Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Make Ranger competitive.

by Voiddq

Original Post

Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

Ranger IS the king of single target damage. I have yet to see anyone (in a different Javelin) who would do even remotely close to my combo damage as well. With Pulse Blast I can oneshot all elite shields in GM1, twoshot most shields in GM2 (with ~2.5s cooldown). Or I can run Blast Missile and do easily ~75k damage a shot against the spider boss for example. Not to mention that every time I detonate with my E (or Q) I can replenish 40% HP to myself and everyone around me. 

These are just few examples of why the class is very much competitive already and doesn't need any major changes or buffs.

The support abilities on the other hand, namely Bulwark, need some work. Bulwark should simply be immune to damage for the first 5 seconds after casting it to guarantee a safe revive at least.

Message 21 of 34 (550 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

What on earth are you running? Any chance of screeny on stack?

Message 22 of 34 (523 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@Voiddq wrote:

Ranger IS the king of single target damage. I have yet to see anyone (in a different Javelin) who would do even remotely close to my combo damage as well. With Pulse Blast I can oneshot all elite shields in GM1, twoshot most shields in GM2 (with ~2.5s cooldown). Or I can run Blast Missile and do easily ~75k damage a shot against the spider boss for example. Not to mention that every time I detonate with my E (or Q) I can replenish 40% HP to myself and everyone around me. 

These are just few examples of why the class is very much competitive already and doesn't need any major changes or buffs.

The support abilities on the other hand, namely Bulwark, need some work. Bulwark should simply be immune to damage for the first 5 seconds after casting it to guarantee a safe revive at least.

Argo's Mace damage was patched like a week ago.  I would be very curious to know how you still hit 75k.  Considering I don't hit half that, but have 335% worth of stats that increase it's damage.  I am assuming you're hitting the "super weak point" (points after "sack" pops), but then...75k is very underwhelming as this spot provides around a 5x's damage increase.  This is why I'm always confused when people say that ranger is the king of single target dps post patch, cause I put out comparable single target (it's actually aoe, but talking about a single target) damage via Storm skills, with less overall inscription bonuses.  The reason for this is rather simple, Storm has greater access to power multipliers and Ranger's combo bonus, doesn't overcome that.

Message 23 of 34 (522 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

As a quick counter to "ranger is the king of single target damage"

I present to you , a dash happy interceptor..https://youtu.be/TeS_lSWgjpA

I did recently get a new spark beam with 225% damage and I am getting 15k ticks.. Thing does melt some metal.

Message 24 of 34 (499 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I agree Ranger needs some serious love . Bulwark is Useless . Spark beam should Prime and Rangers should be a little Tankier . It just feels like the Ranger is seriously underpowered compared to the other classes . we should have more utility if the Ranger class isn't going to be the main single target Damage Dealer . 

Message 25 of 34 (490 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Seems like you don't know what others are capable of.
King of Single Target? That would be Interceptor and to add insult to injury - they do it with guns.
Message 26 of 34 (481 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@Liquidous_Flame wrote:

As a quick counter to "ranger is the king of single target damage"

I present to you , a dash happy interceptor..https://youtu.be/TeS_lSWgjpA

I did recently get a new spark beam with 225% damage and I am getting 15k ticks.. Thing does melt some metal.

I see your video and raise you https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/avo8n6/123mio_sniper_shot_sniperceptor/

Yes, this is legitimately an interceptor hitting 1.2 million with a ToT.  Granted this is a "super weak point" of the boss, which is a considerable modifier in it's own right.  I believe 5x's is the current estimate(which is also where I think guys 75k blast missle figure came from too).  But it's still mind boggling to see such a large number. Tongue out  I have heard of Rangers hitting comparable damage though for what it's worth, but have yet to see visual evidence of it.  I would imagine it's possible though with some godly rolls, but I don't have the kinda luck needed to see for myself xD.

Message 27 of 34 (461 Views)

★★ Guide

Ranger definitely needs some love. 

I only play Colossus and Storm now because both can combo everything away. 

