Re: Personal ranking of every iteration of defensive spawnables from ops experie

by Iron_Guard8

Original Post

Personal ranking of every iteration of defensive spawnables from ops experience

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

I promised I would do it so here it is.

These will go worst to best in my opinion. Please feel free to correct or disagree with my statements.

These will account every iteration of the character. This will include cool down times and rarity in the games alongside overall useful positions. Golden gatling and perfume shroom are not included because they are simply reskins and not actually different to their stock counterpart.

F tier

Bfn breaker bot: This bot lacks damage at both hammers only coming to 26 total, has horrible accuracy, a 3 minute cool down, and he only counters ONE enemy in the entire game. Honestly hard to choose of who was bottom of the barrel between breaker bot, fume shroom, gatling pea, and bonk choy but somehow choy is pulling out here due to his punches hitting multiple opponents, decent hit reg, and being on smaller cool down.

Bfn fume shroom: slightly better than breaker bot due to more damage and more armor to counter but once again bfn hit detection absolutely murders this poor fellow right into f. Having a 3 minute cool down also doesn't help matters alongside enemies favoring range attacks a problem that also hurts every other bfn defender.

Bfn gatling pea: what good is even more shots than gw2's 8 (it Atleast appears to be more) if you miss half of them and the other half don't register? They have a 3 minute cool down and easily fall to TV head which puts them in F.

Bfn bonk choy and boxer bot: There's nothing redeemable about these characters at this point. Bfn defensive spawnable positions in some maps allows enemies to spawn on top of them and due to how trigger happy enemies are in bfn both fall really quickly. The fact that they also have a 2 minute cool down on top of all this makes them almost two of the worst characters in the entire series. They do Atleast have solid hit detection which can't be said of other bfn characters.

Bfn pea cannon: bad hit detection and getting decimated by tv heads puts pea cannon in F. The only thing that puts him at the top of F is that he is free and spammable.

D tier

Bfn doomshroom: has a 5 minute cool down, does not have many viable positions, and hit reg can leave zombies unscathed after his explosion. The reason he's not F is that when he does work he can deal some decent damage and he has high health.

Bfn scaredy shroom: his hit reg and aim isnt the worst but he's not great and his damage resistance while hiding is heavily inconsistent and he can simply be gunned down by tv heads before he gets a chance to hide

Gw2 snapdragon and gw2 mr toasty: The reason I believe they deserve this stems from the fact that while they deal a total of 48 damage it is over time with afterburn only unlike Bonk choy or boxer who can deal 40 damage rather quickly. The only semi decent thing about them. is that they aren't really uncommon to get, have high health for spawnables, have a few decent positions, and can atleast ignite multiple foes but sadly they just aren't  really worth it and much better options exist. There hit detection works so it atleast puts them above 75% of bfn characters. If it was visual design mr toasty could easily reach A.

Gw2 Bonk choy and boxer bot: the reason there above there bfn counterparts is that they're pretty cheap in gw2 and have some solid positions combined with the fact that they're not dealing with tv heads or overheal.

Bfn heal flower: healing overall is less effective in bfn and it doesn't help that the sun heal flower drops clips through the floor and objects. The rainbow flower output also makes bfn heal flower less effective at keeping herself alive. The reason she made it this high is that is overall still a good thing and her cool down isnt that long and she does actually have some solid areas to be put. Standing next to her also helps with the problem of sun clips so there's that atleast.

Bfn loudmouth bot: doesnt have many great positions, cant fight against tv heads, and has a cool down. Other than that he's fine I guess.

Bfn gatling bot: unlike gatling pea gatling bot is somehow fairly accurate and has good hit reg. The main reason he's this low is his cool down and inability to fight the 50 tv heads bfn throws at him that his damage simply can't effectively fight against

Bfn Explody bot: basically just better bfn doom shroom as his hit detection seems to actually work. Reason he's still D is his cool down and lack of great positions.

Bfn hide n shoot bot: his damage resistance is more consistent but sadly like Scaredy shroom the ranged enemies will hardly let him use it and he doesnt have many great spots.

Gw1 snapdragon: the reason he's higjer than gw2 is that he actually deals a constant 7 damage alongside afterburn thatvalso for some reason penetrates armor, however he's not common and much better and cheaper armor breakers exist in gw1.

