Re: Favorite and least favorite thing from the 3 shooters

by gametrieuk

Original Post

Favorite and least favorite thing from the 3 shooters

★★★★★ Expert

As both a kind of fun activity and a way to discuss things we all like/dislike about all 3 games, I thought it was time to post this subject of conjecture; what’s your favorite and least favorite thing from each of the 3 current PvZ shooters? Or at least from any you’ve played?

For me it’s as follows:

Garden Warfare.

Favorite: Map aesthetic. While the first game’s maps have a bit too much roof top camping for my taste, and will need some tweaking for a future game, they all look great and feel like they all have purpose and fit together so well. There’s so much to love here, and part of why I still play the first game to this day; from the pirate ship, docks, and fort of Port Scallywag, to the golf course, nearby neighborhood, and crash site of Crash Course, it’s a lovely game.

Least Favorite: Lack of PvE options. Part of why this is my least played of the 3 shooters is that you can only play Garden Ops or PvP matches. If you want to level up your zombies, you have to PvP, and at times I just want to PvE and chill, which you can do in GW2 and BfN, but not in the first game. I do enjoy garden ops but I also enjoy graveyard ops and sometimes you really want to play a zombie, but don’t want to PvP.

Garden Warfare 2

Favorite: Backyard Battleground. There’s a lot to love in GW2, but for me, nothing compares to the Backyard Battleground. Maybe I gush about this a bit too often, but going from lobby shooters, including the original Garden Warfare, to this private playground as our home, is such a fantastic idea and experience. It’s best when it’s all brand new and you get rewarded so often and so enjoyable from finding all those fish, talking with the quest NPCs, and then opening up even more with the delivery quests, it’s a wonderful place to call home, and it legitimately feels like your own PvZ world. It could use more stuff to do and could be larger, but what we got is brilliant.

Least Favorite: Balance. GW2’s biggest issue is definitely balance. There are some bugs that linger that I wish would have been fixed back during its heyday (not that any modern game is bug free, but there’s a few small and not so small bugs that can mar your experience here), but balance remains my main issue in the game. Balancing so many variants isn’t exactly easy, and some progress had been made, but part of why you see certain variants so often and others not so much, is the persistent issues of balance that the game has to this day.

Battle for Neighborville

Favorite: Free roam regions. While they do lose their shine when you realize they all have the same basic progression (assemble the thing from multiple pieces, use the thing to open up the chests and the final boss, and then clean up everything else), and lacking depth once you hit 100%, these are still great fun and are a brilliant idea that I wish they could have expanded upon. There’s a lot of Easter eggs, great jokes, interesting puzzles, and places to see in these regions. When I want to jump into the game and just mess about, the regions are a great place to hang out, even today.

Least Favorite: Economy. One can argue that all the extra DLCs added to GW2 like the ‘Torch and Tail’ upgrade is bad, and they are, but BfN’s economy is awful. I have over 9 million coins in the game and absolutely nothing to spend them on now. In GW and GW2, even at level cap and having everything, coins can at least buy consumables and it took months/years to get there. Getting coins for matches, breaking stuff in the free roam regions, and other sources of coins all felt good like always early on in BfN, but once you finish the reward-o-tron and hit the level cap, there’s nothing to use them on so they feel useless so quickly that I was shocked. Add to that, the Feastivus pack while the game was in terrible shape, and of course the rainbow star FOMO issues we had until the game lost support, and BfN’s economy is the worst part of not just BfN, but of all 3 games.

Message 1 of 4 (561 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@Iron_Guard8 Gw1 favorite: map aesthetic. Going back to gw1 and there are so many details in the maps (gw2 has a great aesthetic too) and you notice so many cool little details like all the graffiti (we ate the peeple), signs (The end is near!), and propaganda like the crash course map where theres an image stating to be aware of fast moving golf carts showing a zombie chasing it or a brainz on board sign crossed out with tomatoes and if you go a little further into the crash you find a pile of brainz or shooting golf balls causes them to shoot across the map. Sharkbite shores I belive also had the shark photo. Zombies spawn in dead crypt areas while plants spawn in lovely little gardens. Gw1 absolutely nailed the cartoonish apocalypse where we fight in the remains of human civilization setting it was going for and it feels a lot like the og to me.

