Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

End Game Ranger Build Advice Needed Please

by Magnificent_Merv

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

End Game Ranger Build Advice Needed Please

★★★★ Novice

I have been maining an interceptor, but am struggling with GM difficulty. Not a fan of the Storm or Colossus and have read that the Ranger is good endgame.

I'm looking for tips and advice from those using Rangers end game on what gear to use. Please impart thy wisdom.

Message 1 of 20 (2,692 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: End Game Ranger Build Advice Needed Please

★★★★ Novice
Rangers are good early on they provide good damage and have decent survival in the early game. This is very misleading as you transition into end game.

At end game you will not out single target damage any other class and you have no AoE damge.

You may out survive your fellow compatriots in end game activities, not because you are tankier, but because your not. You don't have the armor pool of the Colossus and you don't get additional shield bonus of the Storm. However, if you load you components right you can get enough shield as to not get one shot. So Ranger's appear to have more survivability but in reality they don't. It is rather they don't get over confident with their Armor Bonus as the Colossus or Shield bonus as the Storm. Rangers survive because the use COVER. They hide behind walls, rocks, trees, etc. They don't stand out in the open.

Rangers don't excel at anything. They are not the best single target, they have no AOE, your combo damage is * unless you hit a weak point, your weapons don't hit any harder than any other class, your melee is week.

Your end game Master Craft components provide very little benefit, sometimes none at all.

I just run the ranger as a utility build.. primer.

Assault Launcher: Tactical Onslaught (Venom Darts): Adds an extra charge to venom darts with a little extra acid damage. Good to prime targets for other group members.

Grenade: Explosive Blaze (Inferno Grenade) Explodes Twice, once on impact, once more if you set at least two enemy on fire. Fire status primer.

So I just run around priming enemy, and jetting in and out of cover.

I keep Bulwark Shield on hand, it may not last long in Grandmaster, but long enough to raise a fallen teammate.

There is some dev chatter talking about turning the Ranger into the the enemy shield breaker class. Pulse Blast is to penetrate Enemy Shields. Which is good and bad. Its good as Shield penetrator, but bad because it will be the only Assault Launcher ability used then.

It realy needs to be a component rather than a gear piece as to not take away from Assault Launcher or Grenade. It would only take up one of the Six component slots.

If that be the case and the devs head down the Ranger being the best single target shield breaker it might be worth bulding an all out single target shield breaker damage build, but that is not in game yet.

So right now, I would suggest making a primer build, helps out your dps, greatly improves group dps.

View in thread

Message 5 of 20 (2,526 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Apprentice

Sadly I’ve been reading that Ranger is not much better at endgame either :/ which is sad because I want to mostly main a ranger

Message 2 of 20 (2,637 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@BlackMistRuecian wrote:

Sadly I’ve been reading that Ranger is not much better at endgame either :/ which is sad because I want to mostly main a ranger

I honestly feel all the javelins are struggling end game in terms to damage being taken.  Colossus seems to handle it better, but requires the right inscriptions.  Storms does good damage, but squishy, interceptor seems to just be a support role right now, maybe the buffs with patch will fix that.  Ranger, not sure...

Message 3 of 20 (2,628 Views)

★★★★ Novice

From my experience and comments made in other posts, the ranger seems a good bet in grandmaster. Certainly, when I have been playing as interceptor or colossus, the Rangers survive best/go down the least and appear to be contributing well.

I tried out a basic ranger build last night on hard. Not optimized at all, and he survived far better solo than the interceptor, but was just not as fun. It seems to be the higher shields that make a big difference. I had to rely on guns far more than any other class, but seemed to work in my favour. I was able to clear caves/dungeons solo with ease, with a totally random un-optimized build on the ranger; where with the interceptor it is a life and death struggle the whole time. One mistake and I'm dead, or very close to it. That can be exciting, but also frustrating.

What I found disappointing was the combo damage, which I assumed would be beast, as the whole point of the ranger combo is high single target dps; however either the flame grenade or frost grenade combo'd with pulse blast seems to do poor damage even on hard, let alone grandmaster.

Message 4 of 20 (2,597 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Rangers are good early on they provide good damage and have decent survival in the early game. This is very misleading as you transition into end game.

At end game you will not out single target damage any other class and you have no AoE damge.

You may out survive your fellow compatriots in end game activities, not because you are tankier, but because your not. You don't have the armor pool of the Colossus and you don't get additional shield bonus of the Storm. However, if you load you components right you can get enough shield as to not get one shot. So Ranger's appear to have more survivability but in reality they don't. It is rather they don't get over confident with their Armor Bonus as the Colossus or Shield bonus as the Storm. Rangers survive because the use COVER. They hide behind walls, rocks, trees, etc. They don't stand out in the open.

Rangers don't excel at anything. They are not the best single target, they have no AOE, your combo damage is * unless you hit a weak point, your weapons don't hit any harder than any other class, your melee is week.

Your end game Master Craft components provide very little benefit, sometimes none at all.

I just run the ranger as a utility build.. primer.

Assault Launcher: Tactical Onslaught (Venom Darts): Adds an extra charge to venom darts with a little extra acid damage. Good to prime targets for other group members.

Grenade: Explosive Blaze (Inferno Grenade) Explodes Twice, once on impact, once more if you set at least two enemy on fire. Fire status primer.

