Re: Cannot access SimCity's Game Manual

by BlackjackWidow

Original Post

Cannot access SimCity's Game Manual

★★★ Newbie

Howdy,

I don't know if anyone else is having this issue, but I'm unable to get the Game Manual through Origin for the SimCity game. I click on the information 'i' button on the Origin program, but whether I choose the 'Game Manual' or 'Epilepsy Warning' it only dowloads the 'Epilepsy Warning' zip folder.

Message 1 of 12 (2,175 Views)

★ Pro
Message 2 of 12 (2,160 Views)

★★★ Newbie
This link goes to the EA page about the game, but there's no game manual or links to a game manual.
Message 3 of 12 (2,084 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Hi @Cutie314Pi! EA changed the help site around a while ago, and they didn't update in-game links for all of the legacy games. The help and manuals can be difficult to find.

Here is the link for the manual (scroll to the bottom and click on the "manual" button): https://help.ea.com/en/simcity/simcity/ 

Happy Building!

Message 4 of 12 (2,053 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

That link takes me to a two page QRC. I need a complete game manual that describes the features of the game, such as defining what the Great Works location is and why should I care about it.

Clicking game manual in the game doesn't open up lessons like in the Sims (sims 4), instead it takes you to a page that lists all of the SimCity games, which is pretty worthless. https://www.ea.com/games/simcity

When you click the SimCity icon for help it takes you to the page for the mobile game, again pretty worthless: https://www.ea.com/games/simcity/simcity-mobile

Message 5 of 12 (1,847 Views)

★★★ Guide
unfortunately that link returns a page not found
Message 6 of 12 (1,844 Views)

★★★ Guide
Thanks, but I was hoping for something longer that discusses the game play, for instance what is a Great Works, that wasn't covered in the tutorial. And I purchased the complete set, so none of the dlcs were covered in the tutorial.
Message 7 of 12 (1,843 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hi @troshalom - There is not much available from EA directly. You're right, the manual and tutorial are very basic. Most of the "help tips" are in-game and only become available when you reach a point where you "need" the information. Be sure to enable the mini-tutorials in your game settings; this will pop up the lessons you're used to seeing in other Sim games, like TS4. Unfortunately, I'm unaware of any way to directly access those without playing the game, so it does make it challenging if you're trying to figure out information before you begin playing.

You can get some basic info about the Great Works by hovering over the images of each, or over the advisor in the regional view. Here is a decent overview of the choices: https://simcity.fandom.com/wiki/Great_work

When you meet the requirements to build a Great Work, there are some tutorials out there that can take you through it. I do highly recommend Skye Storme's Let's Play videos for a fairly in-depth look at how to get ready and build an arcology. Episode 4 begins the process & shows how to optimize traffic and imports (starting around 10 minutes in if you're not interested in some of the recap of the previous episodes). Episode 5 shows the final building, and how to enable on the other cities.

By the time you have built your city up with all the unlocks and resources to unlock and build one of the Great Works, you will probably be more familiar with the game and the in-game tips can help a little. There are a few things to keep in mind:

1. A Great Work (GW) can only be built by cities directly connected to the site. In larger regions, you may have 4 cities connected to one site and another 3 or 4 cities connected to another site. The GW will only help the cities it's directly connected to, and can only be built by them.

2. Do NOT click the button to "Build It" on more than one city - you will forever bug the GW and have to abandon the region. This is a major bug that is caused by synchronization; if you choose to build an arcology from city 1, then transfer to city 2, it won't immediately show as being built and may be prompting you to build a GW. Let city 2 run until you see a message that city 1 has petitioned to build it. The absolute best, least bugged way to build any of them is to do it from one city from start to finish, then transfer to each of the other cities and wait until you get the message that the GW has been started. It will go through all the phases and finally get to the end where you get a celebration. Ignore any messages asking you to help or build from city 2, 3 or 4. It may take a couple of minutes, but it will eventually synch to finished. It will function properly from every connected city after that.

3. Trade port and depot global warehouses should be set to "Import" or "Use Locally" for the resources you're supplying to the GW. If you set them to "Export", they will sell to the global market instead of delivering to the GW construction.

I hope this helps a bit. When you get to the point that you are building a GW and have any specific questions, I'm happy to try to help more then, too. Happy Building!

Message 8 of 12 (1,827 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi, I tried clicking on the link and when I clicked on the Manual button nothing happened?

Message 9 of 12 (1,771 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@gazzy1207 wrote:

Hi, I tried clicking on the link and when I clicked on the Manual button nothing happened?

Hi @gazzy1207  - Sometimes browsers have pop-up blockers that can affect the ability to download from a link on the page. You could try right-clicking the manual button and choose to open in a new tab or download directly. Here is the direct link to the manual: https://eaassets-a.akamaihd.net/eahelp/manuals/simcity-manuals_PC.pdf  

Happy Building!

Message 10 of 12 (1,759 Views)