Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Feels like the end

by GhostDoggSamurai

Original Post

Feels like the end

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I purchased anthem at launch and had honestly had a good time with it, but the sum of the problems:  delayed content, lack of loot, technical issues, indecipherable/broken power values, phantom deaths, and a dwindling player base have caught up with me and I'm not feeling a need to log in.  I did log in twice this past week to try the new stronghold, only to be booted back to the startup screen multiple times due to "server shut down".  I was able to finally complete it on GM2, only to be rewarded with blue and purple drops.  Even masterworks are generally useless at this point.  In fact I cant remember the last time I kept a piece of loot past the end mission briefing.  It's clear the game is still far from finished and doesnt respect the players time (or money for purchasing it) and I can only assume the studio and publisher share a similar opinion of their consumers.  I imagine I will dip in from time to time but I cant be alone in feeling as though Anthem is basically dead in the water.  It will likely be six months to a year before it resolves any of its major issues, and resembles a polished final product (nevermind the 90 day roadmap)  By then I'm afraid people will have recognized what ea and bioware set out to do in promoting an unfinished and broken product and move on.  Good luck to all who worked on this game I hope you can salvage it and repair your reputation, but I will be wary of both ea and bioware in the future.  Huge fan to indifferent skeptic in less than 90 days,  hows that for a roadmap?

Message 1 of 12 (1,362 Views)

★ Apprentice

I can't help but think that EA is stopping Bioware from speaking to gamers. There's no logical reason for Bioware to avoid communication even if you only have bad news.

At least if we knew what their plans were we could keep some of the players from leaving. As it is, there's no news, so everyone is assuming that EA will close everything down like they did with Andromeda. They stopped communicating just before they shut everything down on that game and this looks like the same pattern.

Legally speaking they MUST complete the roadmap. They've made a contract with players to complete these parts of the game. They can delay them, but they can't just move on. If they do then they're giving ammunition to people who want to take legal action.

I think they've gone quiet in order to finish the roadmap and then close the servers. It's the only thing that makes sense Standard smile

Message 2 of 12 (1,335 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I tend to think the silence is indicative of their understanding of how transparent their deception has become.  They knew exactly what they were releasing, how broken it was, and the amount of time and effort it would take to have Anthem resemble a finished product. There is literally nothing they can say, short of admission, that would ring true anyway.   It should have been delayed or cancelled. I can understand EA pushing for release.  Bioware had been taking money for seven years and this is where they were at.  12-18 months of actual development.  Release it, make some money back, drag it out for PR, then shut it down.  Same as Andromeda, a game I also supported.  Sadly, the Bioware name is dead to me and with these kind of practices and outcomes the studio itself probably isnt far behind.  I wont be blindly supporting them in the future, unless it's a mass effect remaster collection,  I'd buy that on a heartbeat, cuz I'm a sucker.

Message 3 of 12 (1,307 Views)

★★ Guide

Enough.  It's way too early for this doom and gloom BS.  The game has barely been out. The developers know there are issues and are not, finally, admitting to it.  They are doing what they need to do which is to focus on fixing their core game before content updates and what not.  Other games have had as rocky, or even rockier a launch and they came back strong and healthy.  Not saying that's going to happen here, but it's foolish to start reading the obituaries.

Message 4 of 12 (1,265 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@W2RD-1982 wrote:

Enough.  It's way too early for this doom and gloom BS.  The game has barely been out. The developers know there are issues and are not, finally, admitting to it.  They are doing what they need to do which is to focus on fixing their core game before content updates and what not.  Other games have had as rocky, or even rockier a launch and they came back strong and healthy.  Not saying that's going to happen here, but it's foolish to start reading the obituaries.

The obituary has long since been read. We are at the wake.

Message 5 of 12 (1,232 Views)

★★ Guide

@Green_Legend_Ran wrote:

@W2RD-1982 wrote:

The obituary has long since been read. We are at the wake.

Right.
Message 6 of 12 (1,224 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Theres no doom and gloom,  it's just an honest assessment of the state in which the game was released and the effect its had on my (and possibly others) enthusiasm for the product going forward.  Anthem has been out, that's released to the public and sold for a profit, for almost 3 months and we're supposed to be commending bioware for finding the time to try to fix the "core game"?They might have considered postponing release until they had a working product, that would have been commendable.  I've never seen a AAA game go gold with this many issues.  Its frankly pathetic, bordering on deceptive, and not worthy of defense.  If they fix it in six months or a year I'll give it a chance.  Heck I played some last night.  Three strongholds, three legendary contracts, zero pieces of meaningful loot, one pilot error, same feeling that 90 days in this thing is dead in the water.  Remember we should be nearing the end of their promised roadmap by now not waiting for basic issues to be resolved.  I'm left wondering if they've even filled the "loot system designer" job they posted a good month after the games release........core systems indeed.  I enjoyed anthem. I saw the promise it held but after this long I just cant give Bioware a pass. They've used up all the goodwill I've held for them (well, the old bioware anyway) and I dont think I'm being unfair.  With the game I see before me, and the indifference of the media and playerbase its certainly not BS.

Message 7 of 12 (1,138 Views)

★★★★ Newbie
Dude I played for an hour and a half this morning and had 5 crashes and the only legendary that drop fell threw the floor on the map. Game is broken
Message 8 of 12 (1,107 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I deleted the game after reading the article detailing the depth of their deceptions.  I feel cheated...

Message 9 of 12 (1,052 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@fvk_03 wrote:

Huge fan to indifferent skeptic in less than 90 days,  hows that for a roadmap?

I hate to admit it but this is how I am feeling at the moment, and not just about Anthem, but also about Bioware. I've been playing a lot of other games recently. When I do play Anthem it's for a shorter amount of time each time. There's just not enough there to come back to. The killer for me is the Cataclysm not even coming close to its potential, and being a temporary mode. If there is not something very special planned for E3, it might just be game over. There's going to be too many other games that will walk all over it and away with people's attention and then eventually with their time and money.

There is just so much potential for this game that isn't being realised! It's Destiny - all over again, but somehow worse. How do you top that piece of crap and why would you follow its example?

@ElectricBill360 wrote:

Legally speaking they MUST complete the roadmap. They've made a contract with players to complete these parts of the game. They can delay them, but they can't just move on. If they do then they're giving ammunition to people who want to take legal action.

I think they've gone quiet in order to finish the roadmap and then close the servers. It's the only thing that makes sense Standard smile

Even if they aren't legally-bound, reneging on something like that completely would damage reputations left, right and centre, even more than they are already. That's the best case scenario. In the worst case, it would be business suicide. Hey - remember when EA was the biggest game company in the world? Those days don't look like they'll be coming back anytime soon.

Message 10 of 12 (987 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help