Download stuck on “Preparing to Play”

by cubsclaw

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Download stuck on “Preparing to Play”

★★★ Newbie

I’m trying to download FIFA 18, but my download is frozen at 23%, where it’s “playable” threshold begins. It says both “Downloading” and “Preparing to Play”. I’ve tried using safe download, restarting Origin, and reinstalling Origin. What should I do?

Message 1 of 15 (24,323 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Download stuck on “Preparing to Play”

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Ok, I finally figured a solution out.

If your game is stuck in Preparing to Play, go to the folder of installation (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Anthem)

Double click on the "__Installer" folder and open the file InstallLog.txt.

The last lines on my file was:

22:10:50 Started DirectX Install Phase
22:10:50 Launching process:
Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Anthem\__Installer\directx\redist\dxsetup.exe" /silent
Working directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Anthem\__Installer\directx\redist\

Which means it invoked the process to install the Directx, now follow these steps:

1) Go to the Task Manager (ctrl+alt+del) and kill all the Origin process;

2) Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Anthem\__Installer\directx\redist\ and run the dxsetup.exe and follow the steps to install;

3) Now create a new folder (whatever name) and move every file except the .dll and .exe (a lot of videos shows only this process) to this new folder;

4) Open Origin again and after checking the game files the download is resumed;

5) When the message "Preparing to play" appears again, go back to the Task Manager and kill the DirectX SDK process;

After that it worked for me.

Just a note on step 3), I'm pretty sure that deleting any file in the folder should work, I just had to this because if I Open Origin after installing manually the DirectX it re-started downloading the game and it was stuck at 0b/s.

Hope this helps

View in thread

Message 8 of 15 (22,161 Views)

All Replies

EA DICE Team

Hey @cubsclaw could be a program that is stooping Origin to work as normal. Try to do a clean boot to see if that works or not. 

/Atic 

Message 2 of 15 (24,229 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i am having the same problem how do i clean boot?

Message 3 of 15 (22,704 Views)

Community Manager
Message 4 of 15 (22,338 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I’m having the same issue with every Origin game, when the game becomes playable it gets stuck.

already reinstalled Origin, cleaned cache and performed a clean boot.

Any other suggestions?

Message 5 of 15 (22,261 Views)

Community Manager

@horaciobp 

@horaciobp wrote:

I’m having the same issue with every Origin game, when the game becomes playable it gets stuck.

already reinstalled Origin, cleaned cache and performed a clean boot.

Any other suggestions?

When you say it gets stuck do you mean when you try to launch it from the Origin client?

Here are some things you can try:

1. Right-click on the game in Origin and select "Repair."
  2. Delete the Origin client and re-download/install the latest version here: https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/download
  3. Right-click on the Origin desktop shortcut and click "Run as Administrator."
  4. Add Origin and the specific games to your anti-virus exception list. More info: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/programs-that-may-cause-conflicts-with-origin/
Blueberry.png
Message 6 of 15 (22,200 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Stuck on the Preparing to Play.

Looking at the install log, it invokes the DirectX installation and don’t do anything after that. 

I closed Origin, installed the DirectX manually (from the __install folder). When I open Origin again the game is in a downloading state with 0b/s forever.

Message 7 of 15 (22,197 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Ok, I finally figured a solution out.

If your game is stuck in Preparing to Play, go to the folder of installation (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Anthem)

Double click on the "__Installer" folder and open the file InstallLog.txt.

The last lines on my file was:

22:10:50 Started DirectX Install Phase
22:10:50 Launching process:
Command: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Anthem\__Installer\directx\redist\dxsetup.exe" /silent
Working directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Anthem\__Installer\directx\redist\

Which means it invoked the process to install the Directx, now follow these steps:

1) Go to the Task Manager (ctrl+alt+del) and kill all the Origin process;

2) Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Anthem\__Installer\directx\redist\ and run the dxsetup.exe and follow the steps to install;

3) Now create a new folder (whatever name) and move every file except the .dll and .exe (a lot of videos shows only this process) to this new folder;

4) Open Origin again and after checking the game files the download is resumed;

5) When the message "Preparing to play" appears again, go back to the Task Manager and kill the DirectX SDK process;

After that it worked for me.

Just a note on step 3), I'm pretty sure that deleting any file in the folder should work, I just had to this because if I Open Origin after installing manually the DirectX it re-started downloading the game and it was stuck at 0b/s.

Hope this helps

Message 8 of 15 (22,162 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thanks horacibp, been having troubles with a number of games lately getting stuck and this seems to be the fix. Standard smile

Message 9 of 15 (21,997 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I did do the task manager and killing directx but all I did after was exit origin and then turn it back on and It worked 

Message 10 of 15 (19,969 Views)