Re: How can you transfer saved games to windows 10?

by BlackjackWidow

Original Post

Accepted Solution

How can you transfer saved games to windows 10?

★ Guide

Hi

I have many saved games on my desktop (W7) but wondered if it was possible to transfer them to the new W10 laptop.

I have not yet been able to work out where saved games are stored with the new laptop - in W7 it was my documents simcity, etc

Does anyone know how to do this please?

Keith

Message 1 of 5 (2,884 Views)

Accepted Solution

Hero (Retired)

If you're working offline, your cities are saved locally on the old computer's hard drive. Default location is C:\Users\<User Name>\Documents\SimCity (It will have folders called Games, Movies, Pictures) Copy the SimCity folder onto a thumb drive and transfer it to your new PC in the same location. If you don't have a Documents\SimCity folder on your W10 laptop, just copy the whole thing over. It's probably only created when you save that first local city.

Be aware if you're working offline that the game only updates your local copy, there's not a copy on the server. So playing on the new computer will not update the old computer's version.

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (3,085 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

If you're working offline, your cities are saved locally on the old computer's hard drive. Default location is C:\Users\<User Name>\Documents\SimCity (It will have folders called Games, Movies, Pictures) Copy the SimCity folder onto a thumb drive and transfer it to your new PC in the same location. If you don't have a Documents\SimCity folder on your W10 laptop, just copy the whole thing over. It's probably only created when you save that first local city.

Be aware if you're working offline that the game only updates your local copy, there's not a copy on the server. So playing on the new computer will not update the old computer's version.

Message 2 of 5 (3,086 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@BlackjackWidow Thansk for this, but it has not worked for me. I copied :\Users\<User Name>\Documents\SimCity and C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games and C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin and reinstalled Origin, none of which worked. Origin continues to tell me I have no games
Message 3 of 5 (2,026 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@adey11 The following worked for me:-
http://www.dfwfuturecity.org/SCFiles.pdf
Message 4 of 5 (2,023 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@adey11 - Glad you found something that worked for you, although the instructions you followed are essentially the same. Perhaps the first time you didn't copy all of the files and sub-folders, or maybe you weren't in Single Player mode, so you didn't see your regions listed. 

As far as the Origin install, there is no reason to copy the Origin program files directory at all - just install Origin on the new computer and be sure to log in to the same account. All games are permanently registered to your Origin account, so as long as you're logged in to the correct account you will see all of your registered games. All SimCity multiplayer / online regions & cities are saved via Origin as well, so no copying is necessary to move from one computer to another.

Glad to hear you got it sorted - Happy Building!

Message 5 of 5 (2,009 Views)