Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: End Game Ranger Build Advice Needed Please

by cardinalsrex

Original Post

★★★ Apprentice

@STYGIAN-SIX wrote:
Rangers are good early on they provide good damage and have decent survival in the early game. This is very misleading as you transition into end game.

At end game you will not out single target damage any other class and you have no AoE damge.

You may out survive your fellow compatriots in end game activities, not because you are tankier, but because your not. You don't have the armor pool of the Colossus and you don't get additional shield bonus of the Storm. However, if you load you components right you can get enough shield as to not get one shot. So Ranger's appear to have more survivability but in reality they don't. It is rather they don't get over confident with their Armor Bonus as the Colossus or Shield bonus as the Storm. Rangers survive because the use COVER. They hide behind walls, rocks, trees, etc. They don't stand out in the open.

Rangers don't excel at anything. They are not the best single target, they have no AOE, your combo damage is * unless you hit a weak point, your weapons don't hit any harder than any other class, your melee is week.

Your end game Master Craft components provide very little benefit, sometimes none at all.

I just run the ranger as a utility build.. primer.

Assault Launcher: Tactical Onslaught (Venom Darts): Adds an extra charge to venom darts with a little extra acid damage. Good to prime targets for other group members.

Grenade: Explosive Blaze (Inferno Grenade) Explodes Twice, once on impact, once more if you set at least two enemy on fire. Fire status primer.

So I just run around priming enemy, and jetting in and out of cover.

I keep Bulwark Shield on hand, it may not last long in Grandmaster, but long enough to raise a fallen teammate.

There is some dev chatter talking about turning the Ranger into the the enemy shield breaker class. Pulse Blast is to penetrate Enemy Shields. Which is good and bad. Its good as Shield penetrator, but bad because it will be the only Assault Launcher ability used then.

It realy needs to be a component rather than a gear piece as to not take away from Assault Launcher or Grenade. It would only take up one of the Six component slots.

If that be the case and the devs head down the Ranger being the best single target shield breaker it might be worth bulding an all out single target shield breaker damage build, but that is not in game yet.

So right now, I would suggest making a primer build, helps out your dps, greatly improves group dps.

Would you quit with this nonsensical garbage? Rangers are phenomenal in late game. I run GM3 and have to carry games. Stop spreading misinformation. No one else can continue to prime and combo after combo after combo with recurring vengeance. Please stop spreading your useless garbage.

Message 11 of 20 (360 Views)

★★ Guide

Yeah lol, the ranger is by far the strongest class, with both shield and armor regen abilitys and infinite combos with recurring vengeance. you are one hard javelin to kill if you just play it right.

Message 12 of 20 (317 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

Yes plz dont listen to any of those earlier posts, ranger is amazing for single target damage on elites, I find impact much better for shielded opponents and blast amazing for armored. And ranger has best survivability of all the classes except maybe interceptor,  once u get MW versions of gear, I'd use last argument/recurring vengeance, with either elemental ops component or a ralners/siege breaker to prime with melee. Btw if u want more AOE damage go blast, more single target impact if not just for ultimate alone.

Message 13 of 20 (295 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

As well as criticising those who call it weak - would a few of you mind posting the items you use (weapons, gear and components) and rotations so that us amateur rangers may benefit?

I know it will take a sec to do the writeups but it will help a lot Standard smile.

Message 14 of 20 (266 Views)

★★★★ Newbie

I just want to tell you. That i've only used the ranger since i started playing a couple weeks after the game was released. You pretty much have to use what the game gives you and work with it. Yes it wasnt alway the greatest. Until you start getting legendary drops. One of my first ones was a machine pistol.. So disappointing lol. Thought they were so dumb. But this pistol gave me 95% armor max and 65% shield max. I kept equiped just for that. It help me to gey on gm3 much faster and survive.Yet i still sucked. Nothing special. The only thing i had going was combos. Most of my game play was helping to kill stuff lol. But usally changing things up getting better components grenades. I grind for sure. But you know that pistol i never really used that much acept for its buffs. Ended up being a key weapon that i started killing with all the time. I would apply acid with it through elemental ops. And combo with a sticky granade. Rinse and repeat. Gaining armor back for me and my team each combo did. Alays building my ultimat really fast with other components j have. And using it on groups to help thin it out if it was to heavy. Or on single targets. Most of the time on the pesky shielded scars after i depleted their shields with the gambit and pulse blast. Both detonaters to my acid bullits btw. And kill them with my ultimate. The ranger is without a doubt the best javalin for team support and doing some crazy damage quick. Like befor the interceptor can even get to them quick. Shoot throw dead. Shoot throw dead. Ultimate. Over and over terring it up. In the middle of it all. Some times even staying in the air most of the time. Whenever my thrusters were about to over heat i would get my ultimate. And stay in the air. And then do it again. While helping keep my team alive and killing lots of enemies. Oh and dont forget to dodge.

