Larger cities for SimCity

★★★ Newbie

Need larger lands for cities!!!

Message 1 of 25 (22,803 Views)

Re: Larger cities for SimCity

★ Apprentice

@leymar75 wrote:

City sizes have been a constant point of conversation among our players since we released the game. The game’s original design focused on the density of an intimate urban environment. It was about intercity connectivity and the challenge of managing a region of cities instead of one metropolis in isolation. However, we recognize that many players have expressed the desire to build up one big city rather than manage the interrelationship of multiple smaller cities. 

We’ve put months of investigation into making larger city sizes, reworking the terrain maps, changing the routing algorithms of our agent-based system and altering the way that GlassBox processes the data in a larger space. 

After months of testing, I confirm that we will not be providing bigger city sizes. The system performance challenges we encountered would mean that the vast majority of our players wouldn’t be able to load, much less play with bigger cities. We’ve tried a number of different approaches to bring performance into an acceptable range, but we just couldn’t achieve it within the confines of the engine. We’ve chosen to cease work on bigger city sizes and put that effort into continuing to evolve the core game and explore an offline mode. Some of the experiments we conducted to improve performance on bigger cities will be rolled into future updates to improve overall game performance. 

Source: http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/state-of-simcity

Message 2 of 25 (22,666 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@Cornunit wrote:

@leymar75 wrote:

City sizes have been a constant point of conversation among our players since we released the game. The game’s original design focused on the density of an intimate urban environment. It was about intercity connectivity and the challenge of managing a region of cities instead of one metropolis in isolation. However, we recognize that many players have expressed the desire to build up one big city rather than manage the interrelationship of multiple smaller cities. 

We’ve put months of investigation into making larger city sizes, reworking the terrain maps, changing the routing algorithms of our agent-based system and altering the way that GlassBox processes the data in a larger space. 

After months of testing, I confirm that we will not be providing bigger city sizes. The system performance challenges we encountered would mean that the vast majority of our players wouldn’t be able to load, much less play with bigger cities. We’ve tried a number of different approaches to bring performance into an acceptable range, but we just couldn’t achieve it within the confines of the engine. We’ve chosen to cease work on bigger city sizes and put that effort into continuing to evolve the core game and explore an offline mode. Some of the experiments we conducted to improve performance on bigger cities will be rolled into future updates to improve overall game performance. 

Source: http://www.simcity.com/en_US/blog/article/state-of-simcity

Why can't you make a DLC addon for those that have better computers and wish to have bigger cities, its such a simple idea.

Why must everyone suffer, for those who have failed to upgrade their technology?

Message 3 of 25 (22,661 Views)

★ Novice

so... you wanted to make a city sim... but wont let us make cities? **bleep** you.

Message 4 of 25 (22,597 Views)

★★ Novice

calm down cause really they are still trying to figure out why some simcities can't load

Message 5 of 25 (22,497 Views)

★ Novice
It shouldn't be your guys desicion, we are the consumer, it should be ours. We spent our hard earned money too buy this game. I spent 79.99 when it was first released, yes I like some of the aspects of the game, but no city I know of is a perfect little tiny square. I want a bigger map option, as for the majority of your players, what are they running a 32836/16 with 16mb ram??? A lot of your community has awesome machines too run the added load. So it should be our choice. I hope once you unlock the offline mode, some modders go ahead and tweak the macahnics of the game bigger maps and unlimited resources ruining your precious glass box engine. You guys have ruined what could have been one of the greatest games too come out in a long time. I have been a pc gamer since 1984 and have played all the versions of sim city and loved each and every other one. I have nothing further to say, I will never buy an ea based product again. Thanks a lot,
Message 6 of 25 (22,305 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This game is awful.  I thought it would be a great update after playing SC4 for so long, but I update when I find out there is an update, thinking these issues would be fixed, and still nothing.  It should have never been released at all.  I'm still playing SC4, for more than a decade it has been around and it is still better than this pathetic release.  I want my money back.

Message 7 of 25 (21,851 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

If you had any common sense you would give modders full access to mod the game any way they see fit. Your excuse of "not everyone will be able to load bigger maps" is terrible, I played Simcity 4 up until the day of the release of this game, when I originally started playing Simcity 4 my computer lagged terribly while playing however I still played because it was such a amazing experience. Computers are constantly improving and are increasing in performance at high rates, are you saying that this game is only playable for a couple of years? If you want this game to be a success then give gamers the experience they are craving after Simcity 4, give modders the power they deserve, don't be so stringent and prideful, let the consumer now shape the final product. I am not going to go on some rant about how terrible this game is and how terrible your company is, you have produced some amazing games and this can be one of them, you just need to give up a little bit of control, trust me you won't be sorry. Make Simcity the game it needs to be for everyone's sake, I haven't given up hope yetConfusedmileyhappy:.

Message 8 of 25 (21,602 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I must say the smaller cities is a huge problem for me. I have stopped plaing this version of the game and went back to the older versions as the maps are bigger. Where I thought SimCity would be my game of choice it is now simply a game I get to break away from the other games I play more often. Pity, but will not be buying any further versions of this game...very disappointed. BUT have come to expect this from EA.

Message 9 of 25 (21,375 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Engineers that make software actually care a lot about how their work is received.  I'm sure once the feedback came in that they tried extremely hard to find a way to accomidate the customer feedback.  Who wouldn't want make all the haters shut up?  Who wouldn't want people to enjoy a game that they spents years of their life on.  So I fully believe that AFTER the feedback they tried very hard to improve everything they could.

What I don't understand is why it was desided to have cities that were smaller than in SimCity 4 in the first place.  Why chose a game engine that would not allow for a game experience that was at least as good as a game from 10 years earlier?  I suppose the multiplayer angle that it orginally shipped with had something to do with it.

SimCity looks great and has potential.  The main irritants left after allowing for single player offline mode(By the way I have not played a single online multiplayer game since this enhancement was released and most likely never will) are the following:

1.  No way to create your own region

2.  No way to handle the intercity road connections on your own.  Super annoying because it causes traffic jams with large cities and screws up your supply lines.

3.  Cities are so small that they just are not believable as cities.  I don't want to have to seperate everything.  Let me build the huge epic megacities of SimCity past.

If those 3 items were handled this new SImCity would be the best SimCity ever shipped.  As it stands now I rarely play even tho I upgraded to cities of tomorrow. I remember the first time I saw the orginal simcity on a Pentium 386.  Just black squares with letters in the middle.  I played that game for hours and hours.  Every SimCIty after it was better.  I never had a single complaint.  Just sad.

Message 10 of 25 (21,287 Views)