If I was

by dannymason97

Original Post

Accepted Solution

If I was

★ Novice

Hi.

Recently, my old Windows 8 laptop is wearing out, but it has all my Sims 3 and SimCity 2013 data on it and my dad and I had a discussion about getting myself a better laptop. I like the idea that I'd have Windows 10, but I wasn't sure if Windows 10 would support SimCity 2013. I'm not saying the game is old (as it's been released in March 2013) it's just that I need to know whether or not it works for Windows 10. If I was to have some instructions on how I should install SimCity 2013 on a higher laptop than my old one, I'd be much appreciated. If you don't know, don't worry. I won't force, nor will I show off.

Is it possible to install SimCity 2013 for Windows 10?

Message 1 of 2 (616 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: If I was

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Hi @dannymason97 - Congrats on having such a great dad who will help you get a better laptop! SimCity 2013 runs just fine in Windows 10, that's what I play it on now. 

Here are a couple of tips for when you install SimCity 2013 on your new computer:

• Always run installation files "As Administrator"
  • Firewall and Antivirus - Make sure SimCity.exe and Origin.exe are added to exception lists.
  • Graphics drivers and Windows OS are patched and updated to newest versions
  • SimCity.exe and Origin.exe - Set them to run "as administrator"
  • Nahimic from MSI - this is an audio management program that comes with MSI motherboards. Disable or uninstall it. Nahimic 2 is known to cause issues with several EA games.
  • There is no reason to register SimCity or any of your games again. They are linked to your Origin account and will appear in "My Library". Just make sure that you log into Origin with the same account you're using on your old computer. 

To access your Regions & Cities on your new laptop:

Multiplayer / online mode - your games are all saved online. If you're not seeing them, you probably just need to change to the correct server. For some reason, SimCity doesn't automatically open to the server you were on when you switch computers, so just make note of the server(s) you play on before you switch laptops. (it WILL open to the server you were on last on the same computer; it doesn't save that info in Origin) How to Choose a SimCity Server

Single Player / offline mode - your games are saved on the hard drive, not online. You will need to copy the files in the game folder from the first computer, and transfer them to the new computer. Use a portable storage device like a thumb drive or external hard drive. On the original computer, copy all the files and folders from the Games folder - default location is <YourWindowsUserName>\Documents\SimCity\Games. Move all the files on the portable drive to the Games folder on the new computer. Make sure you don't accidentally end up with nested Games folders - just move the files. When you move games for offline play, only the files on the computer you're using will be changed. The old copy will stay just as is. 

If you run into any issues or problems, feel free to post and ask here. Happy Building!!

(p.s. You might want to ask for any tips on installing The Sims 3 on Windows 10, too. The forum for that is here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/bd-p/the-sims-3 There are very knowledgeable people there who can help you plan for that)

View in thread

Message 2 of 2 (601 Views)

All Replies

Re: If I was

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Hi @dannymason97 - Congrats on having such a great dad who will help you get a better laptop! SimCity 2013 runs just fine in Windows 10, that's what I play it on now. 

Here are a couple of tips for when you install SimCity 2013 on your new computer:

• Always run installation files "As Administrator"
  • Firewall and Antivirus - Make sure SimCity.exe and Origin.exe are added to exception lists.
  • Graphics drivers and Windows OS are patched and updated to newest versions
  • SimCity.exe and Origin.exe - Set them to run "as administrator"
  • Nahimic from MSI - this is an audio management program that comes with MSI motherboards. Disable or uninstall it. Nahimic 2 is known to cause issues with several EA games.
  • There is no reason to register SimCity or any of your games again. They are linked to your Origin account and will appear in "My Library". Just make sure that you log into Origin with the same account you're using on your old computer. 

To access your Regions & Cities on your new laptop:

Multiplayer / online mode - your games are all saved online. If you're not seeing them, you probably just need to change to the correct server. For some reason, SimCity doesn't automatically open to the server you were on when you switch computers, so just make note of the server(s) you play on before you switch laptops. (it WILL open to the server you were on last on the same computer; it doesn't save that info in Origin) How to Choose a SimCity Server

Single Player / offline mode - your games are saved on the hard drive, not online. You will need to copy the files in the game folder from the first computer, and transfer them to the new computer. Use a portable storage device like a thumb drive or external hard drive. On the original computer, copy all the files and folders from the Games folder - default location is <YourWindowsUserName>\Documents\SimCity\Games. Move all the files on the portable drive to the Games folder on the new computer. Make sure you don't accidentally end up with nested Games folders - just move the files. When you move games for offline play, only the files on the computer you're using will be changed. The old copy will stay just as is. 

If you run into any issues or problems, feel free to post and ask here. Happy Building!!

(p.s. You might want to ask for any tips on installing The Sims 3 on Windows 10, too. The forum for that is here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/bd-p/the-sims-3 There are very knowledgeable people there who can help you plan for that)

Message 2 of 2 (602 Views)