Game cant find saved single player files

by tonjkris

Original Post

Game cant find saved single player files

★★ Novice

Have spent 43 hours playing my SimCity game in sandbox mode in single player. I saved the game several times along the way using the "save as"-option to create named save files. When I start the game today, there is no option to "continue" or load game, I am told that I do not have any games saved and to start a new one. How do I get the game program to find/recognize my saved games?! 43 hours...

Message 1 of 5 (853 Views)

Re: Game cant find saved single player files

★★ Novice
Are you sure you wern't in multiplayer? (either while trying to load or while playing)
Message 2 of 5 (827 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

If you were able to "save as", then you were definitely playing in single player mode. Make sure that when you restarted, you didn't just accidentally hit the wrong tab and are viewing the multiplayer mode.

The most likely reasons for not finding your saved games is that you are not logged in as the same user, either in Windows or in SimCity (or you're on a different computer). The single player mode saves your games to the hard drive of the computer on which you're playing.

First, make sure you're using the same user name in SimCity. It's easy to accidentally log in to Origin & SimCity under another email address, and that makes it look like everything is gone. If that's the problem, it's pretty easily solved and panic averted.

Next, make sure you're logged into Windows as the same user; the saved files are under the Documents folder for the user name you were using. If you want to switch the games to a different Windows user name (or computer) - First, log out of SimCity and Origin. Go to the original location \Users\<user name>\Documents, copy the entire SimCity folder, then paste everything to the correct user name's Documents folder. 

When you launch SimCity, it will find the folders and show you your cities. There should be a "resume" button with the city you were last playing, and a "play" button that will take you to the list of your "save as" games and another tab if you want to start a new region.

Hope that gets you back to building! Good luck!

Message 3 of 5 (813 Views)

★ Novice

Quick question....did they do away with multiplayer?  Ive been away from this for a few years and can't seem to find it.... ;(. thanks

Message 4 of 5 (805 Views)

Hero (Retired)
Multiplayer is still there - log in to SimCity, above the Resume and Play buttons, there are two tabs. Click on the Multiplayer tab to switch.

(One thing I noticed, in order to switch servers you'll want to click on the Multiplayer tab, then log out. When you log back in, it will show the "choose a server" link in the bottom left of the launcher.)
Message 5 of 5 (793 Views)