Re: How to Build High Density City with High Value (Max) Help/Tips Please

by BlackjackWidow

Original Post

How to Build High Density City with High Value (Max) Help/Tips Please

★★ Apprentice

I am new to the game, I got it through Origin Acess. I fell in love with the game couldn't put it down for 5 days straight after installing it. I have 2 cities and one great work, it took me 54 hours of trial and error to learn. I have the Arbotorum? you know the place where sims can live as a great work? forgot the name. I also have total of 28 million simoleons. I would like to build a new city in a different region of the map. However I can't figure out how to get a Big city with Maxed out High Value (Land) and High Density. I tend to only get one or the other per city building but can't seem to find a way to get both maxed out.

Yes I do place Parks, yes I do leave a decent amount of room, I usually build within the grid lines. I don't know what to do. Are Mega Towers the only solution? I would like to know how to get Highest Value and Highest Density. By Value I mean Wealth? you know the two green satisfaction bars you get on Buildings? One is Density and other I think is Wealth or Value. 

How do I get both satisfaction bars to the max I either get one or the other I tried everything.

Message 1 of 4 (2,389 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hi Prophet! Getting a High Density, High Wealth city can be a challenge, but it can be done! Congrats on building the Arcology; that will definitely help in your goals. One of the challenges in getting HD HW commercial buildings is all those buildings want low wealth workers. They will commute in from the Arcology, so that will help with keeping your commercial open and happy (which in turn keeps your HW shoppers happy)

Seems like you've got the basics for getting HW residents; here are some other tips that might help:

1. Be patient! It takes a while and you have to keep those hoity-toity residents happy. They are very fickle; if you don't have all your services running smoothly, they will leave for greener pastures. Start with dirt roads and upgrade as they become ready to expand. You have to have HD roads, or avenues, to get HD buildings, but it works best if you start with low and keep them happy, then upgrade until they're building HD. 
  2. HW parks and most services will raise your land value. Things like garbage and industrial zones will lower them. Check your land value maps often to make sure you're placing residential and commercial strategically. Also watch indirect things, like wind direction - have your garbage dump, sewer services, and industry downwind from your HW residential and commercial
  3. Traffic! HW residents do NOT ride buses. They drive their cars. Help this alot by placing your commercial inside your residential areas so they walk to shopping. Try a ratio of 3:1:1 for RCI - so 3 residential for every 1 commercial building on a street. I like to zone the grid so that only the right side of the block has zoning, with about a third in the middle of the zoning being commercial and residential on either side of the commercial. (having them zoned on the right side means they don't have to wait for traffic to clear to turn into their building). Avoid 4-way stops that back up traffic; go with 3-way stops, they keep traffic flowing
  4. Taxes - the lower the taxes, the better they like it. Keep it at 7% while you're building up, lower it a bit at a time and they will love it. 
  5. Education - any city benefits from education, but HW really loves it. If you have problems with fires or crime, raise your education instead of adding more fire trucks and police cars. Payoff is huge. I like community colleges placed around the city instead of universities. Put them in walking distance of the residents. The education levels will still be high, but less traffic and expense.
  6. Services - Get clinics, police and fire stations in as soon as you can afford them. If you're building education along with the city, you won't necessarily need hospitals and huge additional services; it is possible that the region can send arsonists and thieves to your HW city, though, and you need to keep up to keep your residents happy. Never let garbage or sewer services close or overflow. That will cause a mass exodus of people and those wealthy citizens get sick really easily. Could take months to recover!

Since you're having so much fun, I think you would like Skye Storme's 60 second tips. I learned a ton from his videos. If you enjoy those, I've learned a lot from his Let's Play series; it was created when Cities of Tomorrow expansion first came out, but there are tons of tips scattered around in there, too.

Hope this helps! Have fun Standard smile

Message 2 of 4 (2,294 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Well thank you so much for your thorough reply. I was away for a few days had not check the Forums. Thanks for the tips

Message 3 of 4 (2,220 Views)

Hero (Retired)
Happy building!
Message 4 of 4 (2,204 Views)