I can't launch Simcity

by DmastTV

Original Post

I can't launch Simcity

★★★ Newbie

Hello. I have PC with i-7 7700K. only integrated video.

I can't launch Simcity.

I got empty window. Frown

pls help me

Message 1 of 9 (731 Views)

Re: I can't launch Simcity

★★★ Newbie

Hi, I think you have the same problem as me. Does simcity appear in your tool/aplication bar? If you hold your mouse on the simcity icon do you see a white window with the simcity logo?

Message 2 of 9 (690 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@DmastTV @djdrobble  That usually means something like anti-virus or firewall is blocking the program. Make sure SimCity.exe and Origin.exe are added to the exception lists, and if you have BitDefender, disable it. Also try running in Administrator mode.

Message 3 of 9 (673 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@BlackjackWidow Simcity worked for1 day. The next day it just wouldn't start. I allready disbled my virusscanner and windows firewall but it did not work. I've also tried running it as administrator.

Message 4 of 9 (660 Views)

Hero (Retired)

It's likely something either reverted or updated if you could play one day and not the next. A couple other things to try:

Double-check the antivirus and firewall; I know when mine updates it will sometimes just randomly drop my exceptions.  Set the SimCity desktop shortcut to Run As Administrator. Reboot your computer.

Make sure your router isn't blocking the game; reboot the modem and/or router.

Right-click SimCity icon in Origin, choose game properties and check the box that says "disable Origin in game for this game"

Run SimCityRepair.exe; you can find it in Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityRecovery (be patient, this takes a while)

Go to Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityUserData and move everything in the folder to a temp folder on your desktop. (you can just delete everything in the folder, but I always like a way to retrieve things if something goes wrong) Launch Simcity again, it should reinstall that folder.

If you have a Radeon gpu, try installing the non-whql-win7-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.6.2-june13 driver. If you have an Nvidia card, 342.1 still works. These are much older graphics drivers, but there are several graphical glitches caused in the new drivers.

If Windows updated overnight, you might want to try uninstalling the updates one at a time to see if any of them was the issue. That's not a long-term fix, since you need your updates, but could narrow down where the issue is.

Message 5 of 9 (645 Views)

★ Novice

Hi,

I am getting the same problem.

I have uninstalled all Avast and turned off all windows firewalls. I have then reinstalled SimCity, disabled Origin in game, and ran it is as administrator. I am still getting the same problem.

When I go run SimCityRecovery as administrator, it actually tries opening a web page that does not exist.

https://help.ea.com/en/article/where-can-i-find-the-simcity-recovery-app/

The folder, Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityUserData, does not exist, even after a fresh install and trying the repair from Origin. This folder is also not in any of the existing folders which are as follows:

_Installer

SimCity

SimCityData

SimCityRecovery

Support

Message 6 of 9 (560 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Zoltrix21 It appears you have never successfully run the game yet (no SimCityUserData folder). If you're sure it's not the Internet connection being blocked, you could try fiddling with the video settings. SimCity is an older game, it's definitely having trouble with newer graphic cards. To be sure it's not the Internet connection, try temporarily closing the internet connection and see if you get a pop-up message about Origin. 

1. Try reducing your screen resolution. Right-click desktop, choose screen resolution, and move it down to the lowest resolution possible. Save and exit. Then go back in and revert to the normal resolution and try launching the game.

2. If you have two or more monitors, disable any software utilities for them.

3.  Exit Origin; use task manager and end process if you can't get it to close normally. Adjust your screen resolution colors to True Colors (32 bit). (Control Panel - Appearance and Personalization - Adjust Screen Resolution - Advanced - Monitor - Colors.

4. Set Display mode to "Computer Only" Using keyboard, select Windows key + P, there should be a panel that pops up showing showing different computer screen modes. If yours is set to extend or something else, choose "Computer Only", save and relaunch Origin and SimCity

If you finally get it to work, please shoot us a message so we know what worked for you. I'm running out of ideas lol

Message 7 of 9 (539 Views)

★ Novice

Awesome! Thank you @BlackjackWidow 

For some reason, it was the internet connection. I closed down Origin, physically unplugged the ethernet connection, and then started up Origin and then SimCity. For the first time ever the SimCity logo popped up on the screen and it went to starting window with an error of internet connection. 

Once plugging the ethernet cable back in it all worked perfectly. I also played a little, then shut it down to see if it would launch, and it worked perfectly.

Thanks!!!

Message 8 of 9 (480 Views)

Hero (Retired)
So glad you were able to get it working. Thanks for replying back about what was wrong. It can definitely help someone else to know what happened and how you fixed it.
Message 9 of 9 (470 Views)