went back into the main menu, logged into city A again to confirm that the money is still gone there, went back to the main menu and then into city B, waited a short amount of time (max. 1min) and the money arrived.

Were you switching between your cities via the region view or main menu? What server are you playing on?

Message 6 of 15 (1,818 Views)

★★ Novice

Gifting is broken, but I did some tests to see what was going on. This is what I have come up with.
New city starts A & B. City A sends 100k to city B. For the first time it will work and you should get all of it correctly(if you wait on the messages). But here is the trick. The 2nd time you send money it has to be more than the first because your only getting the difference. So for example:  The second time City A sends 200k to city B. City A will only receive 100k. If you were to send anything to the amount equal to or less than the first time you sent money it will never show up.
1st time = 250k
2nd time = 200k <-- will get nothing

1st time = 500k
2nd time = 650k <- will get 150k

Message 7 of 15 (1,807 Views)

Community Manager

Heya xabadman, I was able to reproduce by following your steps. We've notified the SimCity team who will take a deeper look at this bug. 

Thank you very much for your help!

Message 8 of 15 (1,796 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I to am having this issue, how quick is the Dev team at solving this kind of issue?

Message 9 of 15 (1,782 Views)

Community Manager (retired)
Let's just say that the list of things to solve is pretty long already. Standard smile
If this message helped you, please give it a bit of XP! Click the XP button at the bottom right of this post.
If it answered your question, click "Accept as solution". Thanks!
Message 10 of 15 (1,777 Views)