Re: Wheel, let us map menu controls, please

by DxBang3D

Original Post

Wheel, let us map menu controls, please

★★ Apprentice

WARNING

You can only map menu controls for devices that have no preset control scheme.

How can I wipe a control scheme complete so I can be able to use the upper-paddles and gear paddles for menus with the Fanatecc Podium Advanced Paddle Module?

I find it extremely annoying that some of the features are forced, e.g. the "turn in" on the pit, is the (X) button on the Fanatec Formula V2/V2.5 wheel, which is the same button I choose for "Flashback" so guess what happens when I do the turn-in, in the pit? Yeah, correct, it does a flashback.

So please, allow us to configure OUR settings as WE want them to be! Don't lock us down!

If there is an ini file, json file whatever I can edit, then fine, I just don't want the flashback and turn-in button to be the same! 

The year is 2022,.. not 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_84A1Eab5M

Message 1 of 7 (6,387 Views)

★★ Novice

Me too, I use keyboard and I want control menu by custom keys rather than using some far keys like F5, F6 to control menu.

Message 2 of 7 (6,261 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Yeah, I have Thrustmaster T248 and it is not reacting on my efforts to change the default wheel settings to the way I want them to be. EA you ruin all good things you ever made. NFS is crap, now F1 becomes a crap. I want my money back, this game is unplayable. Do you Force me to buy a gamepad to play this game? No way, I have a wheel with pedals and a shifter, so I want to use them, and I want to use them my way, not EA way

Message 3 of 7 (6,203 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

I have found a way to "hack" it...

in the "F1 22\actionmaps" folder you can find all of the supported wheel devices in XML files.

Open the file, in a text editor, which matches your base. e.g. Fanatec DD (PC Mode) will be "fanatec_dd_pro.xml"

Then locate the wheel preset which matches the Wheel e.g. Fanatec Formula v2.5 with podium paddles I chose "Podium Racing Wheel F1"

The buttons are named di_button_0, di_button_1, di_button_2, starting from 0, but in the UI it will show as ( 1 ), ( 2 ), ( 3 ) so keep that in mind, from what you see in the UI, it is minus 1.

So "Menu Trigger Left" which will be the LB on the Xbox Controller, is normally button ( 6 ) or di_button_5 in the XML, but we want it to be on the Upper Paddle Left shifter, which in the UI is shown as ( 61 ), so that will be di_button_60 in the XML.

"Menu Trigger Right" will be di_button_61 or ( 62 ) in the UI.

Change those and save the file, start the game up and go controller setup for your wheel, choose the "originally modified" preset "Podium Racing Wheel F1" and change the rest of the buttons as you please, then save the preset as a new and you will now be able to control the menus with the Upper Paddle Shifter on the Fanatec Podium Wheel.

Have fun and drive responsibly! 

/cheers

Here is a link to my modifications
https://bang.systems/download/fanatec_dd_pro.zip

Message 4 of 7 (6,138 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@DxBang3D wrote:

I have found a way to "hack" it...

in the "F1 22\actionmaps" folder you can find all of the supported wheel devices in XML files.

Open the file, in a text editor, which matches your base. e.g. Fanatec DD (PC Mode) will be "fanatec_dd_pro.xml"

Then locate the wheel preset which matches the Wheel e.g. Fanatec Formula v2.5 with podium paddles I chose "Podium Racing Wheel F1"

The buttons are named di_button_0, di_button_1, di_button_2, starting from 0, but in the UI it will show as ( 1 ), ( 2 ), ( 3 ) so keep that in mind, from what you see in the UI, it is minus 1.

So "Menu Trigger Left" which will be the LB on the Xbox Controller, is normally button ( 6 ) or di_button_5 in the XML, but we want it to be on the Upper Paddle Left shifter, which in the UI is shown as ( 61 ), so that will be di_button_60 in the XML.

"Menu Trigger Right" will be di_button_61 or ( 62 ) in the UI.

Change those and save the file, start the game up and go controller setup for your wheel, choose the "originally modified" preset "Podium Racing Wheel F1" and change the rest of the buttons as you please, then save the preset as a new and you will now be able to control the menus with the Upper Paddle Shifter on the Fanatec Podium Wheel.

Have fun and drive responsibly! 

/cheers

Here is a link to my modifications
https://bang.systems/download/fanatec_dd_pro.zip

Great post.

Caveat is when you verify Steam files you will need to restore your custom actionmap. So back it up, ready to overwrite the 'verified' actionmap.

Also, if you employ this workaround, it is still officially unsupported, so you should be prepared to go back to the standard actionmap when bug reporting. If your bug occurs as a result of the workaround - QED.

Message 5 of 7 (6,015 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@SteveJackson oh, yeah, i forgot to say "Back up the files before editing"... I was thinking it, but forgot to write it!
Message 6 of 7 (5,997 Views)

★★★ Newbie

where i can find the file, what is the path?

Message 7 of 7 (3,375 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help