Gw2 breaker bot: his damage still isnt all that great, he's not extremely common, and he takes twice as many hits as fume shroom to break armor. Despite this he now has 4 enemy types he counters and he has no cool down.

C tier

Bfn lightning reed: decent but the removal of the aoe attack and the long cool down moves down a character that can actually be decent due to electricity making up for the hit reg issues. Still gets clowned on by range like every other bfn Spawnable.

Bfn goop shroom: good but the healing zombies and scientists really defang him in the later waves alongside his rather mediocre range and cool down.

Bfn Mr electric: bfn lightning reed but better basically since he doesnt have bad hit reg (seriously why is bot hit reg better than pot hit reg in bfn?)

Gw2 loudmouth bot: He's good but he requires his targets to be upclose unlike goop shroom and he's not common. He's more of a character who keeps enemies in place for other bots or pots to shoot his stumnee targets which does make him a decent support.

Gw2 Monk choy: is actually tanky for a pot and can deal some decent damage however positioning is rather strained for him and he still won't last long against better zombies. Still puts up more of a fight than those below him on this list.

Bfn rocket bot: unlike pea cannon, rocket bot is both free and good. His hit detection works and he has decent damage. Sadly he's C since well you already know its wildflower.

Gw2 gatling bot and gatling pea: they're common, have good range, and have solid aim. However on their own they aren't that effective on the higher difficulties where enemies will just tank the stream of projectiles.

Gw2 Toxic gloom shroom: He's a good defensive Spawnable but his damage is more overtime than direct and he isnt that useful in the front lines.

Gw2 Mr toxic: what he lacks in damage he makes up for by having ranged attacks and an aoe effect to protect himself at close range. Not bad but overall not going to blow you or your enemies away.

Bfn dr heals: healing overall took a nlow in bfn and dr heals is slower than his gw counterpart but his cool down isn't long and it does heal multiple players at a time alongside a generally short cool down.

Gw1 and Gw2 goopshroom: One of the best support spawnables as he can slow enemies in their tracks for allies to defeat unfoetunately he can't deal good damage and shield enemies can resist his goop.

Gw2 fume shroom: mid range and mediocre damage but it can shred enemy armor (1-4 shots depending on enemy) to a point where its absolutelty required to make higher difficulties more bearable.

Gw1 and 2 pea cannon: can't really go wrong with this guy as he's cheap and does decent damage. Only reason he's mid is that better options exist.

Gw2 rocket bot: barely edges out pea cannon due to more projectiles per shot even if the damage is lower. Is also in C because like pea cannon better options exist.

B tier

Gw1 and 2 ice shroom: completely freezes enemies which allows allies time to defeat them. Only reason he's bottom of B is because better options exist for the same positions he is best at. 1 is slightly more powerful due to his attacks going through terrain more often and affecting weaker bosses but those situations don't come up enough to seriously rank him higher.

Gw1 and 2 Doomshroom: extremely lethal yet is better used in the back of the army due to his lengthy cool down. Fairly rare.

Gw2 Scaredy shroom and hide n shoot bot: im not ranking one above thw other because there fairly similar and fairly common but not every single position is great for them which is why they are lower.

Gw1 laser bean: suprisingly high damage in bursts but sadly let down by rarity and lower range than other ranged spawnables.

Gw2 lightning reed and mre electro: deal decent electric damage but arent fairly common and lack individual damage. Electro does have more health but lightning reed posseses an aoe for defense that keeps him next to electro.

Gw1 Pea repeater: an upgrade to the pea cannon that is extremely common and allows for double the effectiveness that puts him this high.

Gw1 fume shroom: much better damage than gw2 which significantly raises value but is only be due to rarity and other armor piercing pots in gw1.

Gw1 scaredy shroom: high damage that can pierce armor. Is also fairly common and has great resistance to enemy attacks. The piercing is what puts him higher than other snipers.

Gw1 fire peashooter: can apply fire damage which boosts dps significantly over the other members of the pea family. Extrememly common in gw1 packs.

Gw1 Ice peashooter: can freeze opponents after about 5 hits which is a very powerful ability that unlike fire peashooter also benefits allies due to their enemies being made into easy targets. Also very common in packs.

A tier

Explody bot: rare but deals better damage than doomshroom on same cool down. Fairly rare but the damage and positioning in the back near the garden make up for many faults.

