[Mac] SimCity and MacOS Catalina & newer

by BlackjackWidow

Original Post

Re: [Mac] SimCity and MacOS Catalina

Hero (Retired)

If you recently purchased SimCity from Origin, you may want to check out the Great Game Guarantee, particularly the part on Refunds

Message 51 of 102 (4,666 Views)

Re: Can't download Simcity Complete in Origin

Hero (Retired)

@KayHurricane wrote:

I have Catalina the most up-to-date version. It says Finalizing and nothing else. It's been doing this since yesterday when I purchased and downloaded it.

Hi @KayHurricane - I moved your post to the master thread on this issue, in the SimCity 2013 forum. Apple dropped support for 32-bit games like SimCity, beginning with MacOS Catalina 10.15. There is more information in the first post in this thread https://answers.ea.com/t5/SimCity-2013/Mac-SimCity-and-MacOS-Catalina/m-p/8298578#M127940 , including some options for running 32-bit games after upgrading to Catalina.  

If you recently purchased SimCity from Origin, you may want to check out the Great Game Guarantee 

Message 52 of 102 (4,627 Views)

Installation issue

★★★ Newbie

Just received a new Mac with latest OS.  Trying to reload games.  When I click INSTALL button on Sim City Dig Deluxe, nothing happens. 

Message 53 of 102 (4,647 Views)

Re: Installation issue

Hero (Retired)

Hi @lck0919  -  I moved your post to the master thread on this issue. Apple dropped support for 32-bit games like SimCity, beginning with MacOS Catalina 10.15. There is more information in this post: https://answers.ea.com/t5/SimCity-2013/Mac-SimCity-and-MacOS-Catalina/m-p/8298578#M127940 , including some options for running 32-bit games after upgrading to Catalina. 

Message 54 of 102 (4,605 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Hi Guys, have a similar problem using macOs Catalina

I have been purchased SimCity Complete Edition in 2018, I don't have any refund option...

I read this thread and found this link https://support.aspyr.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000214186-MacOS-Catalina-64-bit-32-bit-and-related-Qu... , got this info:

*Update for January 7, 2020: SimCity: Complete Edition has received a 64-bit update and is now compatible with macOS Catalina.

Is that only for a new purchase? It still didn't work in my MacBook, I download and purchase the game using origin.

Or do you know how can I check, if my downloaded version is 64bit or not?

Thanks for your help,

Message 55 of 102 (4,572 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hi @alipsidik - the article you linked about SimCity being upgraded to 64-bit is from Aspyr, regarding the SimCity Complete version purchased from the Apple App Store. 

Aspyr has updated their version to work on Catalina. If you purchase from the App Store, it will run on Catalina. Howeve, it will be single player offline play only

Unfortunately, the EA version purchased from Origin remains 32 bit and therefore will not run on Catalina. EA has not announced any plans to make changes to SimCity. There are some recommendations on how to play 32 bit games with Catalina, in the first post of this thread. 

If you had recently purchased SimCity from Origin, you could contact EA regarding a refund. Since you purchased a couple of years ago I do not think it applies for you. More info: Great Game Guarantee

I hope this clears things up. 

Message 56 of 102 (4,559 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@BlackjackWidow Thanks for explaining, very clear... Still hope ea will release SimCity 64bit in origin,
Message 57 of 102 (4,517 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I just made the same mistake of buying the game and not being able to run on Mac 64 bits Standard smile it's a shame there isn't support for it and that there is no disclaimer warning you against it.

I would expect more from EA especially when there seems to be so many people still wanting to play this game.

Oh well, refund it is!

Message 58 of 102 (4,446 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

It's mentioned at the system requirements from the game, @Player_7ug7o61a. I marked the text yellow.

Spoiler

System Requirements

*REQUIRES SIMCITY™ TO PLAY.

PC System Requirements
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better
Minimum OS: Windows 7
Memory: 2GB RAM
Hard Drive: 12GB HD Space
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 2600 or better*, NVIDIA 7800 or better*, Intel HD Graphics or better*
Broadband Internet: Minimum 256 kbps download, 64 kbps upload
*Minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM and Shader 3.0 or better support.

Mac System Requirements
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo
Minimum OS: macOS Leopard (10.5.7) through macOS Mojave (10.14.x).
This game will only run on macOS versions that support 32-bit applications.
Memory: 2GB RAM
Hard Drive: 12GB HD Space
Graphics Card: INTEL HD 3000, NVIDIA® GeForce® 9600M or ATI™ Radeon™ HD 2600 Pro or better
Broadband Internet: Minimum 256 kbps download, 64 kbps upload

Regards.

Message 59 of 102 (4,438 Views)

Simcity will not install on my MacBook Pro or Mac

★ Novice

Simcity will not install on my Mac or MacBook Pro. Here is my case number 

I have tried everything listed on the answers HQ and nothing works. This includes reinstalling origin, safe mode booting on my Mac, changing privacy settings to allow full disk access to origin, and looking for the .dmg file by going through Macintosh hd>library>application support>origin>download cache. The .dmg file for simcity is not in that folder. Game successfully downloaded on the origin app, but is now stuck on "finalizing" and will not install on my computer. PLEASE HELP! This is so frustrating. I am running Catalina 10.15.5

Message 60 of 102 (4,405 Views)