When are they going to fix the bug?

by jj48car

Original Post

Accepted Solution

When are they going to fix the bug?

★★★ Guide

When is EA going to fix the bug where cards like Soul Patch and Planetary Gladiator can continue redirecting damage even while invulnerable (e.g. by effects like Force Field or Escape through Time)?

Seriously, redirecting is ok, and invulnerability isn't always broken, but allowing the two to combine was a significant oversight on the part of the developers.  Simple solution?  Just make redirect only happen if the card isn't invulnerable.

Message 1 of 4 (753 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: When are they going to fix the bug?

★★★ Guide
Your complaint may have some merit, but it is misleading. Three things. One, the subject about which you gripe is not and has never been a bug. Damage redirection + “invulnerability” is an intended combo... it is not one unique to PvZ, and unlike some combos it does not end the game - although it does make the game a lot harder for the player playing against it. I grant you that it is an “unfun” combo. Personally, I’d rather lose straight away than face a situation I know is hopeless. Maybe you agree? But being more frustrating than other combos does not make it better than other combos.

Two: invulnerability to damage does not equal invulnerability. Cards that cannot “be hurt” can still be killed, moved, or bounced... to name some options.

Three: the mark of how degenerate a combo is is, I think, how often it wins games. In PvZ, damage redirect + damage prevention is usually a temporary situation. The zombie version uses a trick, which a deck can only have four of... which only lasts one turn... and which (in this game, unlike in some others such as Magic) thankfully cannot be recurred. The plant version uses an environment, so you have the option of overwriting the environment in addition to killing/bouncing/moving Soul Patch. That’s actually not bad for disruption possibilities.

All in all, while your complaint represents a way to win (which might also be annoying), it does not by any means IMO represent the most consistent or degenerate way to win... and thus does not need “fixed.”

I’m sorry. You sound like a zombie sympathizer and you’ve been active on the boards, which I like... I want to be on your side... I just don’t see it, here.

View in thread

Message 2 of 4 (1,220 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Guide
Your complaint may have some merit, but it is misleading. Three things. One, the subject about which you gripe is not and has never been a bug. Damage redirection + “invulnerability” is an intended combo... it is not one unique to PvZ, and unlike some combos it does not end the game - although it does make the game a lot harder for the player playing against it. I grant you that it is an “unfun” combo. Personally, I’d rather lose straight away than face a situation I know is hopeless. Maybe you agree? But being more frustrating than other combos does not make it better than other combos.

Two: invulnerability to damage does not equal invulnerability. Cards that cannot “be hurt” can still be killed, moved, or bounced... to name some options.

Three: the mark of how degenerate a combo is is, I think, how often it wins games. In PvZ, damage redirect + damage prevention is usually a temporary situation. The zombie version uses a trick, which a deck can only have four of... which only lasts one turn... and which (in this game, unlike in some others such as Magic) thankfully cannot be recurred. The plant version uses an environment, so you have the option of overwriting the environment in addition to killing/bouncing/moving Soul Patch. That’s actually not bad for disruption possibilities.

All in all, while your complaint represents a way to win (which might also be annoying), it does not by any means IMO represent the most consistent or degenerate way to win... and thus does not need “fixed.”

I’m sorry. You sound like a zombie sympathizer and you’ve been active on the boards, which I like... I want to be on your side... I just don’t see it, here.
Message 2 of 4 (1,221 Views)

★★★ Guide

Honestly, I couldn't possibly care less how often it comes up or how many ways there are to deal with it. The fact that the possibility for an utterly broken situation exists is grounds enough to change it.

If the developers did indeed intend for this to happen, then they were trolling players something awful. Personally, I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it was an oversight. (Though, I suppose their track record with the daily challenges does indicate that whether trolling or incompetent, they don't really care about players enjoying the game.)

Message 3 of 4 (732 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

definitely not a bug, and it was intended to be a combo.

Message 4 of 4 (620 Views)