Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

HERE ARE CRASH SOLUTION(s)

by Spwn2Pwn

Original Post

Highlighted

HERE ARE CRASH SOLUTION(s)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Ok so I've found some crash solutions, one is my own (seems to work for a lot of people).

There are 2 separate solutions I've found help most people. Here they are:

Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on Windows 7 (got the instructions from here):

1. Click Start, and then click Network. (click Start, type ncpa.cpl into the search box for Windows 7 or Vista, hit ENTER).
  2. Click on the Network and Sharing Center
  3. Click Manage Network Connections.
  4. Right click on the Local Area Connection select Properties.
  5. Select Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
  6. Click the Advanced button under the General tab.
  7. Click the WINS tab.
  8. Click Enable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP.
  9. Click OK and Exit the settings.
  1. Back up SimCity just to be safe, this shouldn't actually delete any game files (Usually SimCity is located in  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity").
  2. Then you must follow the instructions here to completely uninstall Origin.
  3. After doing this, go back into regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Wow6432Node > Origin Games. Depending on how many games you have you will find a few registry folders that come up as numbers.
  4. If you click on any of these there will be a value in the right pane called "DisplayName", which shows the name of the game that registry location is for.
  5. Find the registry (in the Origin Games registry folder) that shows SimCity for the DisplayName.
  6. Once you find the SimCity registry folder, delete it!
  7. Re-download a new Origin install file, and install Origin.
  8. Now go to the location that you installed Origin in (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin) and find the "Origin.exe" file.
  9. Right click the file and go to properties and then go to the compatibility tab. At the bottom there will be a check box with "Run this program as administrator". Check the box, click apply, then click ok. 

Now you should be able to go to the launcher and run the game. If the servers are down then you will have to wait to do any logging in or updating. However, I did find that after doing the steps above, the first time opening the SimCity launcher always gives an error about connecting to the server. Don't panic, just hit reconnect button on the bottom right (the circular path arrow) and it should successfully connect (as long as the servers are up).

If this does not solve the problem, please say so by posting a reply so I, along with others can help.... Seeing how EA doesn't know how to do that, it is time for us consumers to take matters into our own hands for the sake of the enjoyment of this product that truly at its heart is a wonderful product. It is just plagued by the bugs of a botched release.

Yours Truly,

A devoted SimCity fan!

Message 1 of 21 (2,846 Views)

Re: CRASH SOLUTION(s)

★★★★ Novice

Please note that these solutions have only been tested to work with the problem where the Simcity.exe file crashes/terminates before the launcher shows up.

Message 2 of 21 (2,826 Views)

★★ Novice

I Tried the first step, it did work for me, just waiting on servers from EA now.

First  step does work!
For sure!

Do you know if there is any place that EA has posted of the Server Status? Do you have a Link?

I  just like to know when the servers are up, instead of just pushing play game and hoping it is. Thanks for you help!

Message 3 of 21 (2,812 Views)

★★★★ Novice

The only place I know they have server statuses are on SimCity's twitter page.

Origin has their own server status indication web page here as well for those who may not know.

Message 4 of 21 (2,783 Views)

★★ Novice

@Spwn2Pwn wrote:

The only place I know they have server statuses are on SimCity's twitter page.

Origin has their own server status indication web page here as well for those who may not know.

Ok good, I have the Twitter page open, the second link is for Origin, but the server issues are with EA not origin right ?

Just wanna make sure i have been bashing the right company.

Jk  jk :P

Message 5 of 21 (2,743 Views)

Re: HERE ARE CRASH SOLUTION(s)

★★★★ Novice

does this work with windows 8?

Message 6 of 21 (2,726 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Neither solution worked for me.

Message 7 of 21 (2,565 Views)

★★★★ Newbie

TCP/IP method work for me~~~~ THX!!!!

Using

Win8 64 bit

8 GB DDR 800

AMD 1045T @ 3.2 GHZ

AMD 7850 2GB @ 1GHZ

13.2 beta driver

origin and simcity installed on default driver 

Message 8 of 21 (2,509 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@0xMrHappyx0 wrote:

does this work with windows 8?

It should work with Windows 8. There are not many differences (in terms of how things are processed) between windows 7 and 8.

Message 9 of 21 (2,344 Views)

★★★★ Novice

scorpali82 wrote:

Neither solution worked for me.

What happens when you try and run the game?

Message 10 of 21 (2,337 Views)

fifa-20-promo-splash

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help