Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Rangers need more oomph

by Achi11ies

Original Post

Rangers need more oomph

★★★★ Novice

I main the ranger. And lemme tell you. It's annoying to go into public missions and not be able to shoot anything because colossus and storm are clearing the battlefeild with all of they're AOE or hard hitting abilities. We need a bigger gun. Something to have on tap that can clear and area. And I dont mean grenades. The starter lightning blast storm has has twice the blast radius and effect as a frag, or any other grenades. Pair that with storms fireball ability and it doesnt even need a gun. Rangers arnt able to keep up with them ability wise. 

Message 1 of 26 (2,895 Views)

Re: Rangers need more oomph

★★★★ Novice

Ramgers aren't really made to be the AOE kings though. They shine at Single Target DPS i mean hell your combo bonus is an increased dmg to the target you detonated.

Message 2 of 26 (2,863 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I know that. And I'm not asking for them to BECOME aoe kings. But they need something to keep up with storms especially. Im talking Widen the blast radius on the grenades or blast missle and extend they're various effect or something like that. Because while rangers might have a combo x. Actually getting combos are way more difficult than they should be. 

Message 3 of 26 (2,834 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Ok , 

So I have mained a ranger . Haven't even touched the others (did in the demo) and OMG you're so right . I just hopped on my unlocked storm and the level 1 "Q"  is single tapping legendary's where I wouldn't even get through a shield with both of my gear attacks on the ranger.. My ranger for sure hits harder with those guns but the difference is kinda laughable. One thing I have noticed is you can't combo off shields.. Darts or fire to set up my own combos does nothing unless the shield is down , even then combos don't happen every time when they should.. Thou the storm just cuts them all to nothing .. I may have to change /sadface

Message 4 of 26 (2,761 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Yeah combo's are the main problem with this game right now.

The Storm can hit 1 button and chain a combo for X% of damage increase all day long. This is why they are currently melting everything. With rangers it's like "Well I have a freeze grenade and a blast missile that hits for 200 damage". Hrmm think I will just stick with the single target Pulse Cannon and Sticky Grenade.

Message 5 of 26 (2,757 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Rangers are supposed to be jack of all trades javelins. Yet they dont seem to be particularly effective at anything besides cleaning up smaller ads. Kinda thinking maybe they should have some new abilities. Maybe some kind of shared abilities from the other javelins? Not saying it should be able to throw fireballs like a storm or sheild bash it's way through a horde like colossus. But something to put it on the same level as everyone else.

And for those claiming that storm is a "glass cannon". My own storm is able to tank quite a few hits. Plus it's kinda hard to get shot when you've melted everything on the battlefeild before it had a chance to shoot you.

Message 6 of 26 (2,754 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I've been mixing it up today after messing with the storm and I found a combo that is working wonders for me so far. I am running venom darts and sticky nades. With the grenade speed comp the stickies are off cd fairly quick and combo very nicely off the poison. Not to mention the poison increases all damage so it's a boost to gun play also.

Message 7 of 26 (2,720 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I don't think rangers are supposed to be AoE at all. You are great at melting single targets, let others handle the trash.
I generally go with the Devastator to compensate for the lack of AoE, and two detonators to get the most out of my combo damage. You generally are there to just decimate HVTs - and due to the fact your melee is a primer (and the only javelin that has this feat) you can combo every 2s or so.
Message 8 of 26 (2,705 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I think that people who say that Blast Missle does 200 damage did not try it. That thing shreds. Equip 50% blast damage increase and do not equip impact damage increase one and you have single Blast Missle do damage that I could not imagine with Lightning thing from Storm.

It does not combo, but instead its damage is mental for a single ability.

And yes its tooltip shows something silly like 300 damage and when you use it it pops some silly small number, but in reality if you pay attention it totally chunks things far above that tooltip. I'd say it does damage on par with Devastator shot. 

Message 9 of 26 (2,696 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@Gaidax wrote:

I think that people who say that Blast Missle does 200 damage did not try it. That thing shreds. Equip 50% blast damage increase and do not equip impact damage increase one and you have single Blast Missle do damage that I could not imagine with Lightning thing from Storm.

It does not combo, but instead its damage is mental for a single ability.

And yes its tooltip shows something silly like 300 damage and when you use it it pops some silly small number, but in reality if you pay attention it totally chunks things far above that tooltip. I'd say it does damage on par with Devastator shot. 

I'm still low level. Just got a rare, 20, blast missle. Literally does 20 more damage than the uncommon 15 I was using before. Meanwhile the rare 20 seeker missle does 1057 damage....there something just not right there. And the blast missle AOE is garbage. I've literally hit a guy with It dead on that had two other guys within arm reach next to him and it didnt do ANY damage to them. It has NO blast radius. And that needs to change. 

Message 10 of 26 (2,625 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help