Gw1 Bonk choy: *rips outhouse zombie in half* okay while he is kinda rare in gw1 his insane damage output of 150 that can bypass armor or just shred it makes him extremely powerful and the only thing that limits this character is his lack of range granting zombies mercy.

Gw2 Mr freezy: same reasoning as ice peashooter but he shoots faster in a semi three round burst that can be usable anywhere, is not extrememly rare, and he has more health than ice peashooter.

Gw1 and 2 Heal flower: self healing keeps them in the fight longer and healing is overall more effective in gw simce it relieves status effects allowing heal flowers effectiveness to shine through much more.

Gw2 Dr heals: barely edging out heal flower due to having more health ( why self heal when you can just not die lol) and healing entire groups with healing far more effevtive than his bfn counterpart.

Gw2 bamboo shoot: deals 80 damage across 10 airstrike projectiles with incredibly long range. Only thing holding him back is his low health, rarity, and lack of frontline viability.

Gw2 uplink bot: hard to put him above bamboo shoot but I think he edges out here due to more precise blasts and higher health.

S tier

Gw2 DJ uplink bot: much more damage, health, and fires much faster which gets him this high deapite his legendary rarity.

Gw1 bamboo shoot: deals 150 damage in airstrikes and gw1 positioning can give him rooftops that greatly expand his range. He shreds bosses and is fairly uncommon which shows why he was ultimately nerfed in gw2.

Please remind me if I forgot someone and feel free to disagree and offer reasons why.

One thing that suprised me while looking at every character was just how much better the bots are in bfn compared to pots, yeah they still get steamrolled by wildflowers but their aim and hit detection is SO much better in comparison.

Message 1 of 6 (844 Views)

Re: Personal ranking of every iteration of defensive spawnables from ops experie

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

I can't see anything to really disagree with, barring a couple minor quibbles.

Healing is actually too good in BfN, part of the game's problem is the proliferation of healing and overheals changing the TTK so drastically. The BfN version of Dr. Heals used to either not work at all, or work so poorly that natural regen worked better than the bot did, although that seems to be fixed these days. Now the pots/bots don't overheal and they do get shot a lot, but healing is really powerful in BfN.

I actually get annoyed in GW2 that the Dr.Heals as weeds love to take pot shots at it, and it can't heal itself! But do agree that it's a bit better when you have teammates around that can block for it and it can heal multiple zombies in its radius, which is usually better than the heal flower's ability to spawn healing suns.

I largely prefer how GW2 handles pots/bots but would like to see the pure melee ones (Bonk Choy, Monk Choy, and Boxer Bot) more like the GW version of Bonk Choy as if they can't move anyway, they really need to pack a wallop.

I always did wish that GW2 had all of the GW spawnables and more, but while we gained bots and a couple new plants, we also lost some. And then BfN comes in and make our choices so limited, and we needed more options not less!

Message 2 of 6 (786 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@Iron_Guard8 The problem with healing in bfn is that sunflower and scientist can make someone nearly unkillable by just hooking up to them, then you have upgrades that straight up reward you for health by being over aggressive and diving right into a horde of enemies while characters like freaking superbrainz are getting vampiric, and regen speed is pretty stupidly fast when you're not sprinting.

Its just that other healing option seem much better than than dr heals or heal flower that they become redundant when you have cheaper and better options while waiting for their cooldowns to pass.

It was always annoying to see your bits get sniped as a non scientist knowing that they were getting chipped down.

Gw1 had some wierd pot positions like the rooftops or the later dlc maps tossing every pot into the front of the garden. I do love that the end objectives involved them at the point of conflict like inside the main street building that allowed them to hold back the spawnables. Bf n did bring this back but its just not the same with how pathetic and spread out they are (not too mention the bfn maps are painfully short with little buildup).

Gw2 lacked final pots and great white norths first point lacks them from what ive seen, however they seem better positioned like the ones behind fences in zomburbia or aimed at the entrances in seeds of time.

Bonk choy, Snapdragons, and counterparts being buffed would make the roster solid overall for the gw2 spawnables as they're the underpowered ones (others could maybe use small buffs like fume and breaker against non armor) in the group.

The fact that bfn's new content for spawnables was just gonna be adding back old ones kinda speaks volumes.
Message 3 of 6 (777 Views)

Champion

I will use this post to discuss many of the types of summonables in general.

