Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Does H2H play end after the online services shutdown?

by Player_3d8i09vk

Original Post

Does H2H play end after the online services shutdown?

★★★★ Novice

I just read this announcement:

May 22, 2018

EA Access members, please note that we are removing EA SPORTS™ Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR® from the EA Access Vault on May 22. On this date, the game will no longer be available to download or play from the EA Access console app or the Xbox Store.

I just bought this title, and I bought it primarily for H2H play.  Please let me know:

1.  In the event of need, will I be able to re-download Rory McIlroy PGA TOUR® into my new Xbox One X which I bought primarily for this title?

2. Will simple H2H for unranked sessions be shut down as well?  These are games brokered between two players only so do not involve multiplayer tournament functionality.

I hope someone official who knows the answers to these two questions responds.  

Thank you, 

Noel

Message 1 of 17 (4,227 Views)

Re: Does H2H play end after the online services shutdown?

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@Player_3d8i09vk

No, the game will not be re-downloadable after that date.

My understanding is that all online play will be unavailable from that date onward.

Any offline mode will be unaffected.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a post Answers your question please click on Accept as Solution.
Thank players and help them 'Level Up' by giving them XP.
Thank you for sharing your gaming expertise with your fellow players!
Message 2 of 17 (4,412 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Thanks for your reply Barry. Ouch, my brother and I just bought this game and an XBOX One X to run it on. Why in God's name are they stopping H2H play amongst individuals which requires nothing but access to the server. If this is true this will be the last EA title I ever purchase, and will do everything I can to dissuade others from supporting the company. I'm 65y and my brother is 70y and we have been in heaven playing now for a grand total of a month. That they continue to sell this title, then chop its legs off is unbelievable. This is so disappointing I don't know what else to say beside this question: WHO at EA can I contact directly about this? I'm beyond pissed!
Message 3 of 17 (4,195 Views)

Community Manager

@Player_3d8i09vk

I am your direct contact with EA. I understand your disappointment and do sympathize with your situation and additionally I can pass on your sentiments.

We appreciate your feedback even when that happens to be negative.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 17 (4,191 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thank you Barry, let me see if I'm getting this correctly.  My brother and I talked about this in depth yesterday as we were playing our afternoon match.  Right now if I open Rory and choose Play > Head to Head > Unranked Session I can create a session and send one invite to my brother.  He accepts and we commence to playing a game together and that is it.  There are no stats, no integration w/ online tournaments, etc.  So all that is happening is we are connecting to the EA Servers as a way to connect to each other.  Of note, we set them up as invitations to Friends only, BUT...if we open to public, within seconds we will have others attempting to join a private match with us.  Tis of course tells us on no uncertain terms it's more than just he and I playing H2H together.

I want to be clear.  The announcement I initially referenced was aimed at 'EA Access'.  We purchased our copies as retail digital downloads--we don't belong to EA Access.  Are you certain Barry that for reasons we can't fathom EA will shut down server space May 22, not just the ability to play Rory THRU EA ACESS?  This is a critical distinction and our guess was that you are referring to EA Access only, not general brokered head to head play thru the associated server space,  Please investigate this distinction so we can be clear about it.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 17 (4,177 Views)

Community Manager

@Player_3d8i09vk

I'm awaiting confirmation on this. I will post again ASAP.

Message 6 of 17 (4,115 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Excellent, thank you Barry
Message 7 of 17 (4,112 Views)

★★★★ Novice

My guess is that you will still be able to play it online. It looks like it's only the EA Access stuff that's going to be shutdown. EA has already posted the list of games being shutdown on July 31st, no Rory or TW14 on that list.

Message 8 of 17 (4,105 Views)

Will I still able to update to the latest patch/version now?

★★★★ Novice

I understand that EA has shelved the Rory Mcilroy PGA Tour game as I tried to download it from PlayStation Store but found that it's not there anymore.

The only way for me to still get the game is to buy the physical disc copy. (For PS4.)

But I need to know, even though EA has "shelved" the game, will I still be able to update to the latest patch/version if i get the game and install through the game CD?

Thanks and appreciate any reply!

Message 9 of 17 (3,908 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Wilde, until the official response comes from Barry, can you direct me to 'the list of games being shutdown' if you will.  Thanks

Message 10 of 17 (4,032 Views)

fifa-19-promo-splash

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help