Ransomware scam pop up screen when logging into Pogo using Google Chrome

by cafedelon

Original Post

Ransomware scam pop up screen when logging into Pogo using Google Chrome

[ Edited ]
★ Expert

On 6-14-19 for the first time when I tried to log into  the Pogo website using Google Chrome, I started receiving a scam popup screen telling me my computer is locked and that I have to call the phone number listed to have it unlocked.  The website listed is Blisstech.website.  I worked with the Symantec support group who provides my antivirus protection to investigate.  The Symantec tech says they have been aware of this new malicious attack online for the past few days.  My antivirus software could not find it or remove it from my computer.  In an follow up comment I provide updated information after my online chat with Symantec support was completed.  Attached is a screen shot of the attack pop up screen. So far, this is only occurring when logging into Pogo.com using Google Chrome.  That is because there is an Ad link near the top of the page after searching for Pogo on Google. 

I have changed the topic name of this issue in hopes it might receive more attention.  I checked again on 6-15-19 (one day after my first report) and there is still an active randsomware link on Google Chrome that references Pogo.com to trap people who think they are logging onto the Pogo website.  One way to stop the pop up notice which freezes one's screen is to use Windows Task Manager to end the Google task by pressing the Ctrl-Alt-Delete key combination to bring up the option of using the Task Manager, then select End for the Google task.   See the attached screen shots from this comment and the other comment I've made.  The link looks similar enough to the official Pogo site link to lure in Pogo players.  This malicious pop up is what is called "fake technical support" to encourage people to pay the scammers money to unlock and remove the screen when logging into Google.  Turning off one's computer and returning to Google might help remove it, but do NOT use the same link or it will return.  

Message 1 of 7 (545 Views)

Re: I am being blocked from the Club Pogo website when trying to log in using Go

★ Expert

While waiting on hold for an online chat representative at Symantec, I also filed a report of this scam pop up screen with Microsoft.  

Message 2 of 7 (533 Views)

Re: I am being blocked from the Club Pogo website when trying to log in using Go

★★★ Pro
@cafedelon
that is fake microsoft and is a scam, that is very common especially when your pop-up setting is not set to default most web attackers find a way to interfere your browsing activity...best thing to do is to clear your history and restore your setting to default...if that pop-up page happen again open task manager ...end browser session and have a disk clean up and restart your pc also ccleaner helps...
Message 3 of 7 (522 Views)

★ Expert

I have completed troubleshooting of this event with tech support from Symantec-Norton.  After an hour of scanning my computer and troubleshooting, no virus, malware or other malicious program was found on my computer to cause this event.  What was discovered through the process is that there are 2 links to the Pogo website that appear when searching for Pogo using Google Chrome.  The first link is an Ad link.  The second is the official Pogo.com link.  The Ad link also lists the "Pogo.com" website, but the URL is not the same, and the Ad link is vulnerable to the pop up scam screen that I have received.  Even after the Symantec tech did a throughout review of my computer, the scam pop up persisted IF I click on the Ad pogo.com link using Google Chrome.  His conclusion was that the problem is a result of trying to log into the Pogo website using the non official Pogo.com URL address.

I suggest EA review the URL that I receive when clicking on the Ad pogo.com link.  IF one of the advertisers is causing this pop up screen, it would be good to remove that advertiser from the Ad link.

Here is a screen shot of the two links to the Pogo website.  The first link is the Ad link.  The second is the official Pogo.com link, which does not cause the scam pop up to occur upon trying to log in.

Message 4 of 7 (516 Views)

★ Expert

One comment I made above is to encourage EA to check the Ad link to pogo.com.  However, if web page associated with that Ad link is totally separate from the Pogo games web page and is just being used as a scam launching point, then disregard that suggestion.

Message 5 of 7 (498 Views)

★ Expert

On June 17, I no longer see the scam website Ad link on Google when searching for Pogo.

Message 6 of 7 (442 Views)

★★★ Pro
@cafedelon
Good too hear from you...As I stated it is a fake microsoft site created by
bad person, a scam (too many of them and sometimes they hijack your home page)...Always go to OFFICIAL site...
Message 7 of 7 (435 Views)