Re: Account Avatar wont show up in game

by BlackjackWidow

Original Post

★ Novice
Same problem here 🙌

Ist very hard to play with full maps when all have that BLUE icon...
Message 11 of 15 (1,093 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I preordered the game, played a bit in 2013 when it was released, but I shelved it until a few months ago. I definitely recall the avatar working back then, but find myself on this thread now after months of frustration due to the blue question mark. I get that this game is old news, but I still think it’s pretty sad EA can’t just make this simple fix for those of us who continue to play the game.

Message 12 of 15 (825 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Mayor-Woodard wrote:

I preordered the game, played a bit in 2013 when it was released, but I shelved it until a few months ago. I definitely recall the avatar working back then, but find myself on this thread now after months of frustration due to the blue question mark. I get that this game is old news, but I still think it’s pretty sad EA can’t just make this simple fix for those of us who continue to play the game.

@Mayor-Woodard - I feel the same frustration. I've searched for months myself for an answer to this question, and the only answer that I've found that makes sense is that avatar pics are updated during a patch. Since there are no further patches for SimCity at this point, they never get updated. Frown  I wish had a better answer, but none of the conventional wisdom has worked for me to this point. In case it helps you, make sure your avatar is chosen under your account at EA.com. Login > Choose Account Settings > Edit Avatar

I have wondered if a full uninstall / reinstall would work, since it's downloading everything the first time, but have not tried that option myself. If you want to try it, follow the steps to Uninstall Origin The Hard Way. Then make sure your avatar is set on EA.com, and reinstall Origin and then SimCity. If you go this route, please let us know if it helps. 

Happy Building!

Message 13 of 15 (807 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@BlackjackWidow Does not work.
EA is a lousy company when it comes to supporting games down the road.
Message 14 of 15 (548 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Fruitn - Thanks for the update. I think the theory that the avatars only get updated when the server is updated is probably the correct one. I lost my online avatar over a year ago and tried everything listed to get it back. It was just gone - but then magically appeared a few months ago. So, I think the only thing you can do is make certain your EA avatar is set, then hope for server maintenance. Definitely not a great system, unfortunately it's the way it was programmed and I hope there will be more forward-thinking programming in any future games.

Message 15 of 15 (532 Views)