Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Thoughts on the future of Rangers

by hadrold

Original Post

Thoughts on the future of Rangers

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I chose ranger for my main, because it felt the most like a gunner class from the options available. I know that some people don't really want it to be a gun-based class, but I think it makes sense that in a shooter (with so very many guns), it only makes sense that there's at least one damage class that focuses a little more on them.

However, one initial problem I've had with Ranger is that for reasons that are unfathomable to me, there are several Masterwork bonuses that seem to want me to fight/kill things as melee. Why the concern with forcing a class that isn't an Interceptor to melee? There's an actual CLASS for that kind of build. Besides, even Interceptor melee needs a little work on the scaling to keep them from becoming gunners, let alone the dismal thing that is Ranger melee. Ranger melee is useful for one thing only: You found yourself nose to nose with something unfriendly and you need a fast attack or a quick prime to make it stunned/dead before you are. And for that, it totally makes sense in our kit. A series of buffs that require melee kills however, is laughable.

Not to mention that if you're running a freeze grenade, one of those bonuses won't even apply.

The situation is exacerbated by the fact that there isn't anything about the ranger that makes it better at anything than any other javelin. It's not the only class that can prime, or detonate effectively. The MW abilities are good primarily for pitiful attempts to mimic other classes, neither of which are worth doing (extended hovers/melee lead to waiting for a repair). So while there are a few tweaks needed for the other javelins as well, Ranger is definitely in the most need.

So my suggestion is to go ahead and make the rangers the unofficial gunner class. I think it would take away too much from the other classes if you made Rangers as superior at guns as Interceptors are at melee, or as Storms are at elemental attacks. Still, it's a simple matter to tweak the masterwork components to have gun-related bonuses.

A few quick examples of possible buffs:

% base impact damage buff after X number of consecutive weak point hits

% base recoil reduction buff after weapon kill

% base reload reduction buff after weapon small multi-kill (3 targets)

You could have all three of these buffs, and none of them would make the Ranger suddenly overpowered, or negate the other classes and their specialties. But it would provide relevant bonuses to all Ranger builds, as opposed to Melee kill triggers that are effectively useless. Give those to the Interceptors. Let the Ranger melee when he needs a quick primer attack, don't try to shoehorn it into regular use.

Message 1 of 5 (256 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@nt82777 wrote:

I chose ranger for my main, because it felt the most like a gunner class from the options available. I know that some people don't really want it to be a gun-based class, but I think it makes sense that in a shooter (with so very many guns), it only makes sense that there's at least one damage class that focuses a little more on them.

However, one initial problem I've had with Ranger is that for reasons that are unfathomable to me, there are several Masterwork bonuses that seem to want me to fight/kill things as melee. Why the concern with forcing a class that isn't an Interceptor to melee? There's an actual CLASS for that kind of build. Besides, even Interceptor melee needs a little work on the scaling to keep them from becoming gunners, let alone the dismal thing that is Ranger melee. Ranger melee is useful for one thing only: You found yourself nose to nose with something unfriendly and you need a fast attack or a quick prime to make it stunned/dead before you are. And for that, it totally makes sense in our kit. A series of buffs that require melee kills however, is laughable.

Not to mention that if you're running a freeze grenade, one of those bonuses won't even apply.

The situation is exacerbated by the fact that there isn't anything about the ranger that makes it better at anything than any other javelin. It's not the only class that can prime, or detonate effectively. The MW abilities are good primarily for pitiful attempts to mimic other classes, neither of which are worth doing (extended hovers/melee lead to waiting for a repair). So while there are a few tweaks needed for the other javelins as well, Ranger is definitely in the most need.

So my suggestion is to go ahead and make the rangers the unofficial gunner class. I think it would take away too much from the other classes if you made Rangers as superior at guns as Interceptors are at melee, or as Storms are at elemental attacks. Still, it's a simple matter to tweak the masterwork components to have gun-related bonuses.

A few quick examples of possible buffs:

% base impact damage buff after X number of consecutive weak point hits

% base recoil reduction buff after weapon kill

% base reload reduction buff after weapon small multi-kill (3 targets)

You could have all three of these buffs, and none of them would make the Ranger suddenly overpowered, or negate the other classes and their specialties. But it would provide relevant bonuses to all Ranger builds, as opposed to Melee kill triggers that are effectively useless. Give those to the Interceptors. Let the Ranger melee when he needs a quick primer attack, don't try to shoehorn it into regular use.

I'm going to have to disagree along with all the other regurgitated ideals on the whole gun-master like class for the Ranger. It's so lackluster. I understand the game has guns, that's fantastic, but it's like an FPS. IF it were I could understand that more.

All and all the ranger needs more damage output.

The masterworks are completely a wreck and need new mechanics/effects added to them.

