The fall guys: why big multiplayer games almost always collapse at launch

by lookinin

Original Post

The fall guys: why big multiplayer games almost always collapse at launch

★★ Guide

Hi,

I just want to share this article I read today in The Guardian. It provides some insight into  the various challenges developers face when creating and maintaining an online multiplayer game. 

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/aug/27/multiplayer-games-collapse-at-launch-mediatonic-fall-g...

As much as I try to understand the developer side of a game, it's completely opaque to me. I figure the more we learn and understand about that aspect of a game, the better questions we can ask or problems we can present. And in turn we'll get better answers and solutions. 

I'm glad to see so much new participation in the forums. 

Regards to all.

Message 1 of 6 (643 Views)

Re: The fall guys: why big multiplayer games almost always collapse at launch

★★★★ Expert
@lookinin Thank you for sharing this with us. I know the dev's work is way more complicated than we can imagine and I like to give them credit when they do something right. However, I'm puzzled why other dev teams seem to have less problems in this current situation. Popcap has been very quiet lately, which is not good. Even showing presence by maybe commenting here on the forums for once would greatly improve the community's mood and opinion of their work.
Message 2 of 6 (595 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Very interesting article. Some of this I had guessed at already, especially after playing not only online shooters, but also MMOs for years. There are a lot of variables involved in even getting the games to run decently in the first place, add some network outages, DDoS attacks, and other such external problems and things can go south in a hurry.

Message 3 of 6 (590 Views)

★★ Guide

@benn1nat0r It is puzzling but I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and conclude that they're overwhelmed for whatever reason.  Still, it must not be a priority for them which is a shame- If they would at least tell us that we could manage our expectations. You're of course correct -just a little communication goes such a long way. 

Message 4 of 6 (566 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@lookinin I completely agree. I also really like their work, but just a tiny bit of communication here would make everyone feel so much better and enable us to manage our expectations.
Message 5 of 6 (541 Views)

@lookinin Cool article! Thanks!
Message 6 of 6 (503 Views)