Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Make Ranger competitive.

by Liquidous_Flame

Original Post

Make Ranger competitive.

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I main a ranger. I played storm for a few mins to see all the damage people are talking about and its there. I just figured with the right stacking I could get my single target up where I wanted it..It seems you can't get there unless you got god rolls on items. I have decent gear. When not stacking comps I think around 490ish with some good inscriptions and my single target is still very weak. Best I have been able to muster is 44k crits.. You might think that is good until you watch a video of something running a "1 shot build" https://youtu.be/qlV1skaFk0A . In GM1 they can aoe down elites , faster than I can take out one. My biggest problem is I like gun play and storm is more caster than anything... 

Even stacking comps doesn't help much. Did you know you can use two of the same comps one masterwork , one epic? You would think with 25% damage to all guns and 25% all gun base would be huge , it's not. You would think 50% blast damage Victor's Resolve with another 50% base blast damage from Crossed arms would make nades and blast missile (and dev snipers) really shine.. It doesn't.. I will still run my ranger , might get some better rolls but damn we need something.

I think the issue is in the bonuses. 35% of base sounds big until you realize base damage is 200.. Wow thanks for adding 70 damage to my attack ;D . When I remove the gun bonus comps I took a marksman gun out to test. freeplay out to where brutes spawn nearly every run .. 439 body shots.. Go put both gun boosting comps on , 609 body shots.. When you are a jav with lack luster abilities you should be pushing gun damage better than that.

Message 1 of 34 (2,015 Views)

Re: Make Ranger competitive.

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Well, I can suggest one thing - stack Impact damage too, it also buffs gun damage (except for Devastator because that one is blast damage).

I am running with 220% Shotgun/Physical/Impact damage from gear + another 85% impact from inscriptions and that double weapon inscription for +50% weapon damage. Adding to the mix Papa Pump shotgun with another 200% it has and at the moment I am doing like 4k weak point hits with each pellet and you have like 8 or something like that per single shot.

If you take that video you linked, I would absolutely and easily out-damage that guy single target, simply because I do same damage with single shotgun shot like his lightning, but I can shoot that thing at 75 RPM, so about 1 shot per a bit less than a second.

Now, that said, I really love what he did there because all in all I do want my abilities to do damage and my MW Pulse Blast which I mostly equip for global +Impact/+Physical damage it rolled does something like 25k damage at best day if I aim it at weak spot, that's like nothing to * I do with shotgun, so I mostly use it when I need some reach or take out shielded flyer.

So to sum it up, Ranger does have some very powerful unique bonus - we are only ones who can stack weapon AND impact damage bonuses through the wazoo and gun damage is actually impact damage, so I expect once things are fixed that Rangers will be easily best gunners (currently you have various bs like storms exploiting some bugs to show gun numbers, these will be fixed)..

Message 2 of 34 (1,670 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Honestly they need to do something. The "Jack of all Trades" just doesn't cut it in this game. They should just make this class a strong support class if they don't want another dps type. Make Bulwark useful (seriously it melts in 2 seconds give it more hps) and put more group armor healing/shield recharge procs on Ranger gear pieces. At least this way if a Rangers dps is bad it's made up for by its group utility.

Message 3 of 34 (1,984 Views)

★★★★ Novice
For some reason my previous reply got removed, so I will make it short.

Ranger can uniquely stack Impact/Blast AND Weapon damage, I am pretty sure eventually when all the broken nonsense like Gunslinger Mark bug for Storm giving infinite damage stacks (the source of all these videos for hundreds and even million damage weapon hits) gets fixed, Ranger will likely end up being best at gunning things down.

For reference - Impact increases most guns damage.
Message 4 of 34 (1,916 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

tottaly agree with TS, for example let's think about ult damage - with my storm around 460 GS i can almost kill that big yellow guy with big shield and all others mobs in some radius, witn my ranger's (almost same GS) ult for single target I can only melt scar snipers blue line!!! 0_0 really ?

Message 5 of 34 (1,882 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@Gaidax  Yes we can stack blast and or impact. When you stack both you have to cut the bonus of the other and end up with something like 20% for each. As of right now my hardest hitting weapon is the MW devastator . To hit high with that gun you have to only stack blast which in turn cuts impact making the majority of your gun shots weaker. I currently run both 25%gun boosting comps . The Mw version and the epic 25% which only boosts base. It's just a bit annoying when you are running gm2 and working on an npc and one of your group walks over and finishes off the last 25% hp in a shot and you had been working  it for 20 seconds already :D

We will see how it pans out once they get the bugs fixed . I wish there was a place to see what things are suppose to be doing rather than guessing. Like with you get a piece of gear with gear damage should it be working for both gear slots because right now it only works for one. Which inscriptions work for all items which ones for only the item they are on.. Does Crit damage work for the full jav or only the blast rocket I have it on..

Guess my post was more for the devs to see people are not happy with the current state of the class than any particular thing. There is a much better post on the subject in this subforum I just wanted another one here :D

Message 6 of 34 (1,869 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Well you don't really stack both. You choose one and focus on it.

For example I have blast loadout and impact loadout.

And yeah, it's not as amazing as what Storm can do, but they do use a known bug with their component to inflate damage crazy.
Message 7 of 34 (1,864 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I know , I too have stack builds for both and yet the damage is very wanting.. If you check the bug forums you will see I was able to bug the ranger out to use storm spells. I still have that bugged build , it has power lvl 28 lighting and power 26 ice , thats all I had at the time.. My damage with those weak spells is as good as my regular build using the best I have. 7k nearly spamable fire AOE that is combo central from the aoe frost. I didn't even have the elemental comp on or the fire damage ones. 

I just think we need some tuning is all.. 

Here's to hoping :D

Message 8 of 34 (1,831 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Considering I am doing 35k+ AoE and 110k+ weak hits with Truth of Tarsis (Devastator) and about 40k with my grenade, I'd say you can get some numbers up too. ToT even sets off combos, while at it.

Ranger does have some ridiculous weapon stacking options that start to show once your build is starting to align. Storm can still get abilities like Lightning strike to go well into 60k, but most simply abuse infinite stacking damage buff from Gunslinger's Mark to do like 200k+ per bullet from a specific pistol.

I think that quite a bunch of abilities Ranger has need a good buff, like Blast Missile, they fixed it to have/do correct damage, but that correct damage is pretty terrible. For me it's like 9-15k, which is a total fluff when I shoot my weapon for 35-110k AoE.

Message 9 of 34 (1,783 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Here's video of what I do with my build and it's an old one, I got new build based on that that also combos and ults like mad, while keeping same sniping.

https://youtu.be/M4Gg5YH0iKM

So, it's not that horrible far off really, I don't feel that weak there.
Message 10 of 34 (1,754 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help