Error Communicating With Origin. Please Check That Origin Is Online

by IzaLoozer

Original Post

Error Communicating With Origin. Please Check That Origin Is Online

★★ Novice

Just purchased and installed Simcity, though I'm not able to play it for some reason.  Each time I try to start the game I get a popup saying "Error Communicating With Origin. Please Check That Origin Is Online" and the option to "QUIT"..  I see on the screen underneath the popup that it say's "Failed to Authenticate with Simcity Servers".  Not sure what the problem is...I know it's online.  Any help would be appreciated

Message 1 of 10 (4,134 Views)

Re: Error Communicating With Origin. Please Check That Origin Is Online

★★ Novice

I would check your windows fireawall, first, to make sure that the application is allowed to access both public and private networks.

Message 2 of 10 (4,089 Views)

EA Sims Team

Also check anti-virus and other Internet security has both Origin and SimCity in the approved applications lists.

Message 3 of 10 (4,086 Views)

★★ Novice

Double checked both windows firewall and allowances in my anti-virus...Still not working. 

Message 4 of 10 (4,082 Views)

★★ Novice

Oh well...I was really looking forward to playing this, but I'm getting a refund.  Hopefully they'll fix the problems and/or change the "Always Online" policy in which case I'll try purchansing it again. 

Message 5 of 10 (4,060 Views)

★ Novice

Just an idea. I purchased the game today too.. I have been having a hard time communicating with the servers as well. I purchased the game on the disc and after multiple attempts at trying to download the updates it just wouldnt go. I found another forum that said to uninstall the disc version and download the game from Origin. I did that and so far the updating is working.. albeit.. crazy slow just because I think the EA/Maxis SimCity servers are garbage. The download speed is a well known problem.

Just my thoughts.

-Kevin

Message 6 of 10 (4,057 Views)

EA Sims Team

izaloozer you may want to contact EA Support at https://help.ea.com/contact-us as they will help guide you through the process to get Origin to connect properly. Without Origin connected you won't be able to do what kesm543 mentions.

kesm543 we use a third party CDN for making game files available for download. The download and extraction happens at the same time when installing SimCity. At approximately 2GB of download and extracting it can take a while depending on machine and connection speeds.

Message 7 of 10 (4,048 Views)

★★ Novice

I'm totally confused.  I refunded Simcity and now Origin is going online with no problems at all.  I don't know...Maybe I'll try and purchase it again, but I buy something to enjoy it...Not get hammered with headaches like this.

Message 8 of 10 (4,042 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I bought the game through origin and im having this same problem I've checked my anti-virus and all the solutions on this thread and I've had no luck Devil

Message 9 of 10 (2,123 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Close Origin - make sure it is completely closed and not just in the task bar. Right-click the icon in the task bar and choose "Exit". Do a ctrl-alt-delete, choose task manager and close the application from there if it exists. Then try these steps

1. Reboot your router/modem
  2. Make certain anti-virus and firewall have Origin and SimCity listed in their exception lists
  3. Set Origin and SimCity to Run As Administrator.
  4. Set SimCity to Run in Windows 7 Compatibility mode (right-click the desktop shortcut, choose properties-compatibility)
  5. Disable Origin in-game (in Origin, right-click the SimCity game icon, choose Game Properties and click the box that says "Disable Origin in-game for this game"

These next steps, you don't need to do every time you start the game, just try each once to see if they work:

I. Disable UAC:

1. Press the Windows key and X.
  2. Click on Control Panel.
  3. In the search box, type uac, and then click Change User Account Control settings.
  4. To disable User Access Control:
    • Move the slider to the Never notify position, and then click OK.
    • If you're asked for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or provide confirmation.
    • You will need to restart your computer for UAC to be turned off.
  5. Once you've restarted, launch your game. 
  6. Let it run for a few minutes and then exit out of the game. 
  7. Search for uac again and hit Enter.
  8. To re-enable User Account Control:
    • Move the slider to choose when you want to be notified, and then click OK.  
    • If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or provide confirmation.

II. Perform a clean boot, then run the game. If it works, then enable each startup program until you find which one is incompatible and blocking the game. 

III. Run a repair on SimCity Open Origin, Right-click the SimCity icon and choose "Repair Game"

IV. Use SimCity Recovery tool. \Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityRecovery\SimCityRecovery.exe. Be patient, this is a targeted reinstall of the game and can take a while to complete. 

Message 10 of 10 (2,118 Views)