My idea to make the components viable to making a jack of all trades like Ranger. One of which could focus on guns, or maybe one that increases the size of the AoE his grenades or blasts do, or increased hover time, or a component which makes him make an additional melee. Something so viable so it makes them competitive but doesn't take over the role of the other Javelins. Something that complements them and yet gives options to the ranger to be built a specific way. Like a blank state with possible that doesn't exceed in one role but can absolutely handle his own.

The whole identity of being a gun-master again is so lackluster and extremely boring sounding. What would be the point of having the abilities/gear, so you can prime so your teammates who are going to tear through everything else while you single down an enemy just spraying/sniping away? Can't get behind that idea.

I main the Ranger and want to see it excel and I don't think it will excel with this ideology.

Message 2 of 5 (225 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

There already is a superior gunner class and it is called interceptor . Triple dash to fill mag instantly , pulling off silly 1.7m crits .. They are the gunner class.. The main thing I want is for the components we have to work better.. If you're going to take melee damage then have it turn the melee attack into a detonator not a primer.. Why must we neuter our gun damage to make our boom booms better..To increase blast you need to lower impact is stupid. Right now my main spec is Ember Lance impact build.. I can use guns well and it's a powerful spec.. When I run 3 universals I can get my ticks of lance damage up to 20k each .. I do remember when people complained about rangers before early release the Dev Ben something did say energy lance was very good.. Maybe they put all of their ranger eggs into that basket..

Message 3 of 5 (219 Views)

★ Guide
You can use one component to gain +35 impact, -35 blast

Or the +50 blast -20 impact

Or combine both for +15 to both.

But you shouldn't be hurting no matter what you focus on (impact or blast)
Message 4 of 5 (214 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

I did comment on this in another post. I totally agree the ranger (the only javelin i have ever used) nedds almost a complete overhaul, his abilities take too long to cooldown and only inflict pitiful damage on any difficulty higher than hard and none of the guns ive used give him a slight chance at living upto his "jack of all trades title", all the other javelins could do his role so much better than him. His other down fall (his ult) whilst lockin on to targets is great must have come with a -100% damage buff cos its damage per rocket is less than pitiful, 10k damage each is really bad, to put it into perspective, a single masterwork devastator shot at the tyrant weakpoint can hit for over 100k without musterpoint, his ult can only manage around 140k at best. To fix him is simple. His ult lock on a fires a barrage that seek out enemies and deals damage directly to them, it also does damage in a small AoE, this ult ability is the way forward. Instead of using hand grenades have him use his missile pod and instead of a long cooldown for a single grenade, use charges that increase with the rarity of gear equipped, example:- common, uncommon = 1 charge, rare = 2 charges, epic, masterwork = 3 charges and legendary = 4 charges. These can be utiliised in 2 ways... First:- point at the enemy press the button, fires a single rocket at target enemy ( and only target enemy) inficting damage and applying any effects directly to that target. (No AoE damge). Second :- hold relevant button to consume more charges and lock on upto 4 enemies and fire 1 rocket at each enemy inflicting damage and applying any effects directly to thise enemies (again NO AoE damage). This is a more effective use of his rocket pod and allows him to hit more enemies than his grenade will allow. This method can also be utilised by his assault launcher, instead of pulse blast requiring a charge to fire a single shot that hits a single enemy, charge the shot a fire, after travelling a short distance it splits into smaller particles that seek out enemies along its flight path, hitting either a single target upto 4 times (again depending on charges) or 4 enemies one particle beam each. changing the way his abilities work and allowing him to multi-lock targets would make him far more effective and efficient when dealing damage as the different abilities seek out targets andamage them directly without the need for AoE. Some of his channeling skills like his ember could have a duration to it, instead of channelling to keep the damage have it deal the initial damage with a DoT effect instead.His gear needs a major over haul aswell, having 700% ult charge on a frag grenade fixes and limits his capabilities this should be utilised by a ranger specific component and not only apply to his LB but to his RB aswell but with a 400% buff instead of 700%. Increase his weapon damage component buff by upto 100% (depending on weapon type) instead of 25% and the materwork perk changed to, "weapon kills increase gear damage (LB and RB) 100% for 10 seconds " and have his "combo" component increased to 75 or even 100% instead of 50% and the perk changed to "combo kills restore 2 charges" (applied to LB or RB at random). Changing his abilities and his few components to these would mean the ranger wont need that much of a base damage buff except for his ult, his perk will buff his weapon, gear and combo damage significantly and combo kills will replenish charges which will enable to keep targeting n damaging enemies with weapons aswell as hjis abilities, the multi-lock function on his LB and RB means he can get multiple enemies consistantly regardless of where they are drastically increasing his dps as he can almost literally spam his lower damage output skills rapidly and guaranteeing mire than 1 target once fully charged

Message 5 of 5 (198 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help