Quinn's Aquarium smells really fishy!

by cafedelon

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Quinn's Aquarium smells really fishy!

★ Expert

Today I discovered that the Quinn's Aquarium game has been altered and it is not as easy as before to collect 6 shells by matching 6 pairs of blue tiles with shells.  That was the goal of the daily challenge for April 9, 2019.  I assume the change was made by the creator of the game, Jolly Bear, rather than by Electronic Arts (EA), owner of the Pogo website.

As anyone who has played Quinn's Aquarium Mahjong knows, it is not easy to complete this game without using power ups. Power ups are purchased with gems, which cost money to buy.  I typically use 2 power ups on average when playing this game. Occasionally I can complete a game without the use of a power up.  The shuffle is my power up of choice.  

In the past when there was a daily challenge or badge challenge for collecting 6 shells by the end of the game, all that was required was to play the "Challenge round" where chances of collecting 5 to 6 shells is good.  If one is not given the Challenge round puzzle on the first try, then it was possible to restart the game as many times as necessary until a Challenge round puzzle was given.  And it didn't take too many tries until a Challenge round was given. 

BUT all that seems to have changed!  Today there was a NEW change that I observed in playing Quinn's Aquarium. The game now gives a player a puzzle that MUST be completed before moving on to another puzzle.  I restarted the game well over 10 times hoping to receive a Challenge round puzzle, but each time I received the SAME puzzle again and again.  So I was forced to play the puzzle given by the game.  I also learned a new pattern that is now present in the game.  There are 4 puzzles given that are not Challenge round puzzles, and then the 5th puzzle is a Challenge round puzzle.   After that, the pattern repeats.  Four rounds of non-Challenge round puzzles followed by one Challenge round puzzle.  

On the 5th round (the Challenge round), I tried to collect 6 shells, but only gathered 5, which happens sometimes. It all depends on how well the game is played during the challenge round, AND it also helps greatly if power ups are used when one runs out of similar tiles to match to avoid having to start over.   On my 10th round (the second Challenge round given)  I did successfully collect 6 shells and I completed the daily challenge.  But it cost me 80 gems to complete this challenge! To complete the 10 games took me a total of 20 power ups, and at a cost of 40 gems per 10 shuffle power ups. That is a grand total of 80 gems for ONE daily challenge!   

I know that sounds like Cha Ching music to EA's ears when they hear that.  But wait... as I slam my hand down on the buzzer ... BZZZZZZZ!   WRONG!   As much as I enjoy the Quinn's Aquarium game, largely because of the story that accompanies it, there is NO WAY I will be spending 40 to 80 gems to collect 6 shells in the future.  Before it only cost me 2 power ups (for 8 gems) by being able to select the Challenge round puzzle myself.  Had I played better on the first Challenge round, it would have cost me "only" 40 gems for 10 power ups (at an average of 2 used per game).  NO game is worth that!

So once again, the pleasant light that used to shine at the Pogo website is unfortunately becoming dimmer and dimmer.  I wish it weren't true, but I see a decline in experience at the Pogo website.  After all, we come here to have fun.  When the fun dies out, what is the point of staying?

Message 1 of 9 (910 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Quinn's Aquarium smells really fishy!

Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us @cafedelon.

We will pass it on to the team.

Darko

Darko.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 9 (883 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us @cafedelon.

We will pass it on to the team.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 9 (884 Views)

★ Expert

I played 10 more Quinn's Aquarium games in the past day trying to find ways to improve my gameplay so that I use fewer power ups to complete a game.  I've have been able to reduce my dependence on power ups somewhat. I've done this by making fewer mistakes (mainly by not clicking on tiles where there is no matching tile available on the board) and my working on strategies to obtain more blue shell ties matches (mainly by more quickly removing other tiles to reach the blue tiles and by reducing the number of high tile stacks). 

I was surprised to complete 3 consecutive games without using a power up. That is as good of an average as before the change was made to the game, where we now cannot restart the game to try to receive a Challenge round puzzle.  I still have to use power ups during some games but I am close to cutting in half the number of power ups I use.  Now my average is approximately 1 power up per game where before it was 2 powers up per game. 

That is more reasonable when trying to collect 6 shells when that is a challenge to complete.  Even if I can no longer restart the game until a Challenge round puzzle is available to improve the chances of collecting 6 shells, the cost in power ups (and gems) is now cut in half.  With an average of 1 power up per game, I can reach the Challenge round in a maximum of 5 rounds.  In terms of cost, that is a total of 5 power ups or 20 gems to complete the challenge of 6 shells in one game.

That is still more costly than before the recent change to the game was made, but it's not too costly, considering that I am also completing a total of 5 games toward advancing in the story line.  However, I do know that for those who cannot afford to spend that many gems on a one game challenge, this new change to the game play will still upset them.  I would like to see the game changed back to like it was before.     

Message 3 of 9 (872 Views)

★★ Novice
@cafedelon I'm sick of EA making us buy gems to play weekly challenge games......most offensive Quinn's Aquarium/ I play many games and may win 1 out of 25 or more without buying gems for power ups. This is just ridiculous! We can't win the badge without power ups, so quit making it a weekly challenge.
Message 4 of 9 (817 Views)

★★ Novice

We should not have to buy gems for power ups in order to win the weekly badge.

Message 5 of 9 (816 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I totally agree...I've played at least 100 games this week and have not even come close to earning the badge (4 keys out of 40).  Without power ups, I cannot win.  I appreciate a challenge, but when it becomes beyond frustrating, it just isn't worth my time and effort.  I shudder when I see a Quinn's Aquarium badge challenge because I know I'm not going to earn it, no matter how much time I put into the effort.

Message 6 of 9 (744 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Intriguing.... I don't even play for badges.... I play simply for relaxation... going through the visual patterns while listening to the music. 

Moreover I choose to watch the ads, & yes, I click on ones appropriate to my interests, so EA already obtains financial support through my time here.

But I was startled to realize how many dollars ...not pennies or dimes... I'm sinking into power-ups just to complete games!

Frankly I don't need "challenging" activities; my business provides those. 

I'll spend $20/mo (vs /wk), then listen to taped melodies and spend the "savings" elsewhere.

Thanks for the 15 year ride. 

Message 7 of 9 (618 Views)

★ Expert
@QsilQ , I know how you feel as do many others. It's a shame what has happened to Pogo. Sometimes it's just not possible to turn back the clock.
Message 8 of 9 (599 Views)

★★★ Novice

I totally agree!   We should also be allowed to purchase power-ups with what we earn in the game.

Message 9 of 9 (190 Views)