I will start with the Battle for Neighborville summonables: I do appreciate the cooldown system and it is a nice feature to have in my opinion. While I do not mind having to earn them from Sticker Packs and I own a lot of additional summonables that I can easily place at any time, having a cooldown system provides a more strategic placement, as once you have placed a summonable, you have to wait a cooldown before placing another one, except for the basic ones which is nice as you always have the option to place a summonable. The problem is that almost all of the summonables in Battle for Neighborville have bad accuracy and hit detection, making them nearly worthless in general situations. You will nearly never earn a vanquish with a summonable that you placed, except for perhaps Doom Shrooms and Explody Bots, which is quite disappointing overall.

All of the summonables on Garden Warfare 2 have had at least some use for me and I have had viability with each of them. Placement is always important though, depending on which summonable that you place. The close range summonables are probably the worst ones in my opinion, which is really unfortunate as I really do like these ones, although even the close range summonables have their uses if you place them strategically, if you force your enemies to engage up close to them to attack them or if you place it in an area where enemies want to be, you can get some good results from them. The heal summonables are always useful to have around, even if your team has a healer. The armor penetration ones have use under the right circumstances when you can use them against armored enemies. The airstrike summonables are rarer to come across, although they can be hidden away and can continually harass enemies with the airstrikes. The sniper summonables are insanely accurate and hit for high damage, so if they can be protected can really be useful against your enemies. The explosive summonables are great for dealing heavy damage to or clearing hordes of enemies. The freeze, electric, toxic, fire and stun summonables are great for additonal damage and for inflicting status effects on your enemies which make them easier to take out. Finally, the remainder of the summonables are great for ranged support and for dealing additional damage to your enemies.

Now to discuss the legendary summonables: I am quite sure that these have been discontinued and can no longer be bought. It is really cool that some of the legendary summonables are actually direct upgrades, especially the DJ Uplink Bot as the airstrike is more powerful and the bot has more health so it is more likely to survive. The Monk Choy is still useful, having more health and damage, which really benefits a close range bot. Even the Gatling Bot and Perfume Shroom are cool, they are simply reskins with no extra benefits, although I still enjoy the reskinned looks. The seasonal summonables, while simply being reskins, do have unique descriptions, really do look cool and I reckon they are amazing. I stocked up on each of the seasonal summonables, simply so that I can place them if I feel like doing so, even though it is more expensive to buy them overall.

Summonables are always great fun to experiment with and use, especially when I play Garden or Graveyard Ops!

Message 4 of 6 (748 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@TheSprinter85I'm on the opposite end in that I really don't like the cool down system as it doesnt feel like it encourages strategy so much as it forces you to only play with the free spawnables as the tvheads/wildflowers will practically wipe out every unique spawnable before you get a chance to save them, even when the hit detection is good for a majority of the game. I would much rather have the coin system many have recommended for the series.

Its hard to find legendary spawnables in games now a days and its a shame as a quick program fix would make rux sell them again and PC modders often add them back proving its possible.

Message 5 of 6 (739 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

I don't mind the cool down system in BfN as it means someone like me with thousands of consumables in GW2 can't just spam the best stuff while a newbie is stuck with small numbers of even basic ones and may have none of the rarer stuff, and that's not even including the legendary ones that Rux hasn't sold for a couple years now. My main issue with BfN's cool down for spawning AI is that there's so little variety in what you can summon, and of course the summonable TV Heads and Wildflowers that ruin the defensive summons at range which we've mentioned many times before.

While this is more about the bots/pots, it does extend to the mobile ones, and as I'm sure we've all seen in GW and GW2, the attackers will often spam nothing but the coffin/pirate barrel/outhouse zombies or vase/porcelain vase weeds which can get tedious to deal with. The timer system addresses this somewhat as it means the team has to allow others on their team to use the summon spots for the better stuff, but again, the lack of variety and those ranged focused AI mess the idea up. BfN often comes off like it wants to encourage teamwork, which I fully support, but then takes it away with some of the new abilities and design decisions.

They could keep a timer system for a new game, but they have to get rid of the TV Heads and Wildflowers (both from summons and from the game in general, it's rare I dislike something in PvZ, but these guys are just awful) and vastly increase the variety of stuff we can summon on both offense and defense.

Message 6 of 6 (599 Views)