Message 28 of 34 (412 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I have been having a lot of fun on this build, utilizing venom darts and sticky grenade.  (build is listed in the video description)

I am up to GM2 right now in stronghold clears, working on no death runs.  One good thing about Ranger for the final boss in the Temple of Scar, their blast damage can instigate a perma-stun on the boss.  Each fan cycle a Ranger can run in with blast damage and hit the metal plate in front of the boss's head. 

In addition, I find that the Tip of the Spear mod is crucial in group play in the later GM tiers.  This is due to the rez function, and not having a cast time.  You can lob the sticky grenade out, and run your javelin near the downed player(s) and rez them all at once when the combo detonates. 

Message 29 of 34 (341 Views)

★★★★ Novice

The ranger is and should stay as a well balance " jack of all trades"  essentially aspects of the other 3 javelins rolled into 1. Combining high mobilty of the interceptor and the high armor and shield of the collosus with the firepower of the storm and the increased weapon power from his component gives the ranger the ability to fight in close quarter battles alongside the collosus or deal range damage in AoE effects like the storm with the high mobility to move quickly around the area similar to that of the interceptor. Problem is his armor/weak making him incapable of reliably fighting in close quarters, almost all his abilities are single target with pathetically low damage and his AoE grenades dont have high enough AoE range to hit more than 1 or 2 enemies unless you manage to hit a spawn point before the enemy has a chance to move and takes a long time to cooldown, add to this his inability to deal effective damage and almost an entire masterwork loadout of completely pointless perks that dont in anyway complement his role means the ranger on higher difficulties GM 1+ would be best left at the fort. His single target abilities are another disappointment, dealing pitiful damage to even the weakest of enemies is another great disaster for the Ranger. Some of his gear like venom darts doesnt have a long cooldown for a single shot, instead it uses charges, 3 that can be fired consecutively, each charge fires 3 darts at target enemy and can inflict vulnerability. I think the ranger would be much more efficient if they were to combine the multi-target lock of his ult with "charge" that the venom darts have allowing him to direct his attack at single target or charge to inrease the number of rockets fired to affect multiple targets or all his abilities to naturally target multiple enemies and charge to increase damage AoE or other effects. All of his abilities and weapon like assault rifle lighmachine gun will definitely need a better perk and damage buff, both of these weapons would make the ranger a lot more reliable in close combat but dont deal nowhere near enough damage compared to other guns, but other more powerful guns have very low mag cpacilty so you spend more time reloading and less time dealing damage. Improvements i think will make him better is to improve his armor and shield so he take more damage, his mobility is ok no need for change there except maybe a slightly less delay on his dodge ability, his abilities- instead of single target attacks, make him multi-target aswell and instead of waiting for long cooldowns for a single shot, use charges so that you can fire a single shot at 1 enemy or charge fire more rockets rockets at multiple enemies. These charges can applied in 2 ways, 1. Each gear piece has a set number of charges or 2. Quanity of Charges are related to the rarity of the gear, common/uncommon=1 charge, rare =2 charges, epic/masterwork= 3 charges and legendary= 4 charges. I have a few ideas for almost all his gear that i thing will drastically inprove not just his damage but how he distributes it with his different gear and how charges would effect them along with 2-3 unique ranger components that would drastically improve his "jack of all trades" title without the need for massive base damage buffs, just changing him from a single target to multi-target by simply charging or multi-targed abilities that when charged deal more direct damage and allow to fire extra munitions as more charges are consumed with perks the do him justice like the other javelins have will make him so much better in dealing higher damage to single target or his multi-target lock will ensure hes hitting a lot more targets efficiently without the need for AoE. Max charge time for most abilities will need to be equal to that of the current "blast pulse" so you not wasting too much time charging and effective use of charges to ensure abilities are always available as ranger even with increased recharge speed can take fair bit of time to charge. Will post my ideas for all his abilities along with perks and charge effects and a few of his components in another post.

Message 30 of 34 (296 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help