So I just run around priming enemy, and jetting in and out of cover.

I keep Bulwark Shield on hand, it may not last long in Grandmaster, but long enough to raise a fallen teammate.

There is some dev chatter talking about turning the Ranger into the the enemy shield breaker class. Pulse Blast is to penetrate Enemy Shields. Which is good and bad. Its good as Shield penetrator, but bad because it will be the only Assault Launcher ability used then.

It realy needs to be a component rather than a gear piece as to not take away from Assault Launcher or Grenade. It would only take up one of the Six component slots.

If that be the case and the devs head down the Ranger being the best single target shield breaker it might be worth bulding an all out single target shield breaker damage build, but that is not in game yet.

So right now, I would suggest making a primer build, helps out your dps, greatly improves group dps.
Message 5 of 20 (2,527 Views)

★ Guide

I have learned that if you don't have the top notch gear for your level, you will suffer for it.

I currently got my Ranger to Rare and i am level 20 and since my Ranger has no Priming or Triggering Combos, it is very.........problematic to face tougher enemies on any difficulty above Easy.

On my interceptor however, since i can use Acid Grenade to prime the target(s) and use my melee ability to trigger the combo and it helps ALOT against tougher enemies and even the Interceptor can't handle Normal the enemy Javelins have too much shields and can target me through walls, rocks, when i can't .....so that needs looking into.

Either way, if you have friends you play this game with, then you should be fine, but if you solo most of the time like me, i stick with my Interceptor since it can prime and trigger the combos, the Ranger can't when you first unlock it and even the Storm can't do both right away and in this game, if you can't prime AND trigger the combos, you will suffer greatly.

If you have friends, you will be good as you loot your gear and unlock crafting blueprints.

When it goes live, i plan to start from scratch and play with my brother, so that should help me with the difficulties, but anyone solo, this game will be difficult for you....sadly.

Message 6 of 20 (2,482 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@OP What kind of damage do you want? 

First thing I have in all my builds is the ranger comp that gives 25% more gun damage. Then i make sure I have the right comp for what else I am adding.. If I am going to run a Dev sniper(aoe sniper) then I make sure I also am running the 50% more blast damage comp. 30k weak point hits are not uncommon. Add venom darts and sticky nades for more bang.. Blast damage , remember :D ..

Also note that at cap lvl 36 comps give 509(or close) armor and shield. Once you get masterwork they net you just over 2k armor and shield so just one is equal to 4 of the level capped comps.. Get a few and you will see a big improvement.

If you get your hands on the masterworks blastback(don't know it's name offhand) you keep those above comps and also add in as much heat  or thruster bonus you can.. Muster shield + that gun + 25% gun damage + hover will give you over 20k spam weak point hits..

Ranger can pump out some damage , it's just harder to get there without building properly .

Also on a side not , never use shield or armor components. They give heavy one stat shield or armor (1000 ish at 36). If you run both thats 1.2k armor/shield but when you run range specific comps they give 509 each stat which will give you 1018 armor and shield for 2 items + the better bonus

One more note , that dev sniper with blast damage has a very good blast radius. Areas like Mines final boss , it rips through the spawned bugs while the boss is hiding..

Message 7 of 20 (2,367 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Ranger is pretty weak really.

Ranger ult is simply bad (on top of not even detonating combos, which is a bug), but even without it - the damage is simply lame unless you stack Blast Damage, but Rangers barely can even use Blast Damage, even if you stack it hard your grenades/blast missile will do some measly 20k or so damage which makes enemies giggle even in GM1.

So you basically have to use Devastator, which is ok, but pales in comparison to what Storm/Colossus can do.

I am now using impact build, where I simply stack weapon damage and impact modifiers (which also buff non-explosive weapons) and it fares a bit better, at least I am starting to do some nice damage, but this build has like 0 AoE and it's all about guns. Abilities/Combos and Ultimate with this build do abysmal damage - my strongest ability does less damage than one shot from my shotgun does and I mainly just use it to poke things outside my effective weapon range.

Ranger is not flashy to begin with, but with this build, it's simply boring. Like initially action is cool you run around shoot things, but... you basically just do that.
Message 8 of 20 (2,378 Views)

★★★★ Newbie

May sound weird, but I build my ranger like a dps tank...masterworks made a huge difference for end game on gm 1 I feel like I'm strolling through a meadow receiving tickles lol...but every thing I do gives me health..I can post my build for components

Message 9 of 20 (1,782 Views)

★ Apprentice

Most of the Answers here are... Unacceptable.

I Main Ranger at 774.

I can solo any GM3 Stronghold,

I survive every single attack, My shields barely go down a 3rd from GM3 Scar boss and gm3 monitor takes about 1 quarter of my shield, cant remember tyrant think he still 2 shots me.

A scar legendary scout can one shot me, but they never do, because you need to know how to time and use your dodge function. rockets never hit = thanks to dodge and timing.

My ultimate does over 160k dmg per rocket.

Please don't listen to ANYONE who says ranger is weak, only good for utility, any of that nonsense.

If you learn to play right, use your dodge and thrusters right you can take on anything and out play any class unless they are on YOUR level as the player.

The only weak ranger, is a player who doesn't know how to play it.

Your build helps with Power, utility and synergy and plays a big roll in endgame damage capabilities.

But it does not depict your strength, you do.

Message 10 of 20 (1,726 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help