Imo bfn really dropped the ball on the games aesthetic and none of it feels like plants vs zombies.

Least favorite: lack of pve. If gw1 had solo play I'd probably play it a lot more than I do nowadays but since it has none of it it really grows tiresome dealing with 11 peashooters and soldier during matches.

Gw2 favorite: The variety. Gw2 by far has the most modes, maps, and characters in the pvz shooters and sure while not all of them were bangers there's more than enough to scratch an itch every player was going. Like pve? Well now you got solo ops, the campaign/infinity time, trials of gnomus, flag of power, just screwing around in the backyard in general, and boss hunts. Like PvP but have crappy internet well here's solo play! Like differing ways to play characters well here's over 100!

Least favorite? Tbh this ones hard to pick but id probably go with balancing. They needed a few more patches that targeted certain characters with buffs and nerds such as respectively buffing disco chomper while nerfing electro pea. A lot of the gw1 cast was actually pretty balanced in 2 imo.

Bfn most favorite: pve. No need to explain this.

Least favorite: The lack of variety. Its hard to choose least favorite with bfn as I think a lot of changes were made for the worst honestly. However variety is definetly a big one: we lost solo ops, capture the taco, half of the spawnable roster, over half of the character roster, less non turf maps than gw1, no alt abilities, no variants besides the poorly implemented legendary upgrades, no night maps, no map gimmicks like low gravity or weather, and lack of those so loveable little details in the map that made gw so enjoyable.

Torch and tail was a cashgrab but its not apart of the actual in-game coin economy that functioned pretty well in gw but shattered into a thousand pieces in bfn.
Message 2 of 4 (530 Views)

Champion

Here are my opinions of my most and least favourite things from all 3 shooters. I have not played GW1 so I will use features that I have heard about or seen:

GW1

Favourite: Unique modes look fun, such as Taco Bandits and Boss Mode.

Least Favourite: Lack of a backyard hub.

Remember, it is hard for me to say for sure what my actual least or most favourite features are for GW1, as I have not actually played the game.

GW2

Favourite: Boss Hunts.

Least Favourite: Not that much free-roam content, except for solo quests.

BFN

Favourite: Character upgrades and new characters.

Least Favourite: Bugs and glitches (as well as unfinished content).

Message 3 of 4 (498 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

GW1

Favorite: 8 classes, BFN and GW2 also have them, but it's pretty nostalgic to see them in GW1

Least favorite: The game looks mechanically horrible, leaning on your allies makes the whole game crash, Allied Hitbox, Hit detection problems (10X worse than in BFN or GW2), bomb physics and collision with them makes you simply teleport, abilities always seem unstable (see the hyper that looks like a teleport everytime using), and bad DDO applied sincerely until I got the game's status I thought he didn't have DDO because no one advanced, terrible regeneration that encourages even more camping.

GW2: 

Favorite: OPS, Well, I'm not an OPS fan and I honestly avoid playing it as much as possible, but I have to admit it's actually quite complete and attractive.

Least favorite: Maps, I'll take the opportunity here to say how GW2 maps simply destroy it, DDO exists and affects gameplay considerably, but maps that are straight and open lines with horrible high grounds, bad balance of classes on them, the fact that they have a lot of bugs, and appearing to be made for a game other than PVZ Shooters, makes them stand still and 100% camp, which makes the game look very unsightly most of the time.

BFN:

Favorite: Maps, This point for me was obvious, man the maps are basically perfect, they are balanced between all the classes they have, a very well built structure, they are so well built, that they make a game without DDO flow better than other 2 that have, the maps are so good that even with balance issues like 80's or snipers being extremely strong, it's possible to get around that, an excellent balance between open areas, choke points, and high grounds for all characters to gain advantages.

Least favorite: Basically the 2 Swarms, which 90% of the time are just annoying, and don't really add anything positive to the game.

Message 4 of 4 (473 Views)