Re: Garbage Trucks Not Collecting. Recycling Works.

by St3llar-An0maly

Original Post

Garbage Trucks Not Collecting. Recycling Works.

★★ Novice

After bulldozing my city and restarting from scratch I have a problem with my garbage collection system. Unfortunately none of my garbage trucks go out to collect any waste. However, when I look in the truck garages, there are no trucks in there. So basically, my waste is forever piling up and I can't do anything about it.

Weirdly, recycling collection and trucks work absolutely fine. Only garbage poses a problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 10 (5,870 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

To keep my recycling center working I have to periodically shut off the trucks then turn them back on... you might want to go into your dump and try the same thing.  Just turn the individual garages off for about 2 hours game time, then turn them back on before the next garbage shift is supposed to start.

Let me know if that works.

Message 2 of 10 (5,856 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I managed to get round the recycling jam problem by building two. As soon as the storage amount was updated for one, both would start working again. It still wasn't brilliant, as I had about 60 tonnes of recycling that needed to be squeezed into about 4 tonnes of free space, but it was something. I'm glad to hear it's working again now, though!

Message 3 of 10 (5,849 Views)

★★ Novice

sometimes get bugged the storage too not recycling so the trucks will not work at all....need to buldoze them and reinstall them,i hope this thing will get fixes soon..

Message 4 of 10 (5,830 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This might be a bit late, to respond to this post, but here goes.

To get your garbage / recycling working correctly do the following:

1. Make sure your public transport works well, to ease the traffic flow.

2. Make sure to educate your sims to have them recycle more than they trash.

3. Make sure not to send your trucks to neighboring cities or to have your garbage / recycling collected by neighboring cities.

4. Make sure you have enough garbage / recycling trucks and make sure you don't run out of space, if you run out of space, it might be time to upgrade your recycling / garbage centers.

5. Make sure to have a trade center and to have enough trucks to go to the trade center, from your recycling center.

6. Make sure to have storage holds for the type of materials you recycle, at both the recycling center and trade center, ie: alloy, plastic & metal.

7. Make sure you have enough trucks at the trade center to get rid of materials.

8. Easiest way to get rid of materials is to have it sold to the market.

If you were to follow these steps, you are ensured to have a well functioning garbage system.

9. Make sure to start educating your sims early and to start both recycling & garbage collections early to ensure you don't run into trouble.

I hope this helps other people that might be struggling with this issue.

Message 5 of 10 (4,366 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hello,

My sims in sim city cities of tomorrow are protesting about garbage.

My trash overlay shows all garbage and recycling being picked up. 

My Recycling center is in both my city( 16 Trucks/ 4 delivery trucks) and and neighboring city lends 28 trucks.

My Garbage trash center is in the neighboring city 10 trucks.

My trash level is 415 of 1318 and recycle is 6309 of 108,134

I looked at forum post and it was still an issue since 2013 and they suggested that when you destroyed a building it does not deduct from the totals causing a  buildup.

Message 6 of 10 (4,243 Views)

Hero (Retired)

If your trash overlay shows any red bars of trash, then you have a true trash problem. If they're protesting at city hall about garbage but everything is picked up, it's possible you had a problem that's been fixed now and they will eventually stop the protest. Most of the time a trash issue is because of traffic or not enough incinerators or dumps to keep up with the trash. Since your neighboring city is providing all of the trash service, make certain that the garbage trucks are able to get in and out of your city. If they're stuck in traffic at the entrance they may not be able to pick up all the trash by the time they get in. If it takes until the end of the day for them to get into the city, they will just turn around and leave.

I'm a little confused that you say all trash is being picked up but that your trash level is "415 of 1318 and recycle is 6309 of 108,134". Time of (Sim) day is probably the reason. The garbage trucks go out in the morning and will run through the city all day long to pick up the trash. As long as they have picked up everything by the end of the day, it's fine. But if they can't get to all the buildings during their work day, the trash will pile up and overflow, causing garbage problems. Watch your trash overlay for a Sim day, and see how long it takes for the trucks to arrive and get through your city and back out. Check the numbers at 8 pm, they should show all of the garbage picked up by then.

There is another possibility, the garbage trucks from the region may have gotten lost or disappeared (again, this usually happens when they can't get to their destination in time due to traffic issues). The city providing the garbage service should try demolishing the truck garages and rebuilding them, that will put new trucks in. Also, they need to have the capacity to deal with all the trash - enough dumps to hold the garbage, and enough incinerators to process it so there is none remaining by the time the next day's collection starts.

If I were you, I would put in a garbage dump in your city in an out-of-the-way place, and let each city take care of its own garbage. Keep an eye on your traffic issues and make sure the trucks can get through the collection by the end of the day, and process the garbage by the beginning of the next day. Once it's all caught up and your traffic issues are solved, you can always demolish it.

Message 7 of 10 (4,234 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hello,

I understand what  you are talking about but my overlay shows no trash at the end of the day. There is not a problem with traffic I have looked into that see and count all trucks entering that city. But it still show 108k.    your response would be welcome. I also understand if i had  108k residents that 108k trash is reasonablebut the city only has 78k residents. does that correlate?

Message 8 of 10 (4,231 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Your trash and recyclable count can be more than your resident count. Trash is also different than recyclables, so I was getting confused focusing on trash when you're apparently concerned about the recyclables. It's possible that your recycling is stalled. I answered your other thread more completely. I've submitted the answer 3 times now and it's not showing up, so I'm not certain what the problem is. I'll try again, but apologies in advance if you get the same reply there multiple times. Standard smile

Message 9 of 10 (4,203 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I hope this user is still around and can reply, because I like the rationality of this reply. I have encountered a similar problem which I believe is a genuine glitch.

I had (past tense) a garbage and recyclable collection problem. I have encountered it several times but haven't had an opportunity to really work on it (high school teacher). There are 120k residents in this city.

Initially the problem was a genuine resource allocation problem. I did not have enough dumps and recycling centers to pick everything up. After creating two dumps and two recycling centers there are sufficient trucks to pick everything up.

Then I discovered the flaw in my road system. I had already set up a processors factory and a TV/computer factory (importing raw commodities). Also have trade depots set up (landlocked so no port). I had an intersection right at the access point from the highway (grrrr) that was blocking traffic entering the city. Once I cleared that up trucks are able to get in to pick up TVs and computers for the global market. After that bottleneck cleared the supply chain opened up. Computers and TVs are selling like gangbusters, there are no clogged storage facilities in my trade depots, and recycling/trash pickup is finishing daily by noon-2pm in the game cycle.

So here is what I believe is a glitch. The game tells me there are 179k bins of recycling to be picked up in a city of 120k. I watched the waste disposal map for several 24-hour cycles in the game and the recycling trucks/centers are picking up and processing around 12k daily (about 8-10k garbage being collected as well). They finish by around noon in the game, the trucks park in their garages, and the centers shut down actually until the next 24 cycle begins.

The game still shows approximately 179k bins to be collected... BUT there hasn't been a protest in over a month (at least) in the game time, the happiness map shows everyone copacetic, and I also haven't had any buildings abandoned for garbage or germs in a month (game time) at least.

This doesn't seem to be affecting game play, but it's the kind of thing that drives a perfectionist like me nuts. The game still shows 179k bins to be collected every day. Hmm...

Message 10 of 10 (4,076 Views)