Re: I Can't Play Games Unless I Disable AdBlock Plus (and Then I Get Spam)!

by arribamom418

Original Post

Accepted Solution

I Can't Play Games Unless I Disable AdBlock Plus (and Then I Get Spam)!

★★★ Newbie

I use AdBlock Plus in order to get rid of all the spam that pops up on Pogo (seriously, I get AT LEAST one new tab on Chrome with each new page load)... but if I use AdBlock Plus, I can't play games with pop-ups. Does anyone have a solution for working around this, aside from disabling AdBlock Plus every time I want to play a game with a pop-up? Thanks in advance for responding!

Message 1 of 5 (3,297 Views)

Accepted Solution

Hero (Retired)

@silverkinz 

If you have not already done so, change your browsers Pop-up Blocker settings to 'Do not allow any site to show pop-ups, then add the following Pogo URLs to your browsers Pop-up blockers exception list so you will still be able to access and play games on Pogo:

pogo.com
game3.pogo.com
pogospike-prod.pogo.com

If you have any toolbars such as Google or Yahoo for example you will either need to so the same thing with their pop-up blockers

or simply turn the toolbars off.  

Also check to see if you've inadvertently installed any unwanted ad-ons. It's standard practice for companies to include any variety of other unneeded "free" programs such as toolbars and "deal" programs along with what you expected in the (recommended) full download installs, for example,Java, Flash and Browser updates and even anti-virus programs carry such add-ons. In order to avoid downloading these additional add-ons, always choose the custom install and uncheck the additional content.

Hope this helps, Just  Image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To easily locate your posts just click on your screen name then select HQ Profile.
If an answer has helped you, please click accept solution as it may help others with the same issue.
If you are especially happy with someone's response, reward them by clicking on "XP".
Please note, I am not an EA employee, I'm just a volunteer helper on AHQ.

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (3,491 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@silverkinz 

If you have not already done so, change your browsers Pop-up Blocker settings to 'Do not allow any site to show pop-ups, then add the following Pogo URLs to your browsers Pop-up blockers exception list so you will still be able to access and play games on Pogo:

pogo.com
game3.pogo.com
pogospike-prod.pogo.com

If you have any toolbars such as Google or Yahoo for example you will either need to so the same thing with their pop-up blockers

or simply turn the toolbars off.  

Also check to see if you've inadvertently installed any unwanted ad-ons. It's standard practice for companies to include any variety of other unneeded "free" programs such as toolbars and "deal" programs along with what you expected in the (recommended) full download installs, for example,Java, Flash and Browser updates and even anti-virus programs carry such add-ons. In order to avoid downloading these additional add-ons, always choose the custom install and uncheck the additional content.

Hope this helps, Just  Image

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To easily locate your posts just click on your screen name then select HQ Profile.
If an answer has helped you, please click accept solution as it may help others with the same issue.
If you are especially happy with someone's response, reward them by clicking on "XP".

Message 2 of 5 (3,492 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Hey Just,

Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately, they haven't solved the issue. When I make exceptions in Chrome's settings, nothing changes... until I make exceptions in AdBlock Plus' settings as well. When I do that, the pop-ups for games (e.g., Lottso) don't immediately come up. Instead, a new tab will open, which contains some kind of spam. Once I close that tab and try opening the pop-up for the game again, it works. I just wish Pogo didn't have so much spam...! I shouldn't have to disable AdBlock Plus in order to play games.

Thanks in advance for any other ideas people may have!

(Oh, and Just, I will go ahead and re-install Java [using the custom options] to ensure I'm not accidentally including any unwanted software...)

EDIT: Hmmm. After re-installing Java and using the tips Just provided, I haven't noticed any unwanted tabs open on Chrome. I'll post again if anything goes awry, but for now, the issue seems to be resolved. Standard smile Thanks so much!!!

Message 3 of 5 (3,284 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@silverkinz 

You're welcome,  and thanks for the update. Confusedmileyhappy:

Just  Image

Message 4 of 5 (3,267 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I pay a fee to be in the Pogo club but for months I'e just been wasting money because I'm locked from playing because of the ad blocker.  This is so unfair to paying members.

Message 5 of 5 (1,915 Views)