Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

scrabble iphone

by jamcycler

Original Post

Accepted Solution

scrabble iphone

★★★★ Novice

With the latest update to the iPhone app, Scrabble has become painfully slow on iPhone 5. It's now the slowest app to load on my device, often taking a full minute to open. Gestures are inconsistent and often unresponsive to navigate among games, to Dictionary, and back to the game list. The new animations are cute but really slow and pixelated. There's little good to say about the update.

It seems like Scrabble is a UX experiment regardless of the consequences. Are your designers working to resolve these issues or will the game's playability continue to deteriorate?

Message 1 of 10 (682 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: scrabble iphone

★★★★ Novice

I deleted the App (and thus the settings and associated content) and reinstalled.  So far it seems to have fixed the problem.  Try it on your phone and see if it also fixes it for you.

View in thread

Message 7 of 10 (681 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager (retired)

Thank you for the feedback. We will pass it on to the game team. Slow loads should only take place upon initial start-up and there may be a bigger issue causing it if it happens often. Your iPhone 5 should not have any major issue due to age or OS. 

Message 2 of 10 (661 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I figured for good measure I should try deleting and reinstalling the app. It's generally faster so far, however the animations are still slow and sometimes blocky. Also, I'm no longer able to swipe among active games when it's not my turn.

Thanks for sharing my feedback! Have you noticed how many poor reviews the app has received in the App Store after the latest update? One is from me and I'll update it based on today's experience. I hope you'll push a notification to players or find some way to let people know how they might resolve some of their gripes.

Message 3 of 10 (657 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

We released the update on Android first and had some player testing on iOS but there are different issues with different OS and phones quality as well as space etc, but our team is looking into what the main issues could be. 

Message 4 of 10 (653 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I am also having this issue with the latest update.  It can take a minute or more.  It takes soooo long to load, that sometimes I often give up and move on to something else.   There is no other app that comes remotely close to taking this long to open.

I am using an iPhone 6, so it is not the problem of an old phone.

Message 5 of 10 (623 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Interesting! I'm glad to hear it's not a phone issue but that EA really needs to work on app efficiency in general. Not only does Scrabble take a long time to load and update games, it takes a significant amount of battery.

I would also like it if entering the game by a specific turn notification let me into the specific game rather than the general game list—or whatever screen was last open, if the game is still in memory.

Message 6 of 10 (620 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I deleted the App (and thus the settings and associated content) and reinstalled.  So far it seems to have fixed the problem.  Try it on your phone and see if it also fixes it for you.

Message 7 of 10 (682 Views)

★★★★ Novice

A good reminder that reinstalling an app often resolves some of these issues. I'm curious to see whether the positive effects last.

On iPhone 5, Scrabble now takes about 30 seconds to load and show current turns (still a tad long but not awful). It might be showing the correct scores before opening a board. Missing swipe gestures are still not back, though, so that's an absent feature.

Message 8 of 10 (602 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Since the latest update my Scrabble games will not load. This happens on my iPhone 6 Plus and 7 plus.

In order to play I have to delete and reinstall the app but that's only a temporary fix. The next time I open the app it's still "refreshing " and never opens.

Since it's happening on two phones I own I assume it's a system glitch. Are you aware of this problem?
Message 9 of 10 (423 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I have done everything they have told me and still I cannot get my Paid App to log in to Facebook .. I just keeps trying to load the games list

Message 10 of 10 (370 Views)

fifa-20-promo-splash

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help