Re: Game is stuck on Finalizing after Installing

by CosmicZeus

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game is stuck on Finalizing after Installing

★★★ Novice

So I recently wanted to get back into SimCity, so I reinstalled it and then it said Finalizing and I thought it shouldn't take too long. That was last week and it is stuck on Finalizing saying "0%" and with "0hrs 0mins and 0sec remaining". I've tried singing out and restarting my computer, safe mode downloading, uninstalling and reinstalling Origin, and clearing Origin's cache but nothing has worked. Can some please help, I would really appreciate it? For more information, I have a Alienware 17 laptop with Windows 10 (64-bits) and use fully up to date Origin.

Message 1 of 9 (24,315 Views)

Accepted Solution

Hero (Retired)

Sounds like the install is being blocked by something - antivirus, firewall, etc. Check C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\__Installer for the InstallLog.txt file. It should show you where it's stalling. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card. If you have BitDefender or the sound program Nahimic from MSI installed, disable or uninstall them. Both are known to be incompatible with SimCity.

Reboot computer & router to start fresh. Try disabling antivirus during install, make sure SimCity.exe is added to your firewall exception list. Run Origin.exe and SimCity.exe "As Administrator". If you still have problems, try a clean boot and attempt to install SimCity. If it works, you'll have some detective work to do, enable one startup program at a time, reboot, try SimCity, until you find the program that is blocking it. 

View in thread

Message 4 of 9 (25,381 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

Try copying your update files to the program directory. Close SimCity and Origin & reboot. Go to Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityUserData\Patches\UpdatedApp  Select all files (Ctrl-A) and copy (Ctrl-C). Go to \Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity and paste (Ctrl-V). Choose to overwrite any files that already exist. Then relaunch and see if it finalizes.

Message 2 of 9 (24,293 Views)

★★★ Novice
For some reason I don't have SimCityUserData file, the closest thing to it is SimCityData but that doesn't have the patches or UpdateApp files either.
Message 3 of 9 (24,279 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Sounds like the install is being blocked by something - antivirus, firewall, etc. Check C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\__Installer for the InstallLog.txt file. It should show you where it's stalling. Make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card. If you have BitDefender or the sound program Nahimic from MSI installed, disable or uninstall them. Both are known to be incompatible with SimCity.

Reboot computer & router to start fresh. Try disabling antivirus during install, make sure SimCity.exe is added to your firewall exception list. Run Origin.exe and SimCity.exe "As Administrator". If you still have problems, try a clean boot and attempt to install SimCity. If it works, you'll have some detective work to do, enable one startup program at a time, reboot, try SimCity, until you find the program that is blocking it. 

Message 4 of 9 (25,382 Views)

★★★ Novice

The clean reboot worked the game installed but of course one problem after the other and now the game won't update. I click update game but nothing happens.

Message 5 of 9 (24,227 Views)

★★★ Novice

Actually come to think of it might be the bad wifi were I am right now. But anyways thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Message 6 of 9 (24,226 Views)

Hero (Retired)
Definitely could be a spotty Internet connection. Also could be another program blocking your access, since it installed with a clean boot.

Did you find which startup program was the culprit & disable it? If not, whatever was blocking it before is blocking it again. To figure it out, you have to do another clean boot, check that SimCity runs, then close SimCity, open the clean boot page & enable one program, reboot & try SimCity again.

Keep enabling programs down the list, rebooting & starting SimCity, until it won't start. Once it won't start, you know the last thing you enabled is the one that is blocking it. Then, you can set your boot menu so the offending program doesn't start (leave it unchecked).

Be aware if you have the sound program Nahimic 2 or the anti-spyware program Bit Defender, they will both block SimCity. You should disable or uninstall either of them.
Message 7 of 9 (24,213 Views)

★★★ Novice

That fixed it, thank you.

Message 8 of 9 (24,183 Views)

Hero (Retired)

I'm so glad you got the game working - just to help others in the future, which program was it that blocked you from playing? Was it BitDefender, Nahimic 2, or something else? Many thanks!

Message 9 of 9 (24,127 Views)