Message 15 of 20 (230 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Missing Focused Freeze component as it's not currently in the builder. Gives 30% to Light MG damage and ammo and on a 10 hit streak freezes the target. 

Fun build that you mainly play as a melee with the ability to back off if you have to and still put out nice damage. Primes with melee of course, 5 hits from either gun will Acid prime, 10 from the LMG freezes. Prime and rock the combo's. Can change out the pistol for a shotgun as they will insta-prime Acid on an unshielded target if at least 5 pellets hit if you prefer.Rolling Carn. works well as you should be dashing constantly, or a Radiant Fortress if you don't mind the hold release to fire mechanic to repair shields on top of the mace repairing shields. 

This build will build ultimate charge so fast it makes your head spin.  Wink

Just my two cents worth.

(some component descriptions are incorrect like Vanguard restoring shields on kill, actually restores on hit)

https://javelinbuilds.com/editor/JACACNACSACHWBFWBKCCUCCXCAOCDACDB

Message 16 of 20 (206 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Meant to also state that for both gear pieces on the build I submitted need to have 100% charges to make it truly shine.

Message 17 of 20 (200 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I main a storm, but started playing my Ranger the past few weeks and I am having a blast with him. I think for GM2+, having abilities that can combo off each other is extremely beneficial and makes enemies so much easier to take down. I run with 2 primers and 2 detonators.

I prime with either my shock mace or Ralner's blaze and then detonate with Last Argument (Frag Grenade) and Recurring Vengeance (Seeker Missle). Recurring Vengeance has +200% gear charges on it (Still searching for Last Argument w\+ charges on it)  and I use the Gear Speed consumable (along with Armor & Combo). This allows me to jump\fly attack at an enemy\prime them then quickly blast them in the face with a missile (or if in a group a grenade) to put them down. For Scar heavies prime with Ralner's, then grenade (or missile) and repeat, 2-3 cycles of this (which is pretty quick) and they are down. Big thing about Ranger (at least this build) is that you got to move around the battlefield, striking\taking out enemies or a small group and then off to the next target.

I have not found any enemy yet that I cannot take down. Most annoying might be Valkyries, but you use missle\gun to strip their shield (or jump into them and shock mace them) until shield is down, prime them with gun and grende\missle\mace them into oblivion, and of course you have your ultimate to concentrate on any hard to take out an enemy. One thing I noticed about shock mace is that if you press the attack and an enemy moves a little it will re-target you to that enemy, which is very helpful.

It is an extremely efficient and fun build. I use my 2nd gun as a stat stick (armor, gear speed, gear\all damage). I recently got a Last Argument with like 220% damage on it and tried it out a bit, but I found it to be not as useful as the one I have with gear charges on it. For prime\detonate spam the more gear charges, the better (can't wait until that new MW), being able to spam 5-6 missiles is incredible. prime\missle\dead, move to the next one.

Message 18 of 20 (56 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Big thing is type of play.  Personally I am using a high Ultimate CD, high durabilty, high survivability and a focus on resistances

I am a close to melee range Ranger.  I use two MachPistols.  Keys stats 235% armor and 75% shields.  +25% grenade CD. 

Toying around with R.Blaze also.  For the added combo opportunity.  Thinking of shifting things to get more offense and I have a feedback loop with 95% shields and a junk grenade launcher dmg boost ...smh.

I use last argument and I have  100% CD through gear.  I use the Assault component that boost Ults.  I use Ults as part of the offensive onslaught instead on letting it get dusty

Recurring Vengeance x2 for plenty of combos

Heavy focus on survivability through gear and melee returns shields, combos return armor.  I sustain well in front lines and I pick up a lot of attention with melee.  I like tank mobs as best I can for the team

The more aggressive the better and the mindset of never thinking about the swim back will serve you well.  Aggression and a speedy pace equals survivability and best offense for my build.  

Happy hunting and godspeed

Message 19 of 20 (33 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Wow..i just saw this thread and i was thinking how incredibly naive people can be. Why is it that people that dont play a certain Jav feel the need to give advice on it.

774 Ranger...I RULE anywhere i want to go

All my Jav`s are over 700 and i prefer the Ranger...BEST all around Jav in the Game

Message 20 of 20 (19 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help